• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

EXTENNNDUURRRRRR (samus gen. disc.)

What are your favorite moves?

• Total voters

HugS™

Smash Lord
I only use a dsmash when there isn't enough time to start a utilt.

6 frames of start up time makes the Dsmash the quickest option for hitting low and powerful when edgeguarding, but if you have time, the utilt is always preferred.

I use it against marth because they are really good at varying their up B timing, making it more essential to react rather than predict, so that the quicker edgeguarding option becomes more viable.

Pi

Smash Hero
I hate getting hit trying to Utilt as well >.>
How does down angled forward tilt size up against utilt/dsmash?
I use that quite often on my marth friend
iirc though it tends to only hit him when he misses a sweetspot

lol@hugs
did none of the IC's see it?
doesn't seem that way...
i support the cause, btw.

Originally by accident, but I've had it work since then...
WD behind marth, back to back, upsmash
shield pokes his head w/ the last hit
Not for every day use, considering it's slow...
But if they're not use to it, chances are they're gonna wait for it to hit their shield before reacting, only to have it burn their head.
I've also had some minute success with upsmash on larger characters, gdorf in particular.

-taco

Smash Apprentice
Question, anyone ever team with a sheik?
What should I look for or pay attention/do?
I was really lost with my partner...could of been lack of familiarity.
Any advice?

rhan

Smash Hero
Question, anyone ever team with a sheik?
What should I look for or pay attention/do?
I was really lost with my partner...could of been lack of familiarity.
Any advice?
Samus' role in that team is to stock hold.

Be ignorant and always let the opponet come to you. Up B OoS often and when ever they hit your shield and just let Sheik do Sheik things.

Also ALWAYS help the Sheik in trouble.

Edit: Oh and what I mean by "ignorant Samus" is that you FTilt a lot and up B OoS. It's just a code I use to my partner so that he knows what strait I'm going for and so that he goes all out. Ignorant Samus is basically consisting of moves that annoy the craaaap outta your opponent.

-FTilt
-Up B OoS
-Bombs
-CC D-Smash
-Fair

Pi

Smash Hero
How do you play against ganon with samus?
very patiently.
he fairs through everything, and every time he's approaching facing you that's probably what he's going to be doing.
if you can predict his shffl's then great, you win the match
predicting his wavelands on platforms is also good.
your edgeguarding is also key in this matchup, play it safe, ganon has a great recovery and he's able to attack on the way back.
extended grapple is very nice in this matchup.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
All aggression, all the time.
Get him to aerial through missiles, then place a move where he's going to land.
He likes to jab your shield, so return that favor. Jab cancel the **** out of him, then predict/punish his oos options.
Why do so many Ganons jump off the ledge, then double jump? Punish the hell out of that, same with anytime he uses his double jump. Get under him with uairs/fairs (never end an aerial "combo" on a low% ganon with a fair. You'll get uair'd on the way down).
This matchup is basically impossible. I like those odds.

Rat

Smash Lord
Ok here are some of my notes on ganon.

#1) Don't let ganon hit you.
-Do not go into Fair range: If he Fairs your shield, bad things happen.
-Do not let him Bair you. This move is stupid fast and stupid strong, luckily it's not to bad to shield it. (Common things: Bair->Ftilt, Bair->OverB, Bair->Bair->Bair->Bair->etc.)
-Know when the purple stuff is coming. This is fairly obvious (the overB i'm not so good at) and you can punish this so hard.
-With WDback can run away from ganon for a very long time.

#2) Ganon is a tricky *****.
-His range changes as he approaches the ground. Stupid wavelanding
-His options change around a platform. Know them.
-Ganon has a lot of wierd combinations, so watching when he lands and when he doesn't is very important. Examples: FJ Dair->DJ Dair, FJ Fair->DJ shenanigans

#1 + #2: You must recover.
You need to know exactly what ganon can and cannot do to you as your recover. His ranges and possibilities. Because ganon's do some crazy **** to edgeguard samus and if you do not know how to get around it you are ****ed.

