• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

does anyone know this?

Pure Royalty

Smash Cadet
how many times per second do you need to hit b to get max height on marios down b? people just say mash it but if anyone has the exact numbers that would be greatly appreciated

KoopaTroopa895

Smash Apprentice
I wouldn't know exact numbers, but according to the frame data guide if you press b once every 8 frames than you break even in height. The attack is 39 frames long, so to break even you need to push it like 6 times in 2/3rds of a second. That's the best technical answer I can think of. If you really wanna know the exact presses, you could probably try doing 1/4 speed in training mode and going from there.

There are good ways of seeing if you have a good Down B though. The classic two practices for these is...
1) hitting the top platform of fountain of dreams with down B. Exactly as it sounds, if you start a tornado on the ground and mash fast enough you'll stand on the top platform.
2) Mash Down B fast enough on the ground to perform a double jump before you hit the floor. Once again self explanatory, although I usually do it on FD so that way I don't end up on top of a platform.

3) this is something me and a rookie do, but recovering from the bottom of fountain of dreams. You up b wall jump at the bottom, cape, down B mash and then up B. It is a good way to practice most of your recovery options at once. Also helps with up B'ing right when the down b lag ends. For what this looks like here is a video link. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtLC_cYFKTs at 2:32 (im bad with time stamps so my bad).

In the end these aren't the exact number of presses, but hopefully something in this mess may help you(I realized after writing all this I haven't fully answered your question XD)

Pure Royalty

Smash Cadet
yeah ive been working on luigi and on the one guide it has the numbers of b hits per second. i mostly wanted to know which down b was harder to get max height. im able to get max height with mario but almost never with luigi, i wasnt sure if it was just me or if you have to be quicker with luigi

KoopaTroopa895

Smash Apprentice
yeah ive been working on luigi and on the one guide it has the numbers of b hits per second. i mostly wanted to know which down b was harder to get max height. im able to get max height with mario but almost never with luigi, i wasnt sure if it was just me or if you have to be quicker with luigi
Luigi's is the fastest tornado you have to mash, also max height is crazy impressive.

a rookie

Smash Ace
Yeah, Luigi's is tough man. I got the Mario max height most of the time if I'm warmed up :D But remember to always hold down and towards the stage so you move a little horizontally closer to the stage to make the down b even worth it. Lol.

Top Bottom