• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Fox: worst grab game?

JVIV

Smash Rookie
The #1 thing holding back fox imo is his grab game. Dthrow doesn't work anymore as a combo throw, uthrow is reaction based but easy to react to, fthrow and bthrow can reset neutral/get enemy offstage and that's it. Isn't that really everything eveyr other character has except less? also no kill throw. does anyone else think fox's grab game is the worst in 4, or is there someone else who's grab grame is also horrible?

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
Cloud doesn't have great grabs either. Marth and Lucina's are iffy. I'm sure there's more.

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
Yoshi and Jigglypuff have it worse, I think. I would say Pac-Man, but I'm unsure about him. I just know people complain about the grab itself there.

Last edited:

EpicSonicLatios

Smash Apprentice
Well for one thing his grab itself is awesome, and easy to land. His THROW game isn't very good, but his dthrow has frame traps/situational true combos, his fthrow sets up tech chases, his uthrow fits great with fox's air game and frame traps. His bthrow is like, one of the worst throws in the game, but the other 3 have uses if you are smart. Dthrow isn't as hopeless as you think, you can get bair and uair frame traps where the opponent either eats the follow up or airdodges and eats a quick tilt or dash attack. If the opponent likes to attack your follow up option, you can just bait it out and punish. It puts the opponent in a pretty horrible spot in general, even if it doesn't have guarunteed follow ups.

Splebel

Smash Journeyman
Yoshi and Jigglypuff have it worse, I think. I would say Pac-Man, but I'm unsure about him. I just know people complain about the grab itself there.
I'm glad someone here said Pac-Man. Not only is the grab bad on multiple levels but he has no throw follow ups other than down throw to dash attack at really low percents, like <10%. Also Fox's grab game is nowhere near bad. Pac-Man, Villager (Moreso the grab itself), Samus, Prepatch Wii Fit Trainer, Prepatch Mewtwo, Cloud, and Little Mac were/are some of the worst.

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
I'm glad someone here said Pac-Man. Not only is the grab bad on multiple levels but he has no throw follow ups other than down throw to dash attack at really low percents, like <10%. Also Fox's grab game is nowhere near bad. Pac-Man, Villager (Moreso the grab itself), Samus, Prepatch Wii Fit Trainer, Prepatch Mewtwo, Cloud, and Little Mac were/are some of the worst.
There wasn't really anything wrong with pre-patch Mewtwo's throw game. All of his throws except down throw are very good. The latest patch didn't do anything much to improve it either. You don't necessarily have to have a combo throw to have a good throw game.

Last edited:

Top Boss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PizzaMonkey24
3DS FC
2449-5103-4580
Fox has great utility off of all his throws. definitely not the worst.

Splebel

Smash Journeyman
There wasn't really anything wrong with pre-patch Mewtwo's throw game. All of his throws except down throw are very good. The latest patch didn't do anything much to improve it either. You don't necessarily have to have a combo throw to have a good throw game.
I forgot to put it in there; which is weird cause I remembered for Villager, but for Wii Fit Trainer and Mewtwo I was talking about the grab itself. They had a tendency to whiff on short characters. But yeah, Mewtwo's up throw excludes him from having a lousy throw game.

Last edited:

GenkiDama

Smash Rookie
Compared to my bro who mains mario, fox's throws are sad lol. His grabs kick ass though. Pivot grab is amazing. I can get dthrow to bair pretty reliably. Dthrow to fair to upair is a good string too. I just like dthrow to bair because stylin' haha. Nah, I just find it easier to land the rar bair honestly. Fox's fair is still awkward for me ¤_¤

Back throw is ****e. I might use it to throw someone off stage...might.

Up throw isn't terrible. It might not have follow ups like some other up throws but it puts you exactly where you want to be. On flat ground with your opponent above you. Sets up frame trap shenanigans, and boy does Fox ♡♡♡ those!

Fthrow can be a oos gtf off me thing to reset neutral and will lead to a tech chase situation

Last edited:

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
Compared to my bro who mains mario, fox's throws are sad lol. His grabs kick *** though. Pivot grab is amazing. I can get dthrow to bair pretty reliably. Dthrow to fair to upair is a good string too. I just like dthrow to bair because stylin' haha. Nah, I just find it easier to land the rar bair honestly. Fox's fair is still awkward for me ¤_¤

Back throw is ****e. I might use it to throw someone off stage...might.

Up throw isn't terrible. It might not have follow ups like some other up throws but it puts you exactly where you want to be. On flat ground with your opponent above you. Sets up frame trap shenanigans, and boy does Fox ♡♡♡ those!

Fthrow can be a oos gtf off me thing to reset neutral and will lead to a tech chase situation

the problem with dthrow to fair/bair/uair is that it actually has nothing to do with you, its all totally on whether your opponent knows how to DI or not.
As for uthrow to frame traps, this is nice, but good opponents know how to avoid this as well. (some characters have enough horizontal mobility or good aerial options to cover their landing to escape these, and good players will typically go out and around off stage where fox cant chase them, and then grab ledge, rather than trying to land on stage where fox can pressure them)

GenkiDama

Smash Rookie
Yes, dthrow follow ups do depend on DI. DI away=bair, no di=fair, di in=uair. And it's not as easy as just deciding to get to the ledge after an up throw and even if they do, at least you're left in an advantageous state.

Dr. Bread

Smash Apprentice
something to consider: low% d-throw-f-air also can true combo into u-air.
couldn't tell you exactly when this doesn't work, but it seems pretty reliable... could be generic combo DI gets you out of it but i haven't tested anything.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
B Throw is good for positioning I feel. D Throw is good for ground follow ups, but mostly at higher %s I avoid most throws except B Throw or F Throw and then I just follow up with either Lasers or a N Air. Fox is mobile enough to work with 'bad throws'.

Top Bottom