• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DK for beginners

U go study

Smash Rookie
Is DK viable for beginners to use?

I've been getting smoked every ranked game I've gone into.

Collective of Bears

King of Hug Style
NNID
Gark430
3DS FC
1805-3069-0371
He's not very heavy on tech, and is a relatively easy character to understand, so in that sense I'd say yes. But if you're getting consistently beaten, the problem probably lies in your fundamentals rather than your character choice.

Brickbox

Smash Master
3DS FC
0344-9566-1729
The problem with dk in the hands of beginners is that they will run into projectile characters and instantly have problems because they don't have the proper fundamentals.

I think he is good character for beginners to learn as long as they are willing to put in the effort, you either give up and pick a different character or learn the fundamentals of playing against projectile characters.

Mk28

Smash Rookie
I've been having some problems with using DK as well, even though I have some good fundamentals that I can use well I still have a hard time using DK. I can beat any of my friends when I use my mains such as Lucina and Game and Watch, but when it comes to using DK I have a hard time and I'm really considering putting DK on my belt of mains that I can use.

I particularly have a hard time with the landing lag that alot of moves use such as the F-Air landing lag for example and other moves similar to it. I simply don't have a feel for the Kong yet.

TastyCarcass

Smash Apprentice
I would say don't use fair ever. I think it's a terrible move that can be easily reacted to. It deliberately has a ridiculously long landing lag and if you need to use a spike, use dair or side b.

gamma1

Smash Journeyman
NNID
lokighsh
Yeah DK is pretty easy to get in to. Someone asked me the other day what are some AT's for DK and then I realized I couldn't name any really. He's pretty straightforward. As said in the other posts, the fundamentals are what will make DK hard for you. Being a solid player in general will make DK much more powerful than someone with a loose foundation.

Top Bottom