• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Wii U For those with a Wii U..

Smur

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4141-3292-3562
I'm wondering if you can compare the internet lag with the Wii. Brawl was horrible on the Wii, but I have really high hopes for Wii U.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
For one, you can make a hard wired connection for online gaming with the Wii U. That instantly will reduce lag. You can buy the official LAN adapter from Nintendo if you want.

I've been playing Call of Duty and Tekken Tag on Wii U and it runs very smoothly. I hit lag spikes when my wife has the computer going streaming movies and someone is using the ipad at the same time. Still for the most part it is fantastic. Keep in mind these games were not tailor made for the Wii U.

Namco has had a really good run with the netcode for Tekken and Soul Calibur, with them working on this game our chances for great netcode(Brawls was terrible) is really high. That was the biggest reason for Brawls crappy online.

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
For one, you can make a hard wired connection for online gaming with the Wii U. That instantly will reduce lag. You can buy the official LAN adapter from Nintendo if you want.

I've been playing Call of Duty and Tekken Tag on Wii U and it runs very smoothly. I hit lag spikes when my wife has the computer going streaming movies and someone is using the ipad at the same time. Still for the most part it is fantastic. Keep in mind these games were not tailor made for the Wii U.

Namco has had a really good run with the netcode for Tekken and Soul Calibur, with them working on this game our chances for great netcode(Brawls was terrible) is really high. That was the biggest reason for Brawls crappy online.
Are you using a wired connection? Have you tried Brawl online on WIIU yet? I'm debating whether I should get a Lan Adapter or not.

Mr. Mumbles

Smash Ace
Nah, he's black and carrying guns
Black you say? Hmmm... yes I think I remember him. He's the one whose original blue prints were for a giant lizard thing, but somehow on our second attempt we accidentally created a hedgehog. We still got funding for some reason though, so we dubbed him a success, but I think the term ultimate life form may have gone to his head.

RomanceDawn

Smash Lord
NNID
Romancedawn
3DS FC
0044-2811-9045
Are you using a wired connection? Have you tried Brawl online on WIIU yet? I'm debating whether I should get a Lan Adapter or not.

I use a wireless connection but plan to get a wired connection when Smash 4 comes out, just in case. So even with my wireless connection everything has been amazing so far.

Still playing Brawl on the Wii U won't change much I'm sure. It's the netcode that's the issue and there is no changing that.

Toph_87

Smash Apprentice
Is the hedgehog blue?! Think man, think!! This makes all the difference in the world!!!
I unliked this post just so I could like it again. I love subtle humor in posts where you have to be a fan of the series to get it. The war against Silver continues! All hail Sonic!

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Given that Brawl's biggest criticism was the laggy online play no doubt they'll put a lot more focus on it. With the Wii U having dependable online capabilities I'm not worried one bit.

[Corn]

Smash Ace
Given that Brawl's biggest criticism was the laggy online play no doubt they'll put a lot more focus on it. With the Wii U having dependable online capabilities I'm not worried one bit.

Not many bought it for the online, most people just said it was bad.

I do believe Nintendo said they were *Upping* their internet at some point. Currently Injustice on Wii U's Online is horrible for me, like .5-1 second delay.

Ray Robo

Smash Ace
NNID
RayRobo
I think Namco Bandai can definitely improve the online of Smash 4, especially since it is most likely a main priority after all the complaints about lag and the with anyone/team battle taunt parties/matchmaking system. I'm not expecting perfection, but I do expect the experience to be a heck of a lot better than brawl.

[Corn]

Smash Ace
I think Namco Bandai can definitely improve the online of Smash 4, especially since it is most likely a main priority after all the complaints about lag and the with anyone/team battle taunt parties/matchmaking system. I'm not expecting perfection, but I do expect the experience to be a heck of a lot better than brawl.

This is basically what I am expecting as well.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Hey, remember that time that people thought online play would render tournaments obsolete? Good times. ^_^

I really do hope the online play is actually useful this time around. If two people have good connections, the game should be lagless. I don't understand how Nintendo servers were able to introduce sooooo much latency. In my Brawl matches online, I can only remember maybe 3 matches ever feeling "almost local". The rest ranged from noticeably laggy to unbearably desync'd.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I have extensively researched the topic of the Wii Us wifi, after discovering there is no ethernet port.

