• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

HELP SHFFL FAIR

Ben Hicks

Smash Rookie
I am trying to learn how to SHFFL. I see the Clacker/briefcase/credit card come out, but it does not land. It's like it just goes through the opponent. I can short hop fast fast consistently across the map, I have that part down. Any tips on adding the attack and cancel in? When to cancel ect. Anyone have Vid of game and watch SHFFL? I feel like I get block grabbed on my Fair a lot by decent players, just trying to add some tech in there.

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
well.. if its going through your opponent then i think you were probably out of range. Its a pretty big hitbox and shouldnt be too difficult to connect with. As far as te SHFFLing goes, im not sure how familiar you are with L cancelling, but you have to do that. Press the shield button within 7 frames (thats 7/60 of a second) of hitting the ground to cut your landing lag in half. As far as getting punished with fair goes, you are going to be punished a lot by using it unless you space it on shield (which it is actually very good at doing). technically, based on the shieldstun data, GW can SHFFL a fair onto a shield, and have enough time to do a spot dodge, up b, or dash attack and avoid getting shield grabbed. however, that assumes you landed right after the attack connected, and did a perfect SHFFL, which is very hard to do well with GWs fair (since it comes from above, lots of hitlag, and his fast fall speed isnt that great).

my advice, use bair, dair, and uair for shield pressure. They have landing hitboxes, and you can connect with an up b right afterwards to keep yourself safe/start combos. you can space a fair on shield, but if you get to close, your are going to get shield grabbed unless you are facing ZSS or you are m2k, the later of which is extremely unlikely. you can find videos of how to SHFFL on youtube, i would recommend just going into training mode and practicing your L canceling.

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
If you are shffling but not getting at hitbox it means the hitbox hasn't come out yet. Just delay your fast fall. Remember: fair is pretty slow.

Fair is unsafe on shield. But if they are shielding you it means that they aren't scared of your options. You are probably playing too aggressively. And, coupled with the fact that you shffl too fast, I assume you are pressing too many buttons and attacking more than you should be. Movement is good, pressure is good, but sometimes a little delay is all it takes to make the other guy choke.

Try these things:
RAR bair: bair is much safter on shield and is an easy combo starter.
Up-B escape: Up-B is, in some ways, G&W's safety switch.With a hitbox that comes out on frame 1 along with its great mobility you can escape punishes and create advantages.
T. Hawk'em: It's high-risk, but if they put up the bubble frequently the best punishment is to not attack at all and just come in with a grab.
Cross them up: Once again if they respect you enough to be waiting around for your attack then take the positional advantage.

Lastly: Don't make a new thread. This conversation belongs in the general discussion thread.

Ben Hicks

Smash Rookie
If you are shffling but not getting at hitbox it means the hitbox hasn't come out yet. Just delay your fast fall. Remember: fair is pretty slow.

Fair is unsafe on shield. But if they are shielding you it means that they aren't scared of your options. You are probably playing too aggressively. And, coupled with the fact that you shffl too fast, I assume you are pressing too many buttons and attacking more than you should be. Movement is good, pressure is good, but sometimes a little delay is all it takes to make the other guy choke.

Try these things:
Up-B escape: Up-B is, in some ways, G&W's safety switch.With a hitbox that comes out on frame 1 along with its great mobility you can escape punishes and create advantages.
T. Hawk'em: It's high-risk, but if they put up the bubble frequently the best punishment is to not attack at all and just come in with a grab.
Cross them up: Once again if they respect you enough to be waiting around for your attack then take the positional advantage.

Lastly: Don't make a new thread. This conversation belongs in the general discussion thread.

10-4 Sorry about making the thread, I think i am pressing L during my fast fall and I am initiating an air dodge or something. Clacker comes out, then gdubs flashes (clacker still out) and it doesn't connect. I am going to practice the RAR. New to tech play, new to smash altogether really, but I pick things up quickly. I will stay in the gen discussion from hence forward.

Ben Hicks

Smash Rookie

Try these things:

I got the RAR down pat. I appreciate the tip. So do I L cancel before touch down, or after?

Metmetm3t

Smash Lord
I don't think a character specific subforum is the right place for you to learn game mechanics. Not everyone actually knows the specific details of how these techniques work and someone is GOING to be wrong and tell you the incorrect thing, and then you'll be wrong as well.

In this case I can tell you that L-canceling has to be inputted during the 7 frames BEFORE you land.

For further questions check out ssbwiki It's surprisingly detailed and is far less likely to contain misinformation. It covers all the advanced techniques you could care to learn.

Come back here when you have questions about strategy or tactics. A real person on a forum will be able to give you an experienced perspective on how to approach real opponents in a given situation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom