• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dorothy Gale + General Wizard of Oz Support/Discussion Thread

Greenhorne Ethan

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-4106-6771-3326
Who is Dorothy? What is Oz?

Dorothy Gale is a major character in the mythos surrounding the Land of Oz, first appearing as the protagonist in the novel that started it all, 1900's The Wonderful Wizard of Oz. Her most iconic depiction, however, and most relevant to the discussion of this game, as she was portrayed by Judy Garland in MGM's 1939 film, The Wizard of Oz. As is the case in the novel, this adaptation chronicles Dorothy being whisked away from Kansas, into Oz, and her quest to return home. New friends are made and many tropes were established, particularly with the "it was all just a dream" twist added at the end of the film.​

Stories surrounding Oz and Dorothy have outrun L. Frank Baum's book series and outlived him entirely, with over a century's worth of material having been spawned from his creations in many mediums and genres.

Official spinoffs of the MGM film include an action game for the SNES, an animated sequel series produced by DiC (which apparently retcons Oz only being a dream world, and ends on a cliffhanger), two animated films crossing over with Tom & Jerry, and the animated preschool series Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz.

Pros & Cons (for playable Dorothy + Oz representation in general)

PROS:

• The Land of Oz and its characters have remained recognizable for over a century, even through smaller references, satire, and to younger adults like me, who weren't particularly into lengthy reading or "vintage" things as a kid. Dorothy is one of the most iconic protagonists not just in film, but fiction in general.

• Her relatively passive role as a protagonist in the novel and iconic film would lead to an unorthodox fighting style, a great fit for a Support character. Other versions of Dorothy, such as that of Nintendo DS RPG RIZ-ZOAWD (localized in association with WB Games as The Wizard of Oz: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road), show basic combat ability in both offense and support-based magic. The allies and friends Dorothy meets in Oz could be part of her moveset, helping her like they did throughout the film, but I think outside help in this setting should mostly be from Toto. (Think how Missile is used in Phoenix Wright's moveset in UMvC3.) In the SNES game, Glinda bestows a wand upon Dorothy, who also kicks with the slippers.

I imagine Dorothy in MultiVersus would mostly kick with sparkling, ruby trails when she really must defend herself, while her arms are more concerned with holding Toto in her basket. If they want to include wand as a deep cut reference for the game's scenario pulling Dorothy from after the movie, I think that would work too.

• Multiple versions of Dorothy could be different skins: For example, an alternate (or possibly default?) skin could be the Dorothy from Kenya Barris' upcoming remake of the MGM film.

• With the direction MultiVersus seems to be taking in regards to its scenario story (the hints that the Nothing is what's brought everyone to do battle, the conception/addition of Reindog), the Oz series would make a good fit as an early example of the portal fantasy genre. I wouldn't rule out a new Oz continuity being developed for use with the game.

CONS:

Judy Garland was very vocal about the atrocities in spaces surrounding showbiz and the performing arts, especially Hollywood.

Her estate, although it promotes MGM-related merchandise and exhibits, currently seems to be highly protective of how her likeness is used as Dorothy for new projects, and rightfully so. This is likely why the Wicked Witch of the West was the playable character representing Oz in LEGO Dimensions is the Wicked Witch of the West, while Dorothy and her friends have humorous, somewhat minor role. Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz is an example of how Warner has modernized the MGM film's aesthetic without Judy's likeness.

• Firm "There's no place like home!" message of the MGM film, already a subject of debate, may be at odds with the scenario of MultiVersus. However, the two animated series officially based on the film have depicted Dorothy as able to travel back and forth with the ruby slippers (Done in the DiC series while saying "There's no place like Oz.")​

• The Wicked Witch, if she truly is in development for the game, was likely chosen over Dorothy considering all of the above. This is something I must put my bias towards unorthodox fighters aside for. However, I believe many would not feel comfortable with her inclusion knowing the impact her MGM design in particular has had.​

I feel this is a particularly complicated "support" thread to make, but my conclusion is essentially that Dorothy is another good option to represent all things Oz, but particularly Warner's little franchise around it, in playable form, and that there are plenty of other outlets for representation.

Optimistic Voices (Supporters)

Greenhorne Ethan Greenhorne Ethan

Last edited:
Top Bottom