The Wii U uses 802.11N wifi.
The PS3 and Xbox360 use 802.11G wifi.
Heres a short explanation
http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...-between-802.11n-802.11a-802.11b-802.11g.html

To make it even shorter,
802.11N = 150 Foot range Downloads 300 Megabits per second.
802.11G = 50 Foot range Downloads 50 Megabits per second.

Unfortunately the Wii U has no way to connect to ethernet other than the old adapter for the Wii which uses a Usb1.0, which is slower than 802.11N
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketfish™---LAN-Adapter-for-Nintendo-Wii/9188611.p?id=1218051663723&skuId=9188611#tab=reviews

The Wifi is finally at a level that I feel confident matches a wired connection, I mean it's better than the PS3 and 360s wifi which was already pretty high up there, now triple that speed.

If you have a wifi connection, don't use the wii ethernet adapter, the Wii U's amazing wifi downloads faster than the adapter, as many reviews have stated, possibly because this adapter uses usb1.0. The Wii U needs an adapter that takes advantage of its Usb2.0 ports...possibly this one?
http://www.amazon.com/eForCity-Ethernet-Compatible-Nintendo-Wii-U/dp/B00A8AUNTU

You gotta ignore the outrageous numbers that products claim for there download speeds. There are websites where you can test your download speed. Although I don't really know how to read the results...

http://speedof.me/

On a side note here are the maximum download speeds claimed for wired Usb connections...
Usb1.0 = 12 Megabits per Seconds
Usb2.0 = 480 Megabits per Second
Usb3.0 (I don't think the Wii U Supports this but I think the PS4 and XBOXOne do): 5000 Megabits per Second, or is it 4 Gigabits per second, of 640 megabits per second...damnit its impossible to find one answer for any of these...

Long story short, Wii U Wifi is like nothing a console has seen before. Its crazy fast. You may never want to use a wired connection again.

To make the long story longer,
Make of all these numbers what you will, they are never as high as they claim and impossible to accurately pinpoint. Brawl wifi sucked mostly in part to the absolutely sh#$ netcode.
Ima just paste this here...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glZB4e6Egwk

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Sorry for double posting, but if you have time and you're really curious about this whole wifi vs ethernet debate, maybe this'll help...
fu#$#@$ long though. Nintendo knows what they are doing, I doubted the power of their CPU/GPU but have been proven wrong time and time again, it exceeds last gen standards and I'm sure we'll see that nintendo's decision to stick with wifi was a push in the right direction.
http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/technology/whitepapers/wp_Burton_End_of_Ethernet.pdf

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
Currently, Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate runs smoothly. Once in a while I might get a random lag spike, but that's about it. It runs pretty darn well. As for other games, I'm not 100% sure about.

PadWarrior

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasboards suck
I have extensively researched the topic of the Wii Us wifi, after discovering there is no ethernet port.

The Wii U uses 802.11N wifi.
The PS3 and Xbox360 use 802.11G wifi.
Heres a short explanation
http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...-between-802.11n-802.11a-802.11b-802.11g.html

To make it even shorter,
802.11N = 150 Foot range Downloads 300 Megabits per second.
802.11G = 50 Foot range Downloads 50 Megabits per second.

Unfortunately the Wii U has no way to connect to ethernet other than the old adapter for the Wii which uses a Usb1.0, which is slower than 802.11N
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Rocketfish™---LAN-Adapter-for-Nintendo-Wii/9188611.p?id=1218051663723&skuId=9188611#tab=reviews

The Wifi is finally at a level that I feel confident matches a wired connection, I mean it's better than the PS3 and 360s wifi which was already pretty high up there, now triple that speed.

If you have a wifi connection, don't use the wii ethernet adapter, the Wii U's amazing wifi downloads faster than the adapter, as many reviews have stated, possibly because this adapter uses usb1.0. The Wii U needs an adapter that takes advantage of its Usb2.0 ports...possibly this one?
http://www.amazon.com/eForCity-Ethernet-Compatible-Nintendo-Wii-U/dp/B00A8AUNTU

You gotta ignore the outrageous numbers that products claim for there download speeds. There are websites where you can test your download speed. Although I don't really know how to read the results...

http://speedof.me/

On a side note here are the maximum download speeds claimed for wired Usb connections...
Usb1.0 = 12 Megabits per Seconds
Usb2.0 = 480 Megabits per Second
Usb3.0 (I don't think the Wii U Supports this but I think the PS4 and XBOXOne do): 5000 Megabits per Second, or is it 4 Gigabits per second, of 640 megabits per second...damnit its impossible to find one answer for any of these...

