• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hammer radius

The Godfather

Smash Rookie
Hmm while I was going against a couple of cpu's about a month ago I noticied that Kirby's hammer can hit people behind him. and it has some knockback to and it does about 8-10%.
Now my question iscan this be used stragetically or is it just a cool thing to notice?

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
i noticed that too. i did it to a pichu(cpu) and it did the full 23 to it behind me. he was really close.

but in all hte move is just much top slow to use at all on the ground

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
Kirby's hammer has a circular radius like hit box. About twice his radius. Despite position damage should be the same unless gravity/DI is acting on it.

Dragon_Hawk

Smash Lord
Hmm while I was going against a couple of cpu's about a month ago I noticied that Kirby's hammer can hit people behind him. and it has some knockback to and it does about 8-10%.
Now my question iscan this be used stragetically or is it just a cool thing to notice?
Unless you're facing like, Pichu, and have predicted their tech after d-throw or whatever it's more or less just for flash. Way too slow, way too laggy and not particularly reliable either.

smasher32

Smash Journeyman
Unless you're facing like, Pichu, and have predicted their tech after d-throw or whatever it's more or less just for flash. Way too slow, way too laggy and not particularly reliable either.
Which is why nobody expects the hammer! Either they crouch cancel and you get lots of damage on em or they don't, you hit em around a little bit, and you juggle them with u-tilts.

Air hammers (imo) are great when the opponent doesn't know what to do. It's using it on the ground I could never get, even though T!mmy makes good use of the ground hammer >_>

Binx

Smash Master
Which is why nobody expects the hammer! Either they crouch cancel and you get lots of damage on em or they don't, you hit em around a little bit, and you juggle them with u-tilts.

Air hammers (imo) are great when the opponent doesn't know what to do. It's using it on the ground I could never get, even though T!mmy makes good use of the ground hammer >_>
Timmy doesn't use the ground hammer in tournament matches, he does like to try it in friendlies, I actually will be posting a friendlies set later on where he kills my nana with a ground hammer, but he really doesn't use it, risky moves aren't risky if you know that they will hit but they often wont.

t!MmY

Smash Hero
NNID
t1mmy_smash
Actually, I do use it in tourney matches. >_>

But you have to realize that if the Hammer is only good %1.25 of the time, the chances of seeing it used in a tourney match is very rare.

psykoplympton

Smash Ace
i used it on a recovering jigglypuff in a tournament. the lag from her over-b is punishable if you know when she will do it. she did it right at ground level hoping to grab the ledge and slammed her. was real great feeling. like a c falcon knee or bowser f-smash.

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
I feel so dumb for about about it like it was aerial. :laugh:

Hmm, tech chasing on platforms or smaller stages are most effective.
I've seen a couple videos of Timmy using the hammer on Tommy when he was playing at his best ($100 Money Match).

When Kirby's drawing the hammer he swings a little behind it. You can see it in HRC standing backwards to the Sand Bag. The "reverse" hammer always has a larger knock back and small range (of course). At least the reverse hammer I know.

Top Bottom