• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Detailed Roy vs Chrom Thread

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
Way better is relative. Still pretty bad for Roy too. I really don't like how people seem to act like Roy's is fine now.
I don't. With how airdodges are being handled this time and most recoveries have been nerfed, Roy is gonna have an even harder time offstage than Smash 4, but since the alternative happens to have it even harder for some, it makes the choice clear who has a better recovery for them.
Doesn't help that the Belmonts are bottom 15 in air speed (0.94). Then again, one has to get through their zoning first.
I'm still waiting to see if Roy having higher air acceleration is true(please be true, it'll at least somewhat make up for the fact that the double jump goes less distance).

Last edited:

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
Way better is relative. Still pretty bad for Roy too. I really don't like how people seem to act like Roy's is fine now.
It's not great, but it's still perfectly usable. Roy's recovery mixups only got better with the airdodge changes IMO (maybe this is just me but I found airdodging offstage was usually ineffective with Roy), Blazer is still difficult to challenge for most characters in a lot of situations, and he gets multiple chances to make it back if he saves his jump, which is something a lot of characters won't have the luxury of doing. Additionally, I've heard reports that Roy's air acceleration was buffed in the transition, which is huge for his recovery (and neutral but I digress) if true.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
It's not great, but it's still perfectly usable. Roy's recovery mixups only got better with the airdodge changes IMO (maybe this is just me but I found airdodging offstage was usually ineffective with Roy), Blazer is still difficult to challenge for most characters in a lot of situations, and he gets multiple chances to make it back if he saves his jump, which is something a lot of characters won't have the luxury of doing. Additionally, I've heard reports that Roy's air acceleration was buffed in the transition, which is huge for his recovery (and neutral but I digress) if true.
Real question is by how much was his Air Acceleration buffed because everyone got their mobility buffed by around 5%-10% with some characters getting either minor increases relative or major increases relative.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
https://twitter.com/Kelkador/status/1068972106568867842

So I saw someone show off using Chrom's Up B as a spike and I learned some things from it (going off this person's notes)

• It's hard to pull on small characters
  • It's easier to pull on fast fallers
  • It's fairly easy to setup into
  • Chrom seems to always die second so it can be used if both parties have one stock to secure the win
  • Chrom can only survive this and get the spike if he grabs a ledge due to a hitbox on landing canceling the spike

Last edited:

liudaepic

Smash Rookie
According to Kurogane Hammer, Roy and Chrom have:
-4th fastest air speed
-12th fastest run speed
-26th fastest walk speed
-36th most weight

Although not 100% sure, we can reasonably assume that Roy and Chrom have the 5th fastest fall speed too.

J0eyboi

Smash Ace
According to Kurogane Hammer, Roy and Chrom have:
-4th fastest air speed
-12th fastest run speed
-26th fastest walk speed
-36th most weight

Although not 100% sure, we can reasonably assume that Roy and Chrom have the 5th fastest fall speed too.
Tied for 10th, actually. 17th for gravity (16th excluding echoes I believe).

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Does anybody know any combos or strings into Aethercide? I’m hearing a lot of talk about suicide kills with Aether.

Justin Allen Goldschmidt

Smash Journeyman
Does anybody know any combos or strings into Aethercide? I’m hearing a lot of talk about suicide kills with Aether.
Jab works best, and since you can do it out of run now, it's pretty likely you'll land jabs near the ledge. Otherwise, down throw at extremely low percentages seems to work well enough on most characters.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and I still advocate the Up-B out of shield option for like 20% free damage.

Last edited:

FE_SLaDe

Smash Apprentice
Updated the original post as some of the information is now outdated and some of it is now not relevant to the discussion.

TLDR for those of you not wanting to read, Chrom's recovery is a massively overblown issue, so much so that people will find out the hard way if they think they can just counter at the ledge for free, but don't be trapped into thinking one or the other is better. They each have their strengths and weakness that should be looked at and thought through on a matchup by matchup basis and in my opinion, will be best represented in tournament as dual mains.

Also y'all should join the Roy/Chrom Smashcord if you haven't already, amazing place to get info.

Arthur97

Smash Master
I personally kind of like how Chrom may be the only fighter I actually don't mind overshooting the ledge with. Most of the time I just feel helpless when I do, but he lands with an attack and I sometimes even hurt my opponent. Yes, this may apply to Ike too, but I hardly ever use him.

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
Chrom is actually insane in that his raw damage is comparable to Smash 4 Roy's sweetspots and his moves have amazing hitboxes and non-existent landing lag. My only gripe with the character is that he lacks Roy's Up-B, making it harder for him to stuff approaches and kill. Not saying he has issues killing opponents, but its harder for him to do so when compared to Roy.

Veenon

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW 2421-1779-6504
I think regardless of his recovery, Chrom still has a strong chance of placing high in tier lists, maybe even the same tier as Roy. He has great airspeed, something a lot of poor recovery characters lack. He's a very dominant character on land, especially thanks to Roy's buffs in Ultimate. From what I've seen, his Aether is a guranteeed spike, and it's rather easy to now ledge spike someone in this game.

Combos could also work better for Chrom than they did for Roy, but that would take a lot of testing to figure out.

Top Bottom