Long story short, Wii U Wifi is like nothing a console has seen before. Its crazy fast. You may never want to use a wired connection again.

To make the long story longer,
Make of all these numbers what you will, they are never as high as they claim and impossible to accurately pinpoint. Brawl wifi sucked mostly in part to the absolutely sh#$ netcode.
Ima just paste this here...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glZB4e6Egwk
Thanks for the info dude! Greatly appreciate it!

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Sorry for double posting, but if you have time and you're really curious about this whole wifi vs ethernet debate, maybe this'll help...
fu#$#@$ long though. Nintendo knows what they are doing, I doubted the power of their CPU/GPU but have been proven wrong time and time again, it exceeds last gen standards and I'm sure we'll see that nintendo's decision to stick with wifi was a push in the right direction.
http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/technology/whitepapers/wp_Burton_End_of_Ethernet.pdf
Wifi still has a very long way to go. I prefer Ethernet over Wifi anyday. My Wifi is never as fast as my Ethernet connection, and Wifi has to deal with issues like interference, security, etc. Give me a wire. Wifi is for my devices that just need to download web pages.

Smur

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4141-3292-3562
All this info gives me such high hopes for SSB4 online :D, it's gonna feel so good adding someone by name-tag, having a relatively lagless match and maybe even using a headset while playing.
If they get it right this time, maybe online play actually CAN replace tournaments for once....or maybe I'm just getting a little too excited

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Why hasn't there been any fighting games with an online tournament feature?
Also, isn't smash the only fighting game with a tournament mode?

Mr.Showtime

Smash Ace
Why hasn't there been any fighting games with an online tournament feature?
Also, isn't smash the only fighting game with a tournament mode?

Its not really a great technique. What if someone disconnects from the tournament mode? What if it ends up lasting 6+ hours? Its really hard to keep 20+ players for a tournament without any issues happening.

Smur

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4141-3292-3562
Its not really a great technique. What if someone disconnects from the tournament mode? What if it ends up lasting 6+ hours? Its really hard to keep 20+ players for a tournament without any issues happening.
It shouldn't be that hard. Imo if you sign up for a tourney you should know what's coming, 6+ hours is kind of a stretch :p, maybe 3. As for disconnects, that would be a disqualification sooo TOUGH LUCK to that person. There could be a "ready to fight" prompt and if a certain amount of time passes without the other person being ready, they could get a DQ too.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
I really want an online multiplayer version of the tournament mode that the game already has.
An online tournament mode couldn't be impossible to setup,
especially if it just groups you with strangers in a lobby.
Anyone who disconnects gets disqualified, add like a 10 minute timer to matches
and let people spectate when they aren't playing.
I doubt a tournament would last an hour if you just set it up with like 16 people.
Of course if you wanna join a 64 man tournament go for it. Just give us the options we have offline for online!
Miiverse is getting an update this summer that will give developers all sorts of tools for online functionality,
like sharing content, organizing tourneys, and being able to join a game that someone is in.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I really want an online multiplayer version of the tournament mode that the game already has.
An online tournament mode couldn't be impossible to setup,
especially if it just groups you with strangers in a lobby.
Anyone who disconnects gets disqualified, add like a 10 minute timer to matches
and let people spectate when they aren't playing.
I doubt a tournament would last an hour if you just set it up with like 16 people.
Of course if you wanna join a 64 man tournament go for it. Just give us the options we have offline for online!
Miiverse is getting an update this summer that will give developers all sorts of tools for online functionality,
like sharing content, organizing tourneys, and being able to join a game that someone is in.
Actually, size wouldn't really matter as long people played their matches. Unlike "real" tournaments, in an online tournament, there is a 1:1 ratio of players to TVs. So, matches could ALWAYS be going on.

Top Bottom