• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

hard time killing people

HK_Spadez

(@'o')=@ t('o't)
Hey guys. Right now the main way i've found to kill ppl is just fsmashes and the occasional ken combo ( but its not that consistent. )

Any tips for different kill methods in different situations to kill in PM? Against better players im finding it really hard to land a f smash and with some of the cast their recovery is so good that simple edgeguarding just doesnt work.

any tips or a list of good kill options for marth?

Foxy K

Smash Journeyman
NNID
foxy_k
I'm not a Marth player but I noticed this and I'm pretty sure I know the answer, so any actual Marth players feel free to correct me.

The tricky part of Marth is knowing what will work at what percents, and finishing decisively. If you let your opponent get too high on damage, you can no longer combo them, but they will also survive your finishers (namely fsmash) for a decent while. That means you have to combo into a kill early, or you'll find yourself in the aforementioned situation.

He seems pretty good at edgeguarding though, so just getting them offstage means you're in a good position regardless of anything I said above. With his reach, speed, and floatiness, he has an answer for pretty much any character's recovery.

If you have any questions about beating specific character's recoveries, shoot. I'll try to answer but we should probably get an actual Marth player in here.

Charby

Smash Journeyman
At low percentage : gimp
At mid percentage : comboes, tippers
At high percentage : sideb>utilt 150 at least
At very high percentage : upthrow

Short: Marth has a sword. Put it between them and the ability to get back to the stage. Doesn't matter if someone survives until 200% where an uthrow finally finishes them off. If you keep denying them the ability to get back to the stage they are as good as dead without the need for an actual hit with a strong enough KO move to hit them all the way into the blast zone. Take Marth vs Marth. If you get one Dtilt on Marth at the ledge (say marth mispaced his UpB to the ledge), then its strong enough to prevent him from making it back after like 30% or something.

The game is to get stocks. You get stocks by have them hit the blast zones. This is accomplished by either hitting people far enough away they cannot get back or hitting so hard they get hit into the blast zone. Marth thrives on the former, but he does have the occasional opportunity to KO someone out right (tipper fsmash or Dair).

So, go for your "finisher" if the opportunity presents itself to you. Otherwise just work at denying them back to the stage.

Last edited:
Top Bottom