• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Extensive Greninja Moveset Breakdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinji

Smash Master
NNID
Sinjis
3DS FC
0361-6602-9839
Great Article. I take it that canceling dash with shield will be used a lot for Greninja. I have a question about his jab. Does the third hit off of his jab combo have good knock back like Captain Falcon's Gentleman from Melee or is it more appropriate to use the water swipe combo?

NashRiskin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nashriskin
3DS FC
3497-1265-2606
Great Article. I take it that canceling dash with shield will be used a lot for Greninja. I have a question about his jab. Does the third hit off of his jab combo have good knock back like Captain Falcon's Gentleman from Melee or is it more appropriate to use the water swipe combo?
The two jab enders have different uses, the longer multi swipe for damage build and the other for a lil quick combo and mind games.

Spirst

Very nice information. This in particular interested me:

"Take the following example: Greninja runs to the right then uses Up B right before the opponent and holds the control stick backwards. This will send Greninja rocketing backwards and will shoot water (that lightly damages) right at the opponent and gives him space."

Is the Up-B instantaneous? I can't seem to remember from any of the videos I've seen. Greninja as a rapid psychological character really captures my interest. The slipperyness of the character means that he won't be as braindead easy to pick up and use as MK was (which is what I was hoping wouldn't happen).

Last edited:

NashRiskin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nashriskin
3DS FC
3497-1265-2606
Very nice information. This in particular interested me:

"Take the following example: Greninja runs to the right then uses Up B right before the opponent and holds the control stick backwards. This will send Greninja rocketing backwards and will shoot water (that lightly damages) right at the opponent and gives him space."

Is the Up-B instantaneous? I can't seem to remember from any of the videos I've seen. Greninja as a rapid psychological character really captures my interest. The slipperyness of the character means that he won't be as braindead easy to pick up and use as MK was (which is what I was hoping wouldn't happen).
It isn't instantaneous but it is very quick and can be hard for the opponent to figure out what you are doing.

bc1910

Smash Lord
NNID
bc1910
3DS FC
1478-6611-0182
Great article. I have a few questions:

1. How good of a combo throw is down throw? Are the follow-ups reliable or easy to dodge out of?
2. How's the landing lag on Greninja's aerials overall?
3. Do you think Greninja has good combo ability?

NashRiskin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nashriskin
3DS FC
3497-1265-2606
Great article. I have a few questions:

1. How good of a combo throw is down throw? Are the follow-ups reliable or easy to dodge out of?
2. How's the landing lag on Greninja's aerials overall?
3. Do you think Greninja has good combo ability?
1) It is the ONLY one that is viable for combos. The follow up depend on size of character and damage, d throw to dilt worked for me a low percents and chasing with nair seemed to work too.
2) Dair and Fair seemed to be laggier, Nair could be short hopped and fast falled with almost not lag if timed right as could bair.
3) I think GReninja has the tools to be a great combo character but the end lag on certain moves really hurt the potential for him to be a god comboer (like up throw)

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
So Greninja and Samus are on Final Destination. Each on the farthest reaches of the stage. Samus fires a full Charge Shot. It reaches Greninja. Greninja used Substitute to counter it.

Will Greninja reappear alllllll the way to the opposite end of Final Destination to where Samus is? Is it like Sly Cooper's Decoy (counter) from PSASBR?

What determines if Greninja attacks from the front, behind, or above when reappearing after Substitute?

Redcard

Smash Cadet
Thank you! Been looking for info on Greninja from Zipzo the last couple days and couldn't find anything. This is great!

My question is this: Somewhere I read that Greninja's Shadow Sneak is hard to see on the original 3DS. What's your opinion on it?

Last edited:

NashRiskin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nashriskin
3DS FC
3497-1265-2606
Thank you! Been looking for info on Greninja from Zipzo the last couple days and couldn't find anything. This is great!

My question is this: Somewhere I read that Greninja's Shadow Sneak is hard to see on the original 3DS. What's your opinion on it?
It is def harder but the real thing about it is that generally if you mask the movement well enough you tend to actually bait people to attack you when its used and they don't notice the attack. It is a mind games heavy maneuver.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I always thought his up special would be called Aqua Jet cuz it's basically a water version of Quick Attack (Pikachu's up special).
Pretty crazy that he can do it straight, though, unlike Pikachu. Definitely gives him very versatile movement and recovery.

AgentHX

Smash Cadet
NNID
HotShotHunter
Man, my Greninja hype gets bigger every day! Thanks a ton for that breakdown. Greninja sounds just about perfect for me.

NashRiskin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nashriskin
3DS FC
3497-1265-2606
So Greninja and Samus are on Final Destination. Each on the farthest reaches of the stage. Samus fires a full Charge Shot. It reaches Greninja. Greninja used Substitute to counter it.

Will Greninja reappear alllllll the way to the opposite end of Final Destination to where Samus is? Is it like Sly Cooper's Decoy (counter) from PSASBR?

What determines if Greninja attacks from the front, behind, or above when reappearing after Substitute?
This is not how Substitute works, he comes in from a specific range around the general area of contact. Greninja would probably move about 1/3 to a half of the FD distance horizontally or come from above to strike depending on your input.

OptimistNic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OptimistNic
3DS FC
4682-8455-3463
Do you plan to do any more of these? I would particularly like to see you make a breakdown of Shulk, Palutena, and/or Robin. :D

NashRiskin

Smash Apprentice
NNID
nashriskin
3DS FC
3497-1265-2606
Do you plan to do any more of these? I would particularly like to see you make a breakdown of Shulk, Palutena, and/or Robin. :D
Once the full game comes out I intend on doing this for every newcomer and then the vets, so eventually every character, Special move alts included! But it takes time.

OptimistNic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
OptimistNic
3DS FC
4682-8455-3463
Once the full game comes out I intend on doing this for every newcomer and then the vets, so eventually every character, Special move alts included! But it takes time.
You think that you will have to re-analyze some characters if they feel different enough in the final build? It seems there have been quite a few changes between E3 and the final build.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Pink. No joke; at the demos, I only picked Pink Greninja and Gold Pit (my standard for Pit in Brawl). And the funny thing is there is a black Greninja and black is my favorite color. I'm STILL maining Pink Greninja.

Greave

Smash Apprentice
NNID
P-Duck
Pink. No joke; at the demos, I only picked Pink Greninja and Gold Pit (my standard for Pit in Brawl). And the funny thing is there is a black Greninja and black is my favorite color. I'm STILL maining Pink Greninja.
Dude, if ANY character lacks a pink costume, I'm not even gonna consider maining them.

Last edited:

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Cleaning up the subforum, so I'm locking a few threads.

The Greninja Impressions and Matchup Thread opens on October 3rd! (I give you my thanks, @ NashRiskin NashRiskin , for your article, of which I am currently using some of the images and some info for the Moveset Thread!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom