• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

duck hunt as a secondary

FALCON (///_V)

Smash Rookie
So im a falcon Main and im considering learninf duck hunt as a pick to pick up falcons weaknesses. What are his pros and cons and what match ups does he perform well at that an up close character like falcon cant play such as sheik

Ninetale3

Smash Cadet
Duck hunt's main pro is that he is capable of forcing the opponent to make terrible decisions. Thus allowing for easy punishes and fast damage building. The cost of consistent zoning as he can't hold up walls like other range fighters. He also has good close quarters options unlike most range fighters which helps. His main con is that fast characters on the wrong stages can outright make it difficult to setup properly and will lose to sonic almost every time because of this. Also they have a very predictable recovery and can be easily gimped if sent off stage far enough.

Last edited:

Diamond DHD

Smash Journeyman
I recommend many other characters for being a secondary, especially with Falcon being your main. As far as I know, Falcon's harder MUs are Pikachu, Rosalina and Sheik, all of these are negative MUs for DHD.

Here's what I said to another person considering DHD as a secondary:

Here's the thing, I'm not actually gonna dissuade you from subbing DHD, but just be wary if you do so. Don't get me wrong, he's worth playing and worth putting time in to, put you really need patience and you need to put in a lot of time. You gotta learn the set-ups, you gotta learn your KO tools, you gotta learn your combos, you gotta learn what's safe and what's unsafe, and you gotta learn your MUs, you can't throw yourself into DHD and expect down-throw in to a million aerials.

He's really fun to play as though, you feel like you're trapping your opponent with all the projectiles, and when things go your way, it feels good.
Consider your options, if you want to pick up DHD still, then @ N Ninetale3 has pretty much nailed what I would say. Very strong against slow or large characters, great zoning, great damage building, weakness against fast characters, poor KOing, gimpable recovery.

Top Bottom