• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Har har har Wario, looks like we have a chain grab to death on him

Status
Not open for further replies.

LanceStern

Smash Lord
So I was battling a lvl 9 Wario on final destination for a little spacing practice when I found something funny. Wario had jumped off the ledge and was coming BACK on the stage with a bair when my dashing grappling hook caught him in midair.

Wario can be grabbed in the air by Samus' grab? That's weird.

And so it led to something that might be interesting, Samus can chain grab Wario? I tested it in training mode with a lvl 9 on RUN (so they do anything possible to escape), and in vs. mode but I want to grab a controller and mash jump.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVV5urIliks

It seems her dashing grab might be a little disjointed. So far if you if you time it too early he'll footstool you, and too late maybe he can jump, but perfectly timed I haven't seen him escape.

Can I laugh out loud and say "Poor Wario" or should I test a little more?

ZeroL

Smash Apprentice
Actually, I also discoverd this on Friday XD. But it's a chaingrab if you buffer everything perfectly and stuff. But the set-up vs good Warios is almost impossible. Good Warios don't get grabbed here. But still, amazing find :)

LanceStern

Smash Lord
Warios are easier to grab with Samus. Use the zair -> grab frame trap. And BECAUSE it can be done at low percents, it's almost a guaranteed frame trap into a grab.

I find grabbing warios pretty nice. Load up a bunch of projectiles, a bunch of zairs and throw in random grabs. You will get him!

ZeroL

Smash Apprentice
Even so, we will need some set-ups for this. I've been in training mode for about 10 minutes and I have found about X set-ups so far.

- The classic Zair > Grab
- Super Missile > Grab
- Uair > Jab > Grab (This only works at low percent)

And this is something I found while playing around with the chaingrab:

Zair > Grab > Chaingrab x2 > Dair > Jablock > Super Missile > Charge shot (most flashy ever)

I hope this will help some people.

Muz

Smash Apprentice
Wario will only air release if he is holding up or jump when getting out of the grab(Just tested this in a 2 player match). So all they have to do is not do that and this combo won't work. But its still a great find, as people have a high tendency to hold up/DI up from grabs. plus I like the Dair spike at the end of the video, that can definitely be useful if they DI poorly.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Short characters are unusual. Why do you think that Marth has a grab on Ness and Lucas? Marth is tall, but Ness and Lucas are short. So when you pick them up, as long as you are not hitting them before they escape, they get grabbed again by Marth. Well, wait a minute. It might also be because Ness and Lucas have some strange frames when they are released. :confused: But, even ZSS can grab Wario just fine.

Muz

Smash Apprentice
That is incorrect. Why do you think so many people have these grab release combos on Wario?
People have a lot of grab release combos on Wario because alot of wario mains tend to be mashing up and jump when they grab, since wario is a mostly aerial character. If you really want I can post a vid of me grabbing warios and them releasing normally on the ground, but test it for yourself, its fairly easy even in training mode. just set the computer to "stop" and grab him.

I grabbed him with Marth, no button mashing and he air released. Character specific imo?

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
The air release depends on the character. Marth for example can force Wario to air release , but Samus CAN'T force Wario an air release, and Wario has a normal ground release. If Samus wants Wario to air release, Wario either must press jump or up on the control stick, which Wario mainers won't do if they expect an air release force, or grab Wario on the edge. Otherwise Wario can ground break 100% of the time, even if you don't pummel right before he escapes.

ZeroL

Smash Apprentice
The air release depends on the character. Marth for example can force Wario to air release , but Samus CAN'T force Wario an air release, and Wario has a normal ground release. If Samus wants Wario to air release, Wario either must press jump or up on the control stick, which Wario mainers won't do if they expect an air release force, or grab Wario on the edge. Otherwise Wario can ground break 100% of the time, even if you don't pummel right before he escapes.
Most Warios tend to bash to get out of a grab, and bashing mostly means pressing all buttons. So there is like a 50% change he will air-release without knowing.

EDIT: Hell no, Warios never air release on purpose. NEVER! I have no idea what I was thinking when I said that =(.

Xyro77

Unity Ruleset Committee Member
Guys, samus does not have a legit GR or IG on wario. LOL come on now.

smashkng

Smash Lord
NNID
Smashsk
3DS FC
0318-7423-9293
Grabbing Wario in the in the edge with Samus would be extremely situational, because grabbing Wario is difficult, but grab him in the edge is way harder, plus to cripple it even more Samus' grab is so slow.

Xyro77

Samus might be able to buffer a running grab at the edge, because Wario always auto air-releases at the edge...
Trust me. Get anyone of your friends to pick wario and just mash jump once he is air released. he cannot be hit or grabbed out of his air release.

