• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EGX ladder, How many members?

How many members in our Ladder?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
With mods back in place on SWF, I decided I should get the Ladder back on the go. But that being said I also think our community needs a bit more say in what actually goes on!

So here is the first community controlled feature of our Smash64 section...

How many people do you want in our EGX ladder?!

This question may seem simple but remember that those numbers will decide a few things:

Low amount of members may lead to more active members within the ladder, but may lead to less actual movement within the ladder due to fairly consistent players.

High amounts of players may give you more movement within the ladder, but may cause "drop-outs" which can lead to people unable to move at all! (Say you have two people right next to each other drop out and not say anything...now you have at least a week where people below them, cannot move!)

The choice is up to you...think about it and vote!

JaimeHR

Smash Ace
it should be 5 to 10.

"less actual movement within the ladder due to fairly consistent players" should only mean the actual ranking might be more accuarate, at least that's what I think.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I'd say more people is better for a ladder. If you're not in the top 10, you're never going to be on the ladder, so you don't get to join in the fun. If people 'drop-out', just wait a week, and if they don't do anything, take them off, and add someone to the bottom. That's my opinioin.

More people = more activity = ladder lasts longer, and more people = more people can take part and have fun.

NixxxoN

Smash Master
I dont think ladders are so good anyway... Why not to do some kind of league like we europeans do?

Ladders are just random challenges but they dont truely reflect the ranking of everyone

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
I dont think ladders are so good anyway... Why not to do some kind of league like we europeans do?

Ladders are just random challenges but they dont truely reflect the ranking of everyone
Dont come here and preach please... especially when you have no idea what your talking about (again)

D

Deleted member

It's better to have 2 ladders 5-x people each

1 for "semi-pro" and the other for "amateur"

in my opinion

once people get to a certain point people can climb or fall

but its up to you and how much work you want to invest

otherwise i'd go for biggest ladder possible

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
It's better to have 2 ladders 5-x people each

1 for "semi-pro" and the other for "amateur"

in my opinion

once people get to a certain point people can climb or fall

but its up to you and how much work you want to invest

otherwise i'd go for biggest ladder possible
This is definitely something to think about!

How do you initially spot people though xD

And I think the names might have to under go some altering to not refer to an arbitrary(probably the wrong word but yeah...) status >_<

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
I like that idea sMoke.

but yeah like Surri said, where people initially would be placed would be a tough.

If you guys have a general idea though of who is semi-pro and not you could just make the ladders based on that and anyone who was misplaced would most likely be able to work their way up?

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
Once again it looks like too much argumentation and different opinions from everyone.

Whoever's going to be keeping updates going on the ladder should just pick something and stick with it regardless of what everyone says, otherwise this will take forever. If people want to complain you can tell them to maintain the ladder themselves.

MarioReincarnate

Smash Journeyman
The AIB ladder with a human moderator would be best... that way it's automated and if there are disputes (like people not accepting challenges, the downfall for that ladder) the moderator could settle it... would always be updated too.

This is something that I'm sure multiple people here (including me) could easily create and put on a website somewhere with free hosting (or like Galaxy64 or something) and give Surri/others mod rights.

Doing it this way is fine but can easily be uneventful for weeks (or months as we saw). Whatever though. And I'm moving and looking for a job so I don't have time to make an automated ladder now, sorry.

The rules could be just like this though, no points like in AIB, and you could do multiple ladders for pro, semi, amateur, NA, Europe, etc.

Something to think about.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Once again it looks like too much argumentation and different opinions from everyone.

Whoever's going to be keeping updates going on the ladder should just pick something and stick with it regardless of what everyone says, otherwise this will take forever. If people want to complain you can tell them to maintain the ladder themselves.
Lol no one is complaining ...i dont think.

I am simply trying to encourage ideas from the public in order to make this a better place for more people.

After some though it does seem kinda silly to simply put two groups into this, so what ever this poll says by the end of today is what the cap will be for our singular ladder!

The AIB ladder with a human moderator would be best... that way it's automated and if there are disputes (like people not accepting challenges, the downfall for that ladder) the moderator could settle it... would always be updated too.

This is something that I'm sure multiple people here (including me) could easily create and put on a website somewhere with free hosting (or like Galaxy64 or something) and give Surri/others mod rights.

Doing it this way is fine but can easily be uneventful for weeks (or months as we saw). Whatever though. And I'm moving and looking for a job so I don't have time to make an automated ladder now, sorry.

The rules could be just like this though, no points like in AIB, and you could do multiple ladders for pro, semi, amateur, NA, Europe, etc.

Something to think about.

Lol I can see what can be done but I'm not really sure at the moment xD

Shoot that idea around Galaxy 64 and see what gets said

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
How about this for a ladder:

20 people. First 10 can be considered 'semi pro', while last 10 can be considered 'amateur'.

People entering the ladder can either enter by challenging the bottom two (19th or 20th) to enter the amateur ladder, or they can challenge 10th spot to enter the pro ladder. In this case, if he wins the 10th spot, 10th would move to 11th, and 20th would be removed from the ladder. 11/12 can always challenge 10/9 for positions (provided it's one or two spots away).

So basically, it's the exact ladder system we had last time, but people can also enter the ladder by challenging the 10th spot (or middle spot, depending on how many people we have in the ladder).

just a suggestion.

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
How about this for a ladder:

20 people. First 10 can be considered 'semi pro', while last 10 can be considered 'amateur'.

People entering the ladder can either enter by challenging the bottom two (19th or 20th) to enter the amateur ladder, or they can challenge 10th spot to enter the pro ladder. In this case, if he wins the 10th spot, 10th would move to 11th, and 20th would be removed from the ladder. 11/12 can always challenge 10/9 for positions (provided it's one or two spots away).

So basically, it's the exact ladder system we had last time, but people can also enter the ladder by challenging the 10th spot (or middle spot, depending on how many people we have in the ladder).

just a suggestion.
This just gives us less activity within the ladder :(

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
how about you have a high amount of people...but you can challenge people more spots above you

like 20 spots and people can challenge up to 5 spots above them

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
Anyone can vote, if you are in this section anyways...if you found a way to view this poll from the brawl section then no!

I'm waiting on a tie breaker so xD

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
lol kay. I vote for the middle path. I really like Blue Yoshi's idea though, but since that may not work out a 15 player max seems the most logical to me. A few extra players can be in plus it can still be ran pretty efficiently.

D

Deleted member

If people are inactive for more than a week boot them

even a week sounds like too long for me

Surri-Sama

Smash Hero
If people are inactive for more than a week boot them

even a week sounds like too long for me
a Week is longer then i feel should be good too but...other wise we will have many issues with "omg just because i have a life doesn't mean ...blah blah blah" so its best avoided...some of those people are "valued" members of our community so a week is fine!

And our Ladder will have 14 members!

Thanks to all who voted :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom