• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GC controller just a possibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stryker427

Smash Rookie
Joystiq just recently posted an article on Mercury Meltdown Revolution ( http://www.joystiq.com/2007/01/12/wii-puzzler-drops-gcn-controller-support/), new wii game, not important right now.

However it goes on to mention that though Sakurai promised GC controller compatibility, this may actually mean that the 'classic controller' will be used instead.., Judging by Ignition's actions of not bothering to take the risk of implementing the GC controller code, which, according to joystiq, was probably not issued by nintendo.

I personally think Sakurai has extremely close ties with Nintendo, and that this wont be an issue. Also, HAL supplied him with everything from Melee, most likely including the GC controller code. Nintendo/Sora will have a ton of unhappy fans if we are all forced to buy a new set of controllers, though.

Bolshoi

Smash Journeyman
I wouldn't be too worried about it. If there's any game they'll get it to work on, it'll be this game.

On a side note, I'm surprised how many people responding to that article were so bent on having GCN controllability.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
Doesn't that DBZ game on the Wii have a GCN controller option? Not sure, I just heard it somewhere.

Personally, I think it's a stupid move for Nintendo to make it use the GC controller instead of the VC controller.

SSBM is still selling strong. It's been out since 2001. 6 years?

SSBB will probably just as big. I doubt they'll supply us with new GCN controllers for 6 years.

Pit 42

Smash Lord
Doesn't that DBZ game on the Wii have a GCN controller option? Not sure, I just heard it somewhere.

Personally, I think it's a stupid move for Nintendo to make it use the GC controller instead of the VC controller.

SSBM is still selling strong. It's been out since 2001. 6 years?

SSBB will probably just as big. I doubt they'll supply us with new GCN controllers for 6 years.
My thoughts exactly. I'd much rather use the VC controller rather than dig out my Wavebird. The control stick on it is busted, anyway. Wouldn't Nintendo want fans to start fresh? Besides, it'll be even easier to get used to once Smash Bros. 64 is released for the VC.

ricey09

Smash Cadet
I personally would prefer use of the GCN controller because my hands are used and comforted to the button imputs and controls for smash on GCN. I think there should be a choice based on preference.

dark-war-cloud

Smash Journeyman
it wont sell unless they let people use the gc controller... its almost a guarentee becuase in an interview he said "the Wii controller is motion sensitive, if we did that it would ruin the point of the game..." thats not exactly what he said but it was close... so we have an almost guarantee of being able to use a gc or classic controller...

CO

Smash Ace
NNID
CO_Runaway7
3DS FC
3136-6583-7782
I personally wouldn't mind using the vc controller. I got one on launch and it is very nice to use. It also works well with DBZ on the Wii. Though it is a totally different fighting game then Brawl it gives me hope that if they do use it then it won't be so bad. Xsyven nailed it on the head when he said that GCN controllers aren't going to be around later on after the release of this game so it would be a smart move to use the vc controller or atleast have it as an option.

AS Juggernaut

Smash Journeyman
it wont sell unless they let people use the gc controller... its almost a guarentee becuase in an interview he said "the Wii controller is motion sensitive, if we did that it would ruin the point of the game..." thats not exactly what he said but it was close... so we have an almost guarantee of being able to use a gc or classic controller...
what he said is dont throw away your GCN controllers and about him not likin the motion sentitiveness of the controller doesn't mean they wouldnt have u use the wii remote and nunchuck all it says is there might not be motion sensitive controlls to the wii remote.

EnFerris

Smash Journeyman
Thanks so much guys, for actually paying attention to what Sakurai said. We should form a club! "People who don't jump to the conclusions that nothing will change, but rather adapt to th way they already are!"

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Well... I'll just have to find $80 [or 40 USD] for controls and I'll just pluck money for 2 more if none of my other friends have Wiis. I haven't using the retro controller so I don't know which one I would prefer.

Goetz

Smash Rookie
I think it will support both the Classic and GCN. Personally I choose the classic. I like the joysticks better and the button layout is more my style because it's the standard diamond style.

If you guys want to know what the CC feels like, just pick up an SNES controller and imagine it with the GCN controler's shoulder buttons, buttons next to the shoulder buttons called ZL and ZR, 2 joysticks below the d-pad and 4 face buttons.

Eaode

Smash Champion
Control Scheme

The wiimote+nunchuck has the potential to work well, actually.

Wii Remote + Nunchuck:

A: Regular attacks

B: Special attacks

Analog stick: Movement/Jumping

Z: Shield

C: Grab (upon release, as to not interfere with C+D-pad inputs)

D-pad left: Grab (to the left)

D-pad down: Jump

D-pad right: Grab (to the right)

D-pad up: Unused

Z+D-pad left/right: Constant roll (like c-stick in melee)

Z+D-pad down: Constant side step (like c-stick)

Z+D-pad up: Jump (like c-stick)

C+D-pad any direction: automatic smashes/aerials (replacement of c-stick)

Z+A: grab

Z+analog stick: normal shield movements

(-): taunt

(+): pause

Blackshadow

Smash Ace
Adelaide, Australia. Along with my Mad Duck.
That sounds a bit awkward...I mean you have to sorta move your hand's position a little when trying to press any of the D-Pad directions (or maybe that's just me)...but besides all that it sounds alright. I'd prefer the GC controller or Classic Controller though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom