• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Egg Lay Set-Ups

ImBlob

Smash Rookie
Hey guys! Blob here. This will be my first post on smashboards.

I'd like to start off by saying learn the timing of egg lay. It has become instinctual to me at this point after doing it for months. There are a few things to take into account: % of your opponent (obviously), and how fast they're mashing. I don't know why more people don't do this- but I just use my peripherals to see/hear how quickly my opponent is mashing. The timing for this has become second nature to me, just as it will become second nature to you.

Now as for the kill setups, there are quite a few, some more reliable than others. I've found that the most consistent ways to actually kill out of egg lay are to lob a vertically falling egg right above my opponent (using the method mentioned above), forcing them to either airdodge or get hit by the egg, you then swoop from underneath with an up air. As previously mentioned in this thread, dash attacking through the egg to put yourself behind them (as well as a little additional damage w/o staling important kill options) into a bair is incredibly reliable. If you're feeling lucky this works with fair as well, however I find it difficult to follow up with an up air afterwards in order to seal the KO. There's a few obvious ones, such as timing the release with a yoshi bomb or an up smash, but as much as I used to like those setups, they rarely work more than once on the same person.

Something that I've been experimenting with is actually using our jab 1 > crouch cycle to scare the person into mashing out quickly, putting up shield just before they break out, and then reacting with an up air out of shield.

If you're trying to put someone in a combo video, my favorite thing to go for is a vertically falling egg toss for when they pop out > fair > up air. I'm sure a lot of you have seen this done.

Anyways, like I said this was my first post and I'm not too accustomed to how you guys post around here. Let me know any tips in regards to making my posts more concise and easy to read.

Last edited:

The Wall

You PC Bro?!
NNID
Zefwano
3DS FC
4356-0548-2157
Why should we be accepting mediocrity though? We should be working to avoid inefficient, habitual options, not just throw our hands up and go "Welp, we'll just Usmash anyways cuz that's habit, might as well not try and change!"

People have rolling habits. When they're scared, what do they do in the heat of the moment? Roll. Is that a good habit to have? No. So we work to change those habits to improve as players. What makes Usmashing the egg any different? Because it doesn't have as immediate a negative impact as getting hit by a charged smash because you rolled? But what happens when you Usmash your opponent after this greedy, habitual Usmash on the egg, and they barely survive because you staled the move? That's punishing. We don't have easy kill setups, and you just lost a kill because of a bad move earlier.

Is this really the most important thing to improve on? No. Is it really that difficult to stop Usmashing the egg? No. I don't know why you'd fight such a simple change that strictly benefits your killing ability. If you really want to just smash the egg, use Dsmash. It deals only 2 damage less, and it's only 3 frames slower. If you get both hits in it's even stronger than Usmash.

I never discounted the fact of min/maxing your options on an egg layed opponent. I simply added in there that a lot of Yoshi players develop the habit of up smashing the egg. The best options for damage and frame advantage have been thrown into this thread so I think we shouldn't make a mountain out of a molehill in regards to this.

"We don't have easy kill setups" Yoshi sure does have some easy ones. That's a topic for discussion in a different thread though if we were to go there.

buu

Smash Rookie
NNID
C.nolando
Tip against wario, if he has far fully charget up. Don't go for follow up or going to get punished. With invulnerability frames after egg lay

Top Bottom