#3) Ganon jumps...a lot
-This is especially true of the double jump. Abuse this.
Example: Upthrow ganon at low percentages. FJ at him, most ganons (the dumb/scared ones) will DJ. Then you DJ and punish. (GJ you stole his DJ!) (Btw I don't endorse this tactic as Dthrow is superior)
-My favorite way to hit ganondorf is as he jumps. Do Fairs and Uairs low%s and Nairs at higher%s

#4) Never ever, under any circumstances, even if your best friend says it's ok, or if everyone else is doing, or if you think it's a good idea because seriously it's not, which you need to trust me on this because this is super duper important, as in if you do Do this you will seriously get hurt really hard, and like not in a good way hurt like 70% damage hurt, which considering ganon's strength is like 3 moves but you need to persevere through that ****
Never be above ganon
-This being said, don't use your double jump against ganon (well very sparingly). You will get hit again, but it's better than being hit again and losing your DJ.

#5) Know things and use them to create tools for yourself.
Here's some my things to know:
-At low percentages ganon's best moves against Samus are
1: Dair
2: Grab
-At mid percentages ganon's best moves against Samus are
1: Grab
2: Uair
3: Fair
-At high percentages he just has to hit you and you will probably die.
1: Bair
2: Grab
3: Fair
-Note that this is not ganon's safest moves against samus just his most damaging.
(I'm not going to list ganon's common approaches because if you don't know the max spacing of those moves and how to see it coming you are failing at #1.)
-Using my list of scary moves I can create a mental Zoning tool. Generaly example: Do not be in position X at time Z because of move Y. In position A make sure you do move B to stop ganon's move C. etc.

Ummm.... if you want to know good moves against ganon that's a bit different and it's probably better if you figure that **** out. But here is a couple moves I like:
1) Jab on shield
2) Fair
3) Missile
4) Ftilt
5) Dsmash

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Rat your advice is awesome. I'ma try this stuff out tonight.

Thanks to IHSB and backwards-Think too :)

Tyserification

Smash Lord
Samus' role in that team is to stock hold.

Be smart and always let the opponet come to you. Up B OoS often and when ever they hit your shield and just let Sheik do Sheik things.

Also ALWAYS help the Sheik in trouble.

Edit: Oh and what I mean by "smart Samus" is that you FTilt a lot and up B OoS. It's just a code I use to my partner so that he knows what strait I'm going for and so that he goes all out. Smart Samus is basically consisting of moves that annoy the craaaap outta your opponent.

-FTilt
-Up B OoS
-No Bombs
-CC D-Smash
-Nair
Fixed.

Very carefully. He's one of Samus' worst matchups for a reason -_-
Dont get Fair'd also. It's a bad idea.

Pi

Smash Hero
Light shielding is 2good.
I never really liked UBing OoS.
And recently I adapted Z canceling.
So now when I can, I'll light shield when my shield is getting pressured.
Throws people the **** off and makes it hard for them to grab you after they hit you.
And that extra spacing can help with wavedashing safely OoS.
Does anyone know if your shield hit stun is greater w/ light shield? I figured it wouldn't change at all because of all the diff sizes of the shield, but I think it might be...
But any ways, I'm re-learning the timing, and it's proving to be very useful.
Especially vs. Peach and her dreaded downsmash of death.

Also, if you don't already, angling your shield is so **** helpful. Not only to avoid shield stabbing, but you also ASDI hits when you shield them (found out maybe a few weeks ago so don't know if it's common knowledge), so you move in that direction slightly. Really helpful to **** peoples spacing up and get that UB when otherwise it wouldn't hit.

Also, I'd like to kinda...make a list of all things that can be shield grabbed...like...dash attacks, smashes, get up attacks...B moves...etc etc.

Also...downthrow -> sh ball works on jiggs if she doesn't DI? Anyone confirm/give more specifics on this?
Not that we're grabbing her a whole lot but...I've landed it a few times on my friends jiggs. I feel like the man when I do.

More also's;
I landed a wavedash off bair off the stage on my marth friend, sex.

Pi

Smash Hero
I more or less juss use this thread as a blog for anything related to my melee samus.

Also, I'm pretty bad at teams.

