• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Glide Tossing Nuance - You should all read this probably

Vyse

Faith, Hope, Love, Luck
BRoomer
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=10531614#post10531614

I asked around, and no one seems to know about this. So even if it's well-documented (I couldn't find it) I hope someone will get something out of this and use it.

If you are jabbing in sequence and attempt to grab, the game will see the grab as a jab and continue your jab pattern unless you cancel it with a crouch first. This is well-known and documented and used frequently by many characters.

If you shield and attempt to grab, you shield grab. This is because there is a special circumstance the game understands: "I'm trying to grab out of shield right now." As far as I know, this is a special case and Brawl knows what a shield grab is.

However, interestingly enough, if you attempt to grab after an action has been performed out of shield very quickly, Brawl will read it as a shield (just like in the case of grab) and you will simply shield again.

Because of this, glide tossing into a grab isn't usually possible, or not smoothly. We simply wait until the glide animation ends and then grab, if we do it at all.

I have found however that if you glide toss downwards (up doesn't really work, the animation is usually too long, but I didn't test everyone) and then immediately tap down, you can grab during the glide toss animation; your character will slide into their grab, extending the range of the grab by a small amount and making you look super cool and flashy.

This is very useful for ZSS and Peach, and maybe even Diddy Kong.
I can't say this is a part of my knowledge of the game.
Heck, nuances like this are something that slip me by a lot of the time.

Known, unknown?

Yikarur

Smash Master
like I said in the other thread he (it is a he right? xD) just don't buffer it right.
the crouch doesn't interrupt the glidetoss animation at all it just makes the point where the glidetoss ends visible and makes you able to input grab without buffering. (Buffering is better anyway)

TreK

Is "that guy"
If it looks like what I think it looks like, it is really good. Gotta see by myself...

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
A sliding grab out of a Down Glide Toss sounds epic. I'd love to do this against an opponent dashing at me: Glide Toss backwards while grabbing, they slip on the Nana directly into the Grab. It would be lulz :3

3DS FC
5429-7210-5657
Vyse, just so you know, With Diddy it works better with up throw, which is kind of cool because he can throw his target into the banana.

edit: Also pretty well with fthrow -- on Olimar, I am able to fthrow into grab. The banana hits him and you are able to grab him while he is in hitstun and before he trips. Pretty neat.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
this could work on fox and pit when they are trying to reflect our bananas

sai_:)

Smash Ace
Very interesting read, I'll probably start experimenting with this stuff. Thanks supermodel + vyse

Ingulit

Ing-u-lit
When you explain something else in a more cryptic way (that doesn't even make sense the way you worded it) than the OP's very simple explanation to a common problem, to be honest, no.

redrighthand

Smash Apprentice
My interpretation of this is that it is similar to Crouch Cancelling jabs into a grab. With the sudden down on control stick? Plus I've got no problem with looking super-cool and flashy. Great opening quote.

redrighthand

Smash Apprentice
this is too confusing im just picking up diddy does this help or make his naner game worst?
It's just a means of Grabbing right after a glide toss. If you attempted to do this without the down tap you would just shield I believe. Gives you extra grab range and looks 'super-cool and flashy' :D

Yikarur

Smash Master
it's just like for people who can't buffer a grab, it doesn't get extra grab range.

SaveMeJebus

Smash Master
I found out that you can buffer a grab before the shield animation comes out and you can do this while glide tossing in any direction. I don't know if the grab is fast enough to grab shielding opponents before they get a chance to react. someone should test it out. I also found that if you buffer everything right, the banana will still be in the air when the opponent is thrown. This could mean some new potential combos at low percents.

Top Bottom