• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help With Edgeguarding Fox

Spheal37

Smash Rookie
NNID
Spheal37
As a player, I love using Yoshi's edge game to gimp and get early percent deaths. In some matchups, such as Luigi and Falco, the majority of my kills come from early percent gimps due to their weak recovery. However Fox is one of the hardest matchups for me because I struggle with punishing his recovery options, specifically the firefox (up B). If he does the illusion (Forward B), I can usually either grab the ledge first if he aims for it or punish with a nair or Egg and finish him off. However the Firefox seems to out prioritize most of Yoshis moves except for Forward Smash, which is only viable if Fox is heading straight towards you. The only way I am able to get the early percent deaths is if the fox is close enough to where I can use a Meteor smash, however that doesn't happen too much against good foxes.What are some good methods and things to keep in mind when fox is off stage, as he gives me a lot of trouble in an area where I can usually secure a stock. Thanks.

DD151

Smash Journeyman
Don't bother. Fox is too good.

You're not going to intercept him recovering above the stage unless you hard read his recovery, which is super risky because if you read incorrectly and he side-Bs, not only do you drop the edgeguard, but Fox will have the stage and you'll be off the edge.

Best bet in my opinion is to pre-emptively throw an egg where you think he's going to up-B if he's above the plane of the stage and you have ample time. You don't want to throw an egg and then not be able to cover a side-B.

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
aMSa does some neat stuff with edgecanceling an egg out towards them to hit a firefox while renewing the invincibility frames to stop a side-b.

Top Bottom