• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with Falco shining?

Jaymoney

Smash Rookie
Im really bad with shining as Falco, anyone have tips on cancelling shines/shine techniques/anything?

Specifically how to use it in combo's and pressuring

Lizalfos

Smash Master
Timings are different when hitting an opponent. You should just put your thumb between the Y, B, and A buttons. To multishine just try to alternate your thumb between Y and B as fast as you can. With a little practice you'll figure the timings out.

Lizalfos

Smash Master
^this

Except don't start with C. Falcon, practice on whichever character you have the most trouble with/is most popular in your region.

Jaymoney

Smash Rookie
Learn the timing for when you jump out of a shine. If you do it too soon or too late, it won't work. So learn the timing, then you can jump out of it, wavedash out of it, grab out of it(jump canceled grab), shine out of it(jump canceled shine).

Combos... different things work on different characters. To start out, do this. Pick Captain Falcon for the cpu, from zero, shffl dair>shine>wavedash
Do this three times(then reset the cpu percentage). Once you get used to that, account for DI. Then get used to different characters like Marth, Sheik, and the others... etc.

For shield pressure, there's a couple of ways you can go about this.
First, know this. There's a difference in timing for when you don't hit anything with an aerial, hit someone with an aerial, or hit his shield with an aerial. I suggest you learn it visually instead of relying on timing.

You can SHFFL dair>Shine>SHFFL dair>shine
SHFFL dair>Shine>Grab out of shine
SHFFL dair >Shine>Waveshine
... etc

Just experiment. Remember, there's a difference between an early and a late dair. Figure out why. If you SHFFL an early dair to his shield, you might not be able to follow it up with a shine, he can shield grab you if he catches up to it.
Alright thanks. You helped a lot!

Jackson

Smash Lord
I don't quite get the grab out of shine thing. I know that you can JC grab from a shine, but doesnt the shine send the opponent way too far to grab afterwards?

Narpas_sword

I don't quite get the grab out of shine thing. I know that you can JC grab from a shine, but doesnt the shine send the opponent way too far to grab afterwards?
It's for shield pressure.

You Attack the shield. Shine to cover OOS options, then grab to counter them if they shield the shine.

It's like playing Rock Paper Scissors, but throwing out all 3 options while the enemy has their had out

Last edited:

Jackson

Smash Lord
It's for shield pressure.

You Attack the shield. Shine to cover OOS options, then grab to counter them if they shield the shine.

It's like playing Rock Paper Scissors, but throwing out all 3 options while the enemy has their had out
Oh, okay thanks. So the grab is to counter any shielding.

Phaiyte

Smash Ace
Shine is honestly not even necessary a lot of the time for beginner / intermediate players. For a lot of things, Utilt works better than Shine does. If you have to worry about getting shield grabbed, fundamentally you shouldn't be landing directly in front of them anyways. Always aim for behind them when you can. Utilt has less knockback than Shine does. At 0% you can get like 4 Utilts on Falcon after a Dair, short hop dair again to cause them to be in knockdown status, and you can get free tech chases from there on out until they're dead. A lot of times you can proceed to kill them right then and there with an on-reaction Fsmash + edgegaurd.. If you don't react fast enough, fast fall laser grab almost always wins in that position. I don't even like using Shine that much anymore outside of plain ol' shield pressure or an "oh **** button" or stylin' multishines after a KO.

Top Bottom