• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Downthrow to Footstool

DrLobster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrLobster
3DS FC
4699-5880-7408
So I was playing some For Glory on the 3DS the other day, and after doing some bread and butter dthrow --> nairs, I wanted to see if I could mix it up with dthrow--> footstool.

Turns out, that's a thing.

I was playing against a ZSS, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but if King Dedede has dthrow --> footstool on most characters, that could create a HUGE buff for the character and give him an enormous potential for tech chases.

Last edited:

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
If it works, it's probably not on the whole cast, and only at extremely low %, due to the high base knockback of DThrow.

Prawn

Smash Master
Whoa this is a cool idea

Edit: I like your seafood name and playing of d3

Last edited:

DrLobster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrLobster
3DS FC
4699-5880-7408
If it works, it's probably not on the whole cast, and only at extremely low %, due to the high base knockback of DThrow.
Good point. I'll do some more experimenting and update this thread.

Also, it should be noted that I'm working solely with the 3DS version of the game; I don't have the Wii U version yet. But I imagine something like this would transfer over to the Wii U version pretty handidly.

Edit: I like your seafood name and playing of d3
chyeah boi. D3's pretty groovy in this game, and I use him in teams/as a secondary for certain matchups that I'm not comfortable with as Diddy Kong (who is my main).

DrLobster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrLobster
3DS FC
4699-5880-7408
UPDATE: So, after some investigation, I've found out that King Dedede's dthrow --> footstool works on every single character in the game*!

*I mean, assuming they don't DI.

I haven't checked it for DI yet, but this works on every character at 0% regardless of weight.

THIS COULD ACTUALLY BE A VIABLE THING

Jabejazz

Smash Ace
NNID
jabejazz
3DS FC
2079-8507-3496
I tried on Diddy alone, it works until 20%ish.
Not sure if there's any potential followup to it though.
But it's pretty cool regardless, great find!

DrLobster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrLobster
3DS FC
4699-5880-7408
Thanks, man! Yeah, it could lead into a potential tech-chase, but I'm not sure if the tech-chase would be more profitable in terms of percentage than just dthrow --> nair/fair --> frame-traps/follow-ups.

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
Done a bit of testing with ~1/2 of the cast, and it's not easy, but I'm curious. Have you done anything interesting with it? I'm having trouble finding tech chase options that are better than Uair followups.

Thanks, man! Yeah, it could lead into a potential tech-chase, but I'm not sure if the tech-chase would be more profitable in terms of percentage than just dthrow --> nair/fair --> frame-traps/follow-ups.
That's the thing, from what I can see so far, the standard follow-up gives more options and is easier to execute. I guess that more research needs to be done about this, but from what I can see, the standard grab follow-up is indeed more profitable.

Prawn

Smash Master
Do it off the edge and try and follow up with a stage spike bair mayhaps?

DrLobster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrLobster
3DS FC
4699-5880-7408
Done a bit of testing with ~1/2 of the cast, and it's not easy, but I'm curious. Have you done anything interesting with it? I'm having trouble finding tech chase options that are better than Uair followups.
That's the thing, from what I can see so far, the standard follow-up gives more options and is easier to execute. I guess that more research needs to be done about this, but from what I can see, the standard grab follow-up is indeed more profitable.
So the main thing I'm seeing this being useful for - and have actually used it for - is getting a guaranteed follow up. When you do dthrow to aerial, unless it's a low percent nair, you're not really going to get a follow-up out of it that would lead into anything besides the initial combo. Even then, most characters can get off an attack or a jump before you can do anything for dthrow --> aerial to lead into anything extraordinary.

But for dthrow to footstool gives you a more guaranteed follow up. I don't think someone can tech the ground after being footstooled, but if they can, they won't be expecting it.

After getting the footstool, fastfall down to the ground, where you are in tech chase position.

This has been the method that's been working for me so far in online matches, but take this all with a grain of salt; there's still some stuff that needs to be tested (exact percentages where this stops working, who can and can't DI out of it and in what directions, etc.).

