• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

FBEC - Forward B Edge cancelling(Quick Little Ness AT)

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
I don't know if this has been discovered yet, it works with Ness and Bowser. I discovered it about 3 months ago.

if you run off the a platform or edge at the begging of your dash and forward B off of it towards the center of the stage or platform as soon as Ness leaves the ground the forward B will cancel and act like ness just let go the ledge(on a platform ness will face towards it and his momentum will cancel

The only real use I see for it is mind games on platforms because you completely reverse your direction

Oh also, on yoshis, you can do it and then double jump cancel back onto the stage to get a small wave land effect.

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
This may just be me being a visual learner, but do you happen to have a video? I can't seem to picture this.

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
This may just be me being a visual learner, but do you happen to have a video? I can't seem to picture this.
It's kind of like that weird Marth Up-B Glitch where it cancels and acts like he just let go of the edge.

Arcade

Smash Ace
Are you talking about if you PK Fire backwards as soon as you run off a platform, you immediately land back on the platform with no horizontal or vertical momentum, facing the center of the platform? The bolt doesn't come out, but you get the PKF special landing lag, right?

Meccs

@Meccs_
I figured it out, I'll have a video in a minute. you dash and then turn around and drop.
I guess it could be helpful though, becasue as soon as you drop you can attack. so you can lead it into rising fair or nair or something.

alright here it is, sorry for the crappy video quality
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3Ij2K5U1-Y
"
I'd imagine this would be much easier with B-Sticking. the ones I did right, Ness dashes, then drops off the ledge. Also sometimes you can hear "PK Fiah!" but I guess that's just because I cancelled it a little later than the other ones, because even when he says it, it's the same as when he doesn't.
I mess up a lot. Couldn't seem to get it right when I was near Claus. oh well. I'm not sure what this would be useful for, but it seems like it could be put to good use for something."

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
I've actually done this a couple of times..... i was trying to slide off a platform and psi magnet wavebounce and i was like "why am i turning around and falling straight down, doing absolutely nothing?"

good find... are you sure its only with pkfire? could it be some funny mechanic not involving the b button?

Yink

The Robo-PSIentist
NNID
SSBYink
I figured it out, I'll have a video in a minute. you dash and then turn around and drop.
I guess it could be helpful though, becasue as soon as you drop you can attack. so you can lead it into rising fair or nair or something.

alright here it is, sorry for the crappy video quality
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3Ij2K5U1-Y
"
I'd imagine this would be much easier with B-Sticking. the ones I did right, Ness dashes, then drops off the ledge. Also sometimes you can hear "PK Fiah!" but I guess that's just because I cancelled it a little later than the other ones, because even when he says it, it's the same as when he doesn't.
I mess up a lot. Couldn't seem to get it right when I was near Claus. oh well. I'm not sure what this would be useful for, but it seems like it could be put to good use for something."
THANK YOU. I needed to see it.

Eagleye893

Smash Champion
NNID
isJolTz
3DS FC
1821-9332-2146
@kennypu: your post is different from the one explained in this thread..... here it's not using pkfire to slide off the ledge as you run but instead you pivot as you get on the absolute edge, use pkfire and then drop without anything happening. it does have a similar thing to it in that both cause the pkfire to be canceled and you fall.... but the main difference is turning around and dropping straight down here.

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
@kennypu: your post is different from the one explained in this thread..... here it's not using pkfire to slide off the ledge as you run but instead you pivot as you get on the absolute edge, use pkfire and then drop without anything happening. it does have a similar thing to it in that both cause the pkfire to be canceled and you fall.... but the main difference is turning around and dropping straight down here.
aaa i see, I've done this couple of times as well. I don't know of any real uses though unless you go for a rising aerial (bair, etc.)

GimR

NNID
VGBC_GimR
I've known about this for awhile, but it seems pretty useless.
BTW if you do it right you can do the first two hits of f-air onto the stage and instnatnly acncel it (This might make a D-tilt lock infinite possible)

Also on Yoshi's you can double cancel onto the stage giving you a mini waveland.

I might need to make a better video to show the momentum reversing

kennypu

Smash Journeyman
I was about to say the same thing, except I have yet to see the new video that was posted up. I've already seen yours. So if it is what I think it is, then yeah, it's been discovered already by Kennypu.
well I don't really care about the whole discovering thing, but the gist is its the same as the pk fire cancel, xcept you do a reverse pk fire. I don't know if that would be considered a new AT or not, but thats basicly whats being done here.

Uffe

Smash Hero
So it's the same thing but reversed? I suppose that's cool. I really wish I could see it to see if Earthbound360 already posted it in one of his older videos. I remember him doing a bunch of things with PK Fire when Brawl came around the first year.

Thunda-Moo

Smash Apprentice
All I can see it as is a pretty funny mind game for when you say "PK Fire!" but land with no lag or fire. Most people shield upon hearing those iconic words, so you may get the chance to run up and grab someone who thinks you're trying to use your laggy pillar of doom. But it seems like a pretty hard thing to do for just one amusing "what the heck?" per matchup. On the flipside, there is nothing wrong with a new way to "set up" Ness's grab.

Top Bottom