LanceStern

Smash Lord
He can definitely be hit by any of these out of air release:

Nair, Dair, Bair, Fair, Uair, Utilt, Fsmash (tilted up), Ftilt (tilted up), Full Plasma shot and dtilt if he doesn't mash.

But trying to mash jump has gotten me footstooled 90% of the time. Guess it might not be a chain grab. Sadness consumes me :(

Xyro77

He can definitely be hit by any of these out of air release:

Nair, Dair, Bair, Fair, Uair, Utilt, Fsmash (tilted up), Ftilt (tilted up), Full Plasma shot and dtilt if he doesn't mash.
Video of a real samus vs a real wario. I have never ever seen this before.

ZeroL

Smash Apprentice
Are you kidding me? Those air releases are GUARANTEED. There's nothing he can do it doesn't matter if he is pro or not.
I'm sorry, but no! Go into training mode and set the Wario on stop, grab him and he will be ground released... Good Warios know this and will not do anything when they get grabbed. I asked several Wario mains.

-Cross-

Smash Ace
I think Lance is saying if they do air release than the moves are guaranteed. Of course, dtilt shouldn't be mentioned because it says if they do not mash which is not happening. Also dtilt won't be as effective a killer as other moves because of Wario's weight and FF speed.

LanceStern

Smash Lord
I think Lance is saying if they do air release than the moves are guaranteed. Of course, dtilt shouldn't be mentioned because it says if they do not mash which is not happening. Also dtilt won't be as effective a killer as other moves because of Wario's weight and FF speed.
Yes that's what I meant.

Xyro you can do it yourself. Just grab Wario at high percents. Have someone mash jump with him, and when you release him as samus use either: nair, uair, fair, bair, utilt, ftilt, fsmash, usmash, full plasma shot, dair they are 100% to happen. Bair takes frame perfect timing it should be mentioned

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
Grab and pummel him once

see if he air releases

I just want to see if this works 100% of the time because IIRC it's supposed to work like this

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Close this thread, you guys are worthless. Reasons have been given, allow me to give a lay-out so that you will never ever make this mistake again (I don't care if anything has been said before):

- You won't grab Wario in the first place (Irrelevant? Yes, I don't care).
- If you grab him in a normal situation he will only air release if you do not pummel and he mashes in a ********, non-Wario-like fashion (if he airbreaks then you're playing against a fool anyway, go **** him in by other means).
- Wario will only be forced to air release if his feet dangle in the air, so yeah if you grab him at the ledge (haha will never happen) or on a slope then YES he will air release.
- Even if you grab Wario on the ledge he will easily be able to SDI your silly spike attempt.

Go ahead and see if that random Wario in your pool is actually a ******, if so then go ahead and apply impratical strategies of all sorts.

Now shame yourselves for assuming all sorts of stupid things, contemplate and think back if you ever want to be silly again. I will repeat my request:

Close this thread, you guys suck.

PS: Sorry for being rude (Courtesy it is, I'm not actually sorry).

edit: ZAAD you only asked me, it is good to know that my wealth of knowledge can be considered to be equal to the knowledge of several. At least you tested it, good boy.

xYoh

Smash Cadet
Speaking of samus's disjointed dash grab... I found out that you can dash grab bowser when he is at the very tip of the lower battlefield platforms and your on the other side.

Xyro77

Close this thread, you guys are worthless. Reasons have been given, allow me to give a lay-out so that you will never ever make this mistake again (I don't care if anything has been said before):

- You won't grab Wario in the first place (Irrelevant? Yes, I don't care).
- If you grab him in a normal situation he will only air release if you do not pummel and he mashes in a ********, non-Wario-like fashion (if he airbreaks then you're playing against a fool anyway, go **** him in by other means).
- Wario will only be forced to air release if his feet dangle in the air, so yeah if you grab him at the ledge (haha will never happen) or on a slope then YES he will air release.
- Even if you grab Wario on the ledge he will easily be able to SDI your silly spike attempt.

Go ahead and see if that random Wario in your pool is actually a ******, if so then go ahead and apply impratical strategies of all sorts.

Now shame yourselves for assuming all sorts of stupid things, contemplate and think back if you ever want to be silly again. I will repeat my request:

Close this thread, you guys suck.

PS: Sorry for being rude (Courtesy it is, I'm not actually sorry).

edit: ZAAD you only asked me, it is good to know that my wealth of knowledge can be considered to be equal to the knowledge of several. At least you tested it, good boy.
I tried to tell them but they dont listen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom