• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DI and smash DI help

Dubforce

Smash Sidius
I do not fully understand either and was looking for your personal input on the matters.

My friend says that SDI is done while in hitstun. The purpose is to "move your character to the ground or ledge/wall and tech." However I have tried smashing the direction before, during and after the hit and I still get the same results: nothing noticable happens. I am doing something wrong and I need proper instruction.

metroid1117

Smash Master
Some things may be different, but for the most part, you can consult Doraki's DI Guide for all of your questions.

Your friend is partially correct; smash DI (SDI) is done during hitlag, not hitstun. Hitlag is the time that the game freezes when you hit someone (think Ike's FSmash), hitstun is the time after getting sent by an attack where you cannot do anything (and thus can be combo'd). There are generally few frames of hitlag in PM/Melee; to see SDI in action, try going into Training Mode and hitting yourself with Falcon Punch at 1/4th speed while SDI'ing.

Dubforce

Smash Sidius
Alright thanks metroid this info helps a lot. Its a very detailed guide.

Although...it's either me or his diction but I do not fully understand what he is saying. I am going to read over it a few times to try and let everything sink in. Thanks again.

Top Bottom