• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Empty spaces in Pl**.dat...

omegagmaster

Smash Cadet
Hello, I am new to hacking. Lately I've been looking at different Pl**.dat files and making large changes to them. Most of them have been successful! However, some attacks do not have sufficient byte space for me to modify them completely (like G&W's Judgment 2 hammer ground, which only has 56 bytes of space.) This is fine, because @Itaru mentioned in his syntax thread that it is possible to change the number of bytes each attack of a character can have.

I explain with Ganon's Up-Tilt.

First, Command starting point is 0x4870. So, compute 4870 - 20 = 4850 (Hexadecimal)

Second, search 00004850 in your hexeditor, and overwrite with 0000XXXX. XXXX + 20 (Hexadecimal) is new starting point.

In PlGn.dat, 6F70-71E0 is free space.
This is really nice except I can't exactly find empty space in characters. It's a bit difficult for me as most of the time I stumble upon empty space except they are filled with random "00000001"s and I'm afraid to put code there as it may corrupt the character's moves. So I was wondering if you could post ranges where characters in their Pl**.dat file have empty space.

Thanks!

**EDIT**

Just found Itaru's note on empty spaces and how every character has one, but modifying it has strange effects.

http://smashboards.com/posts/20579983/

So after attempting to modify G&W's Judgment 2, I moved the code into a space similar to the one Itaru mentioned and weird things happened to his anims. So I guess what I'm asking for now is how to determine if the empty space you find is usable because I've found some space but I'm unsure if it can be used.

Also, while looking through PlGw.dat for usable space I found a bunch of empty bytes except for a random hitbox at 0x64A4. What is this?

Thanks again everyone.

Last edited:
Top Bottom