• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dealing with Pressure

TipZ_SSBM

Smash Rookie
So I was playing at a local yesterday and lost to a falco and a fox as marth. Throughout the sets both players would pressure my shield using a safe aerial-> shine-> wave shine. I was scared to try to shieldgrab it and was wondering how to deal with this sort of pressure. does washining on shield lose to shield grab? Do I need to wd oos through the spacie and turn around grab? Thanks for the help!

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
late aerial waveshine back is safe for the spacie if done right. your best bet is to mixup what you do before you shield by either dash farward or backwards into shield same goes for wd into shield back or forward. to extend on that you can tilt your shield upwards.
if you do all of these things sometimes, the spacie have a harder time spacing correctly and thus they cant fully rely on muscle memory.
if you force them to react or second guess themselves they are more likely to mess up an lcancel and you can shield grab before the shine hits your shield.

apart from that buffering a roll, buffering a jump (with cstick, while holding shield) and wavedashing back out of shield are good options.

again, dont be predictable with what you wanna do, or else the spacie player will pick up on that and simply touch your shield with anything and punish the roll.

hope that helps

TipZ_SSBM

Smash Rookie
late aerial waveshine back is safe for the spacie if done right. your best bet is to mixup what you do before you shield by either dash farward or backwards into shield same goes for wd into shield back or forward. to extend on that you can tilt your shield upwards.
if you do all of these things sometimes, the spacie have a harder time spacing correctly and thus they cant fully rely on muscle memory.
if you force them to react or second guess themselves they are more likely to mess up an lcancel and you can shield grab before the shine hits your shield.

apart from that buffering a roll, buffering a jump (with cstick, while holding shield) and wavedashing back out of shield are good options.

again, dont be predictable with what you wanna do, or else the spacie player will pick up on that and simply touch your shield with anything and punish the roll.

hope that helps
Sorry, I miscommunicated what the spacies were doing. After the first shine, they would wavedash forward into another shine. Is this able to be shieldgrabbed?

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
yes it is

Waveshine Into Another Shine
1 / 1 (hits)
2 / hitlag
3 / hitlag
4 / hitlag
5 / hitlag
6 / 2
7 / 3
8 / 4 jump starts
9 / 5
10 / 6 stun ends
11 / 7
12 / 8
13 / 9 wavedash begins
14 / 10
15 / 11
16 / 12
17 / 13
18 / 14
19 / 15
20 / 16
21 / 17
22 / 18
23 / 19 (shine hits)

which gives you a 5 frame window on paper.
problem comes in if they wavedash through you. if they have a really long wavedash you need to start the grab early after the hitstun from the first shine ends

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
keep in mind that you need to "read" the waveshine forward with the grab. if the spacie instead doubleshines you are gonna get shined during the startup on your grab.
These situations are unreactable. which means that you should make your descision based on what happened previously. If the spacie literally spams waveshine forward you should, with practice, be able to shield grab him every time

flyboy__

Smash Cadet
I feel like up b OoS could beat shine waveshine pressure, since it doesn't matter if the spacie is in front or behind you for your move to connect. But like Scroll said, if they mix-up with double shine after the aerial, you're kinda toast.

Top Bottom