• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Greninja's custom moves

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member

The custom movesets didn't interest me until I saw the options for Mario's moveset(don't have it now, but it is on the roundtable video on Nintendo's Youtube channel), I want to know some ideas that could be used on his moveset as they seem to be very varied. Any thoughts on this?

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Water Pulse could be a variation for Greninja's neutral B (Water Shuriken). It is the only move I can think of now.

Also, Greninja is not male.

D

Deleted member

Water Pulse could be a variation for Greninja's neutral B (Water Shuriken). It is the only move I can think of now.

Also, Greninja is not male.
He has a higher chance of being male, I'm playing it safe
I guess Squirtle's Waterfall could be one of his Up-B, and maybe Water Gun too for Neutral-B

JesseMcCloud

AKA Zessei, Herald of Fate
NNID
JesseMcCloud
3DS FC
3652-0660-4917
On one of the Clubhouse videos demoing Smash Run, one of the unlocks is move for Greninja called "Stagnant Shuriken."
In this light, is seems that we're just getting altered properties of existing moves, not brand-new moves altogether.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

On one of the Clubhouse videos demoing Smash Run, one of the unlocks is move for Greninja called "Stagnant Shuriken."
In this light, is seems that we're just getting altered properties pf existing moves, not brand-new moves altogether.
Yes, they are just altered prperties, but big ones, like Mario's super jump and explosive punch, Kirby being able to freeze opponents with the Neutral-B and so on

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Stagnant shuriken...Paralysis on the final hit,does slightly less damage.
Other shuriken could be stronger,but slower with some effects...idk.

Aqua jet 2:Goes farther no damage
I need to be more creative...

KERO

Smash Journeyman
I sure hope that one of the alternate properties for shuri is being able to save it but with a longer charge time. That would be incredible.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
In this light, is seems that we're just getting altered properties of existing moves, not brand-new moves altogether.
Yeah, I think it's been stated that completely unique custom moves are unique to Palutena and Miis.

I wonder what Stagnant Shuriken does...

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
Stagnant shuriken...it sounds like the shuriken would stay in place after it was tossed.

Anyways, how about an Aqua jet that can't be angled, but can go further? I'm a little stumped on shadow sneak and substitute though. Maybe substitute can actually be held, but the longer it is the less damage you do?

KERO

Smash Journeyman
Anyways, how about an Aqua jet that can't be angled, but can go further?
Greninja could already do that in the demo. If you just held one direction, he'd go fairly far in that direction.

Stagnant Shuriken could work like Snake's mines but in the air maybe? Greninja could put it a little in front of or behind him and it would sit there with an active hitbox until it hits something.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
Greninja could already do that in the demo. If you just held one direction, he'd go fairly far in that direction.
I meant get rid of the option to angle it for something that goes a little further. Maybe even faster to help differentiate. But, maybe that wouldn't be too big a change.

It would be odd to see a shuriken stay for that long, but it would create some interesting options, so I'd be up for it.

What about water shurikens that home in on an opponent, but don't go as far. Or a water shuriken that can't be charged, but keeps going until it hits something, or is off screen?

KERO

Smash Journeyman
Oh, you meant an Up-B that always goes a certain way based on where Greninja is facing? I could see that, yeah. Water Shuriken homing in on the opponent would be interesting (like a faster version of Samus's normal missiles?).

I'd also like to see a version of shuri similar to Fox's lasers, resembling the nature of the move in X/Y.

T0MMY

Smash Master
Stagnate, like something is going "stale". So stagnate Shuriken makes me think of Stale Moves, a mechanic in Smash where the damage/knockback is scaled back. So it would be shuriken without knockback, similar to Fox Lasers - or more like the customization of Mario's fireballs that was showcased.
Just my guess.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Greninja

Neutral Specials
Neutral Special [Default]: Water Shuriken
Neutral Special [Custom 1]: Stagnant Shuriken (slower Shuriken that does lesser damage but juggles opponents as it moves forward. A great comboing attack that deals multiple hits.)
Neutral Special [Custom 2]: Tri Shuriken (unchargeable. Throws three small Water Shurikens. Does less damage and knockback but much faster and easy to fire.)

Side Specials
Side Special [Default]: Shadow Sneak
Side Special [Custom 1]: Shadow Control (acts much similar to Shadow Sneak but Greninja is unable to move around. Instead, while charging, moving the control stick changes the direction of the attack. Pushing it up causes Greninja to move upward to perform the attack.)
Side Special [Custom 2]: Slippery Sneak (performing the attack much like the original Shadow Sneak but Greninja leaves a slippery gel that causes opponents behind Greninja to slip and trip. The gel lasts only for a few seconds after the attack. Greninja can slip if it jumps on it after the attack.)

Up Specials
Up Special [Default]: Water Jet
Up Special [Custom 1]: Scalding Jet (much like the original move but instead, Greninja causes the water to be boiling causing fire damage to those who are hit. It retains the same attributes as Water Jet.)
Up Special [Custom 2]: Haze Jet (much like Water Jet but, instead, Greninja ejects icy cold water that doesn't damage opponents upon contact but can freeze them more easily.)

Down Specials
Down Special [Default]: Substitute
Down Special {Custom 1]: Smokey Substitute (performs the Substitute attack but, instead of countering, Greninja blasts smoke into the opponent causing the controls to become slightly sluggish.)
Down Special [Custom 2]: Thief Substitute (performs Substitute but, upon attack, it does less damage but steals the opponents held item such as the baseball bat.)

Spirst

Though it's kind of a stretch, I was secretly hoping one of Greninja's custom B specials would allow his shuriken to be stored (perhaps at the cost of less damage/knockback). The Tri Shuriken sounds really nifty though when trying to zone and apply pressure to force an approach.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Apparently from another thread Greninja has the following custom moves confirmed:

Shadow Sneak:

Intense Shadow Sneak: Shadow moves slower through the ground, Shadow can move farther away, attack deals more knockback

Speedy Shadow Sneak: Teleport is instant, no moving Shadow. He teleports an specific distance equal to about 75% of Shadow Sneak's max range. Attack deals less knockback.

Substitute:

Greninja Explosion: Greninja dissapears for a brief moment and then reappears with an explosion around himself. This is NOT a counter.

Hydro Pump:

Single Pump: Greninja only throws one pump instead of 2 so he can only go 1 direction (like Fox's Up-B). He gains about 30% more distance.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
He has a slower version of Substitute that has a large delay before the actual attack comes out after a successful counter, but does more damage.

It also appears to scale with the damage of the hit he countered, unlike the normal version.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
He has a slower version of Substitute that has a large delay before the actual attack comes out after a successful counter, but does more damage.

It also appears to scale with the damage of the hit he countered, unlike the normal version.
Are you sure of this? Where did you get this info?

BlueTerrorist

Smash Ace
To follow up on Raykz's post. These are all the custom moves I seen for Greninja. (I'm not sure of the official names though and I will list just the customs):

Neutral B

Shuriken 2: The Shuriken stays in place in front of Greninja and does multiple hits on the opponent. The shuriken is bigger if you charge it. Easily leaves the opponent open for follow ups and is good pressure on shields. I believe I saw it miss though if you do it too close to the opponent.

Shuriken 3: It's smaller but it sends the opponent towards Greninja when it hits similar to one of Sheik's custom specials. Good for starting combos too.

Side B:

Shadow Sneak 2: It's much slower but goes farther and does more knockback on hit.

Shadow Sneak 3: Just as Raykz said. Greninja teleports instantly about 75% of Sneak's range and there is no moving shadow. There is less knockback on the attack.

Down B:

Substitute 2: Greninja disappears and reappears in place in a explosion. This isn't a counter, more like a move to use as a reversal.

Substitute 3: Same as default but it's a little longer until he reappears for the counterattack. The knockback is huge and if the opponent tries to block, their shield gets broken from what I saw.

Up B:

Hydro Pump 2: It's similar to his default but it is a bit slower and he can go in the same direction twice.

Hydro Pump 3: He shoots himself up one way. This one goes a bit further.

I got this from watching NinjaLink's stream. I saw all this for myself.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
To follow up on Raykz's post. These are all the custom moves I seen for Greninja. (I'm not sure of the official names though and I will list just the customs):

Neutral B

Shuriken 2: The Shuriken stays in place in front of Greninja and does multiple hits on the opponent. The shuriken is bigger if you charge it. Easily leaves the opponent open for follow ups and is good pressure on shields. I believe I saw it miss though if you do it too close to the opponent.

Shuriken 3: It's smaller but it sends the opponent towards Greninja when it hits similar to one of Sheik's custom specials. Good for starting combos too.

Side B:

Shadow Sneak 2: It's much slower but goes farther and does more knockback on hit.

Shadow Sneak 3: Just as Raykz said. Greninja teleports instantly about 75% of Sneak's range and there is no moving shadow. There is less knockback on the attack.

Down B:

Substitute 2: Greninja disappears and reappears in place in a explosion. This isn't a counter, more like a move to use as a reversal.

Substitute 3: Same as default but it's a little longer until he reappears for the counterattack. The knockback is huge and if the opponent tries to block, their shield gets broken from what I saw.

Up B:

Hydro Pump 2: It's similar to his default but it is a bit slower and he can go in the same direction twice.

I am liking the sound of that super strong substitute.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
It's really good for mindgames, considering that the time it takes for him to reach you varies greatly depending on what direction you have him perform the counter from, which makes it difficult to dodge

I tried to get NinjaLink to clarify whether its damage gets increased by stronger hits, but I don't think he saw my message. It seems like it does, though, because it did 17% and 18% a few times when it normally deals 15% damage, and those numbers came from countering Mario's tilts, as opposed to his fireballs.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
It's really good for mindgames, considering that the time it takes for him to reach you varies greatly depending on what direction you have him perform the counter from, which makes it difficult to dodge

I tried to get NinjaLink to clarify whether its damage gets increased by stronger hits, but I don't think he saw my message. It seems like it does, though, because it did 17% and 18% a few times when it normally deals 15% damage, and those numbers came from countering Mario's tilts, as opposed to his fireballs.

I am just excited for anything that can kill on Greninja, since he can do everything but kill at the moment :p.

Spirst

Neutral B

Side B:

Down B:

Up B:

Jesus christ, it breaks the shield? That's insane.
The explosion down-b seems more useful overall than the regular counter. The knockback looks to be pretty high, doesn't need to be timed properly like a counter, and it has invincibility frames.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Jesus christ, it breaks the shield? That's insane.
The explosion down-b seems more useful overall than the regular counter. The knockback looks to be pretty high, doesn't need to be timed properly like a counter, and it has invincibility frames.

The problem with the explosion custom is you don't move and inch, not even in the air and it's a very laggy move, so it basically would have to be used as a counter in order to actually land it.

Also his strong counter only breaks about 66% of the shield. It doesn't break it completely so I am doubting how useful it will be as everyone will just shield the hit basically. I guess you could finish the shield off after by playing hyper-aggresive after a counter.

I noticed the "quick shadow sneak" actually has less lag on disappearance and reappearance, so it might actually be a very cool move to have. But the "intense shadow sneak" can kill at 100%. So many options!

Spirst

The problem with the explosion custom is you don't move and inch, not even in the air and it's a very laggy move, so it basically would have to be used as a counter in order to actually land it.

Also his strong counter only breaks about 66% of the shield. It doesn't break it completely so I am doubting how useful it will be as everyone will just shield the hit basically. I guess you could finish the shield off after by playing hyper-aggresive after a counter.

I noticed the "quick shadow sneak" actually has less lag on disappearance and reappearance, so it might actually be a very cool move to have. But the "intense shadow sneak" can kill at 100%. So many options!
That's true enough.

The strong counter can also be used the other way around. I feel like the opponent would be less likely to use their shield for any amount of time after the strong counter eats up most of it. A lot of pressure can be applied beforehand and while their shield is already deteriorated a bit, the strong counter could be used.

Shadow sneak is one of my favorite moves in this game. Quick shadow sneak definitely seems useful. The only issue with it is that it doesn't seem to alleviate the issue Greninja has with KO power.

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
Shadow sneak 3
substitute 2
Shuriken 3
Hydropump idk maybe 3

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Shadow sneak 3
substitute 2
Shuriken 3
Hydropump idk maybe 3
Hydro Pump 1
Shuriken 1
I have no idea on Shadow Sneak
Either regular counter or "strong" counter depending on which Shadow Sneak I get. (Strong Counter if I don't get "Intense Shadow Sneak" so that I can have an special kill move, otherwise if I do have "Intense Shadow Sneak" then I'll just pick regular counter).

Sky Saber

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4983-5890-8462
Might change after messing around with them, but as of now, I'm going with...

Hydro Pump 1: Just seems like the best one
Water Shuriken 2: Looks pretty interesting, and looks like you can make good follow-ups.
Shadow Sneak 3: Imo, it's more reliable, and better at surprising the opponent.
Substitute 2: I honestly don't like counter moves, so I'll be using this. Seems decent as a reversal.

Greninja has some of the best customs imo. Not many, if any are totally useless. Tons of options.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
Cleaning up this subforum, so I'm locking a few threads.

Greninja's custom moves have been added to the Moveset & General Information Thread, so please take discussion regarding his customs there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom