• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

G&W vs. Link on FD

BassX

Smash Rookie
I consider myself to be a really good G&W player but Im finding a situation to where I am rendered completely useless. That situation is against Link on Final Destination. Obviously the link player spams items and runs away from me everytime I get near unless he can get an easy smash attack in. Also Link's up smash with the sword as im coming down with the key hurts my air approach.

Any thoughts or Ideas?

Smaggles

Smash Cadet
I personally wouldn't air approach at all because of Link's massive hit boxes and G&W not having many hit boxes he can put out in the air that Link can't beat if you're the one approaching. I would essentially just play touhou with his projectiles and edge my way closer to him and try to corner him near the ledge and punish when he tries to either attack or continues to boomerang/bomb/arrow while I'm close to him.

Dakpo

Smash Lord
Link isnt too bad on FD. You need to get your item game down. This include instant throwing bombs backs and fairly consistent shield reflecting. This helps by ducking then shielding. Do you have any videos?

Joshua Tenner

Smash Rookie
This is going to look like sarcasm, but it isn't. Against link, you are outclassed with weapons and projectiles.

You are not outclassed in speed and manuverability.

The above tool is precisely what you need. Disjoint, range, and it's basically out forever.

And maybe some of that too, but it doesn't have as many active frames, it's pretty situational.

If the projectiles get too hot, legitimately use this.

Get out of link's way. Never go towards him. Make him chase you and be a troll. Wavedash backwards and fTilt is so good for this kind of matchup.

You will be outclassed with air moves, but you want to be over your opponent when link is doing horizonal moves using GDubs dair. If you connect, up B will connect for combo almost always. Example combo: Dair (l-cancel) => Up B => Nair.

Top Bottom