• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I deal with this weight?

Geezus92

Smash Rookie
Sup community,

I'm new to smash and am trying to learn how to play as Wolf. One of the main problems I'm having is his weight. It seems many times I get nudged off the edge by someone and end up falling to death before I can do any move. Maybe I'm too noob to know exactly what to do. Like I'm sitting on the side, get pushed, and end up falling and dead in like .5 seconds. Also a lot of times when I'm knocked up, gettin' tossed, I can never seem to cancel out of it or something, just floatin and tumblin in the air. Is there a way to gain better control of that or can all I do is alter the trajectory by DIng or whatever?

SSS

Smash Ace
Sup community,

I'm new to smash and am trying to learn how to play as Wolf. One of the main problems I'm having is his weight. It seems many times I get nudged off the edge by someone and end up falling to death before I can do any move. Maybe I'm too noob to know exactly what to do. Like I'm sitting on the side, get pushed, and end up falling and dead in like .5 seconds. Also a lot of times when I'm knocked up, gettin' tossed, I can never seem to cancel out of it or something, just floatin and tumblin in the air. Is there a way to gain better control of that or can all I do is alter the trajectory by DIng or whatever?
When you're getting tossed in the air that's just Wolf being a fastfaller and getting comboed hardcore. You can try to drift left or right (DI) by holding the direction, and mashing jump (for now until you learn how to respond better and get used to escaping combos) so that Wolf will jump as soon as he is out of hitstun. As for getting pushed off, you just have to have fast enough reactions to be able to jump before you're dead. You might be pressing jump too soon, when you're still getting pushed off, and the input doesn't register.

Wolf is a pretty tough and technical character in Project M. While it might be easier to learn the basics with another character, a spacie (like Fox, Falco, and now Wolf) really teach you how to best understand this game at a technical level. I moved from Brawl to Melee, and I picked up Falco, one of the hardest characters. This opened up a world of complexity to me, and I loved it, and wouldn't want anybody simpler (like Puff).

Bakasama

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, you get the advantage and disadvantage of that weight. If you're getting combo'd, the best thing you can do is try to DI out of it. I suggest you check the melee tutorial threads on this site, all the general ones apply to P:M, then come back to Wolf. Part of Wolf's strength of his weight is his ability to short hop consistently lower than the other two Starfox members, so take advantage of that to repeatedly shine the opponent for spacing needs, and also learn to short-hop, pop a low laser blast, and wavedash back, because Wolf can wavedash immediately after a shot leaves the gun.

Top Bottom