• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Get Your Own SSBM Footage!!! (Step by step guide)

FFLUUD

Smash Rookie
Hey, i have a dvd player but i cant hook it up, i dont know why though i plug all the stuff in but the screen is fuzzed up and crap. thus i cant record me playing or upload it to my comp. any idea wat to do? :psycho:

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
Does anyone know any capture cards that suppot PAL 60hz.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
call me ignorant, but isnt there/shouldnt there be a digital device that can directly connect to an a/v port on a tv and record on queue*, similar to tivo cept without the whole cable service thing?

superyoshi888

Smash Lord
I have a question. Does recording on a vhs, then recording that using the capture card cause lag like playing directly? I have found a capture card since I don't want to invest in a gamebridge, and I just would like to know before I do anything.

SinkingHigher

Smash Lord
Step By Step Guide to Recording via Camera

Step 1: Recording The Video.

Alright, this is pretty simple. If you can't do this, then... honestly... wtf.

Set the camera in the closest position possible. Avoid using old fashion screens, because flickering AS WELL as glare will become quite irritable for viewers. If you have a projector, they work beautifully.

Flickering TV screens is not something that can be avoided. Because the TV screen is constantly replacing tiny rows along the screen in rapid succession, the framerate of the TV and that of the camera will conflict with one another. Dark recording conditions help somewhat, but not entirely.

Alright, once you have decent footage, it's off to the computer. Now comes the next step.

Step 2: Software.

Most people prefer to watch videos on youtube. This can be a problem because of loading times, video file sizes, and video types. This is where we make the video youtube friendly.

Here are the tools you will need.

Virtual Dub.

This is the only video editing software you will need. V1.8.3 is the latest stable version and everything runs smoothly.

PLEASE NOTE. For some video files, and possibly a software compatability issue with Vista, you may need to download an MPEG-2 version. This works just the same as the original. You will know if you need this version if you get the following error message when trying to save as AVI:

"mpeg import filter: invalid pack at position 3: marker bit not set; possibly mpeg-2 stream"

Basically, if this happens, download:

Virtual Dub Mpeg-2

Alright, with that done, you only need one more thing.

X-Vid Codec

Download and install both files. After that...

Step 3: Converting.

Now you have all the tools you need.

1.Open VirtualDub.

2. Import the Video file.

File >> Open Video File >> Open.

3. Resize:

Video
Filters
Add
Locate the "Resize" option
New Width: 320, New Height: 240
OK
OK.

4. Compress Video File:

Video
Make sure "Full Processing Mode" is CHECKED
Compression
Locate the X-Vid Codec (Under "Format Restrictions", it should NOT say "Couldn't find compatible...")
Configure
Leave everything the way it is. Locate a "Calculator" symbol.

Under "Duration", enter the duration of your video.
Under "File Size" enter the desired file size of the output file. For a 3 minute brawl vid, about 30MB should be fine.

OK
OK
OK

Now for Audio...

Audio
Full Processing Mode CHECKED
Compression
Select MP3 (48kbps is good)
OK

Now to save...

File >> Save as AVI >> OK.

Step 4: Uploading.

Assuming you want to upload to Youtube, just log in to your profile, hit the Upload button, enter the data for the video, go to the next step, locate the video, and then just upload and wait.

It takes anywhere from 1 to 5 minutes PER MB. This means a 3 minute video could take anywhere from half an hour, to 6 hours to upload. After that, processing can take up to an hour.

There's honestly nothing you can do about this. The traffic on youtube is ridiculous. Once your done, just post the link.

Fin.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Wow that looks like a cool little device. Tell me how it works out. Specifically if it works with Windows Media Encoder since I'm stubborn and refuse to work with anything else lol.

Top Bottom