• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Help with Zelda matchups?

Syntax Error

Smash Cadet
I seem to have difficulty fighting certain characters as Zelda, mainly the speed demons (fox, falcon...to a lesser extent marth and shiek). No matter what I try, against a good player I will feel like I am being completely overrun and don't have time to try anything. Therefore, I usually press down+b and try that instead (my shiek isn't too bad, but I consider her my secondary.)

What kind of approaches can you take against these characters? I find Marth can be baited into performing laggy moves and punished, for example, but it's rather risky to try on a good Marth as they won't be baited so easily. If anyone can suggest tips on how to get around this (without pressing down+b...), it would be greatly appreciated.

Secondly, what stages are good counterpicks to use as Zelda in general? DL64 or Yoshi's Story would make sense (depending on whether you would want to prioritise on survival or not), but is there any stage I'm overlooking?

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Bait them into doing something dumb, then kick them. Sure, it's not easy to bait a good player into doing something dumb, but that's part of what makes them good players. Make sure you don't do anything dumb either.

Syntax Error

Smash Cadet
Yeah, that's why I say it's not as bad when I play a Marth or a Shiek, as they're a little more predictable (Marths will shffl nair or fair approach, or try to get a grab/smash in...and most Shieks are needles/tilts/fairs...most of the good players I know will do something along those lines.). When I know how they play I can start to figure out what to expect, but I'm not that good at picking it up from playing someone just once or twice. Instead what usually happens is I get butchered and switch to Shiek just to get the speed I direly need.

Trying to make good foxes or falcons do something dumb is hard, even harder when you know that even if you do, the window will be minute due to their speed. To say it's somewhat discouraging is an understatement. There has to be some way to compete with them, right?

darkatma

Smash Hero
I find sheik to be the most difficult to fight because everything of hers/his outprioritizes zelda's moves. When i say outprioritizes, i mean at zelda's angle of approach. Zelda's main approach is downward diagonally from the air, or upwards diagonally. Sheik counters both because her attacks both come out faster and hit at those specific spots.

Against fox and falco however, their attacks don't counter the angle of approach, so the main thing is to be careful to approach at the right angle, and avoid the upsmash for fox. you have to be much more careful because fox and falco's speeds are much faster.

The only thing i can give you for fighting the higher tiers is to approach wisely. make sure you l cancel everything, and don't be afraid to use your quicker attacks, particularly ftilt, dtilt(esp for marth, dtilt into fsmash works well), dsmash(fastest smash attack, it even clanks with marth's fsmash), and fsmash(good range and knockback. Make sure you're using version 1.0

Also, if the opponent likes coming from above, the simple usmash out of shield is an awesome attack. It can chain if they don't DI, and always leads to at least 1 follow up. Nair can be used in these battles.

One last thing is airdodge. Use copious amounts of airdodge, but don't leave yourself vulnerable. Triangle dashing and other forms of airdodge, particularly if the opponent is in the air work quite well.

Don't use nayru's too much, it lags like hell..

I'll come up with more stuff later.

Syntax Error

Smash Cadet
Version 1.0? I suppose that would be the NTSC version?

If so, I have a PAL version of the game.

Thanks for the pointers, though. Will give me something to try out :) (Didn't think of upsmash out of shield...they'd have to be real close though no?)

Top Bottom