• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Easy Tether hogging?

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
So I was just thinking about how terrible Samus vs Oli is, and I realized that his UpB is great over exaggerated. A lot of people say it's fantastic, but it can only grab the ledge, it does not prop Oli up enough to really put him on the stage from below it or anything.

With that in mind I bring you this information that is Mainly for samus boards, I will not re-post this anywhere because I don't feel like doing so, Anyways, on to the show.

So Olimar's recovery is a tether, but when people are on the ledge it turns into an Attack, a strong one at that, and earlier I saw that people were terrified of getting stage spiked by this.

Then I realized, the proper way to edge hog Oli is to let his UpB Beat him. IF the ledge is free his tether will auto grab the ledge and he'll swing down to a 90* degree angle. No hitbox will come out if it is a tether (I think, if not then we really are ****ed)meaning we can use our floatyness to our advantage FINALLLY. hover below the stage, maybe we can use bomb jumps below the stage and wait for oli to use his UpB Giving us our kill move.

Bair would be something extremely viable here feel free to test to your hearts content, but I was thinking about our UpB. It auto grabs the ledge and gives us invincibility frames, HOWEVER it does give Oli his UpB back. Not a problem though thanks to our invincibility. Oli will be far enough out of range once they wear off to hurt us, or re-grab the ledge. This all looks great on paper, but can we do it? I'm going to get my buddy to help my practice this on wednesday I think, if any of you guys can also find human players willing to Upb for an hour then Is aw thank you :)

Works on any Tether recovery Character I believe the distance just varies for how far you have to drop.

Dragonmaster_Omega

Smash Journeyman
Actually, even when Olimar's Up-B acts as a tether and grabs the ledge, it still counts as an attack and hits you it you are standing at the ledge, and how hard it hits depends on the pikmin you are hit with, which will always be at the tip.

I think that Samus's instant tether grab comes into play here. It is THE or at least very close for fastest ledge grab in the game at the cost of a few invincibility frames.

Also don't be surprised, Olimar can retract to the ledge from his tether relatively quickly.
Also, when olimar has no pikmin with him and he uses his Up-B, he is pushed a considerable distance upward compared to a failed tether when he has pikmin, so someone with 1 or 2 pikmin can simply throw then then Up-B to increase their chances of recovery.

I don't think there is much to worry about. If you are hit with the chain and stage spiked, unless you are at considerable percents/ you are hit with a strong pikmin on the chain, you should be able to recover back to the ledge. Otherwise, it kills olimar anyway and that can be beneficial depending on the current layout like if you have higher stocks.

Edgehogging Olimar isn't that hard for Samus imho. Zair, as well as missles can easily make him waste his second jump.
I personally think people over-exaggerate Olimar in general.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
So I was just thinking about how terrible Samus vs Oli is
Stopped reading the-
and I realized that his UpB is great over exaggerated. A lot of people say it's fantastic, but it can only grab the ledge, it does not prop Oli up enough to really put him on the stage from below it or anything.
Ello ello, what's all this then?
With that in mind I bring you this information that is Mainly for samus boards, I will not re-post this anywhere because I don't feel like doing so, Anyways, on to the show.

So Olimar's recovery is a tether, but when people are on the ledge it turns into an Attack, a strong one at that, and earlier I saw that people were terrified of getting stage spiked by this.

Then I realized, the proper way to edge hog Oli is to let his UpB Beat him. IF the ledge is free his tether will auto grab the ledge and he'll swing down to a 90* degree angle. No hitbox will come out if it is a tether (I think, if not then we really are ****ed)meaning we can use our floatyness to our advantage FINALLLY. hover below the stage, maybe we can use bomb jumps below the stage and wait for oli to use his UpB Giving us our kill move.

Bair would be something extremely viable here feel free to test to your hearts content, but I was thinking about our UpB. It auto grabs the ledge and gives us invincibility frames, HOWEVER it does give Oli his UpB back. Not a problem though thanks to our invincibility. Oli will be far enough out of range once they wear off to hurt us, or re-grab the ledge. This all looks great on paper, but can we do it? I'm going to get my buddy to help my practice this on wednesday I think, if any of you guys can also find human players willing to Upb for an hour then Is aw thank you :)

Works on any Tether recovery Character I believe the distance just varies for how far you have to drop.
Took you guys long enough. :bee:

For starters, this works with essentially ANY attack, not just B-air. Done it with N-air, F-air, U-air, Z-air(once to hit him, twice for the ledge), bombs, missiles, charge shots(if it stage spikes him...yeah no further comment), and of course, Screw Attack and D-air. Learning to abuse your ledge game won't win you the match-up, but you, as a Samus player, are really selling yourself short to not use her to her full potential. Olimar has 2 options if he's already used his double jump: Down B(if you try to hit him further, with Z-air for example) and Side B if they have a purple one. As Omega said, her tether grab, and her natural floatiness to linger near the ledge so long as he is approaching it. You have 3 ways of regrabbing it; a weak/semi-predictable stage spike attempt shouldn't make you forget that. Obviously this won't effect the outcome of the match up that significantly, but it helps show that it isn't nearly as terrible as people think. IF(and only IF) you get him offstage, take the offensive.

Cherry64

Smash Master
NNID
Willzasarus
Switch FC
SW-2905-1228-1895
You can stage spike with smash missiles hey. It's rare and won't help you further down because you won't be able to get back if you do it low enough

Top Bottom