• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dealing with Rollers in FG with Luigi?

McZaxon

Smash Cadet
NNID
McZaxon
Switch FC
SW-0554-7774-1020
Hi everyone.

I recently came across one of those players on for glory: the roller. Now usually, and I genually mean this, I'm decent at reading rolls. But when I come across someone who just strictly rolls, It looks like a suck BIG time. I mean really! It's so weird how well I play against harder opponents, but then look like trash against these types of players.

I'll generally get a few reads in the fight because I notice their pattern and try to follow up and punish. But then, my reads will start to be out of range, or just completely miss! Then I become afraid to approach them. And that's usually when I rolled on and punished myself. I notice that I also sort of go on autopilot and start unsafely spot dodgeing and attacking. And then I'll get angry and throw things.... xD

Does anyone have any experience or has experienced this and can help me? Any advice would be appriciated! Thanks guys and gals!

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
I play on a 3DS and I use pivot grabs and pivot fsmash/usmash to beat roll spammers.

D

Deleted member

The worst experience that I had with a roller was during a fight against a Rosalina. Once I took out their Luma, he just spammed the hell out of rolling, limiting my chances to punish because Luigi's ability to punish them is... limited in my eyes.

The best advice that I can give is to use his up and down smashes; these two moves have great range and punishing abilities. The Luigi Cyclone is decent in my eyes as it lasts for a while and it helps that it's a multi hit move. Pivot grabs also help because it increases Luigi's range and will allow him to set up a down throw and punish. If you want to be disrespectful, go for a Super Jump Punch.

DJ Delta

Smash Journeyman
If they keep rolling away from you, punish the second roll, not the first one. Eventually you'll catch up with them and you can dash grab, running up smash etc. Basically you get to the point where they end up rolling before they do. I struggle with this too some times but I hope this helps. If they roll behind a lot down smash may help, since it comes out relatively quick and actually hits harder from behind as well.

J~MAN

Smash Rookie
Remember if they roll behind you, just dsmash. Rolling is very predictable so adjust to it and use the knowledge of them rolling to their advantage.

Kursed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kursedx
The worst roller character in the entire game is samus and that's annoying as hell. I feel you. be sure you down smash often and spam fireballs so they can't charge up their blue ball of death. Down smashing is perfect if they are near the edge so they have to roll into your leg as it comes around.

McZaxon

Smash Cadet
NNID
McZaxon
Switch FC
SW-0554-7774-1020
Thanks everyone for your advice! I will use all of it to my advantage on FG now. in fact, ive even gotten a perfect winning streak now against friends who do this because of everyones advice!

Thanks again everyone for taking the time to help me out!

Top Bottom