Last edited:

DrLobster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrLobster
3DS FC
4699-5880-7408
Not sure if I could get video stuff to help add credibility to all this, but I'll try.

Last edited:

Chaleb

Smash Cadet
Well there's already a similar method to attempt to catch the opponent off guard (Dedede's "chain grab" even though that's not accurate) at low percents by using DThrow to UAir and dragging them back down. I'm not seeing anything so far that would make this batter than standard DThrow to NAir or DThrow to UAir chases, but then again I haven't tried it out extensively (I assume the main thing you'd be able to follow-up with here is NAir, but let's see)

DrLobster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrLobster
3DS FC
4699-5880-7408
Yeah, it's gonna need some further investigation. No confirmed better option yet.

MK.TWO

Smash Rookie
With Bowser you can lock with the sweetspott and the other with the sourspot of down air

MK.TWO

Smash Rookie
I think this is true because :
Dthrow is a throw combo so he have a lot of hitstun to do Nair , Fair , Bair and why not a Footstool?
You can't tech the footstool so free lock , free lock = % Party YEAAHHH
but the opponent can DI when you Dthrow so you have to read his DI ,
He can DI after the footstool so you have to read the DI to lock with the sourspot Dair ( it depend of aerial agility of your opponent )

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
How do you force the getup? I always have him stay on the ground?

BTW, I did discover that you can Dtilt if you leave them on the ground. Safe 31%. Not sure if that's a valid alternative, but, there you go.

MK.TWO

Smash Rookie
You have to hit with the Sourspot of Dair , Also yes Dtilt is a good option too
EDIT: it doesn't word anymore until 20% but you can do Nair to footstool Dair sexy swag combo ;)

Last edited:

SalsaSavant

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SalsaSavior
Playing around and mostly failing, but I did find some silly things to do if you FAIL the sourspot. Note this is all tested against Bowser with no DI and a random Link online. Not fully tested yet.

Dair>Dtilt>Dash is actually viable, it seems. I've only tested it against one random online opponent, but it seems the confusion might make it a good (and silly) mixup. It's techable, and I haven't tested what happens when you tech it, but there you go. The timeframe to tech is small anyway. Does 47% If you're near the edge, you can easily follow up with Fair>Fair>Etc

If you launch them off the edge, or they're just slow, Dair>Dtilt>Fsmash miiiiiight be useable as well, but that's questionable against higher level opponents. Still, mixup option. Does 55%. Once again, techable, but small frame.

I don't see much use for it, but Dair>Dtilt>Ftilt does about 30% and only works on heavy opponents, and doesn't work with good DI. Might be able to punish tech rolls?

Last edited:

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
I'd imagine any amount of DI to the side or up would be enough to make it so Dedede can't footstool in time, right?
Also if a character has an aerial that's fast enough like Pac-Man's nair or Diddy's Haa up-air then I don't think it would work.
Even at low percents which is when it would theoretically be a thing.

Also welcome to the forum @ MK.TWO MK.TWO . Always nice to see new faces.

MK.TWO

Smash Rookie
this work with all the character depending of the % and the fall speed ,it is easier with floaty character and character with big hitboxe. hard for fastfaller and medium like mario( much easier than fastfaller)

KingJames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KingJames95
3DS FC
4270-1781-8413
Down throw to reverse bair best option at low percents instead of nair, why it does more percent and puts you in a better position to follow up.

DrLobster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrLobster
3DS FC
4699-5880-7408
Huh, never thought about RAR b-air being an option. That actually seems pretty legit. Are you sure b-air comes out fast enough for this to work?

Last edited:

KingJames

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KingJames95
3DS FC
4270-1781-8413
Its a true combo. What I do is around mid percent I go for fair and later percents go with u air, character like luigi RAR bair won't connect above 30, but fast faller like fox it will connect up to 55 ish. I learn to do Rar bair from vex back in the 3ds days.

Top Bottom