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
i only like light shield in specific situations and on platforms
iirc you get more shield stun in light shield

shield angling has been around in socal for a long while
i don't know if other places utilize it

well the true topic as I understand the title is general discussion in the samus forums
so maybe we could even spam it up here if we wanted to, but that would be dumb

hitting a lightshield gives more hitstun and further shield knockback.

I like angling my shield to mess up Falco's l-cancel timing.

And I did this really cool thing where I wavedashed backwards off the stage, didn't grab onto the ledge, and grapple sweetspotted it. It's not applicable in any sense, but it looked **** cool.

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
my favorite grapple is the suicide mindgame grapple where you airdodge too close to the stage, but are next to the edge, so when you grapple, you sweetspot immediately

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
If you powershield and let go of the shield button before the shieldstun is over you have no shield drop delay and can do any move immediately.

its like perfect CCing.

Pluplue

Smash Ace
(to knihts earlier post) Getting them on a platform above you is pretty hard though. But if you can I usually do a double bomb to forward air, not enough time to Dair em

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
yeah i meant that powershielding that computers do on moves where the shield doesn't come out

all they do is block

AMAZING

Pi

Smash Hero
(to knihts earlier post) Getting them on a platform above you is pretty hard though. But if you can I usually do a double bomb to forward air, not enough time to Dair em
Lol I was trying to figure out which post you were referring to, then I remembered the first post of the thread

Yea

I have GOT to remember to look for opportunities to lay bombs on their shield when they are on a platform, I usually juss go for a nair/fair/dair, but I really wanna get those bombs >=)

also, plup is dat you? the samus from FL that I played?

Midori

Smash Rookie
any advice on short hopping consistently? Samus is one of the characters I have trouble with short hopping consistently. I short hop with X if that helps.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
1. Turn your stove on high.
2. Wait for it to heat up.
3. Tap it with your thumb.
4. Pull away as soon as possible.
5. If you didn't get burned, congratulations! You can now short hop with Samus. If you did get burned, seek medical attention, then return to step 3.

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
or you can just practice trying to short hop and you'll get it after a while
i think that's what he's trying to tell you though
either that or he's a ****** mother****er
also i would recommend jumping with Y because it's the fastest way to do a lot of things and it's less painful on the hands
at least it is for me ( i used to jump with X)

some people may suggest tapping the very tip of the button, but that's an inefficient way to do it imo

Rat

Smash Lord
any advice on short hopping consistently? Samus is one of the characters I have trouble with short hopping consistently. I short hop with X if that helps.
it just takes time and practice.

Whenever I practice a technical thing I play a little game:
RAT'S TRAINING GAME:
1) Start at 0 points
2) If you attempt and mess-up -1 point
3) If you mess up badly -2 points
4) If you succeed +1 point
5) Get to +10 Points and you win, congratulations!
6) When you win:
REWARD TIME! Get up and do a little dance (I seriously get up and do a little dance. It makes me laugh)) or give yourself some candy. (I like Peanut Butter M&Ms)
7) Get to -10 Points to lose
8) When you lose:
PUNISHMENT TIME. I hate exercise so I do like 10-20 push-ups/pull-ups, maybe some crunches maybe some squats who knows. The point is not to beat yourself up but do something good for you that you hate (like homework).

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
1. Turn your stove on high.
2. Wait for it to heat up.
3. Tap it with your thumb.
4. Pull away as soon as possible.
5. If you didn't get burned, congratulations! You can now short hop with Samus. If you did get burned, seek medical attention, then return to step 3.
this sort of training regimen appeals to me. I might have to go perfect my SH tonight.

edit:: do you suggest gas or electric stove?

TheLifeRuiner

Smash Lord
lol the worst thing i used to do was, when wavedashing with R, I would use the tip of my pointer/trigger finger to press down on it

this, along with jumping with X would result in nasty hand cramps and pains

now i jump with Y and use the under part of my finger (i don't know how else to describe it) and now i feel GREAT and things feel a lot easier

I use Y to normally jump and to shorthop, I just tap the tip of the button.

It may be inefficient, but it works fine even when I'm playing Fox. SHFFL nairs just need some thumbspeed and shine shffls are kinda hard but doable.

Top Bottom