• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I escape Pichu's UpB into Thunder efficently?

kingbooforums

Smash Apprentice
I've only been playing competitively for a year. Or at least trying to take the game more seriously. So please excuse me if I sound like a noob with my terminology or if I get anything wrong. My friend plays Pichu and he keeps grabbing and upthrowing me and then does Thunder. I can't really seem to do much. Bowser's airdodge sucks. I've been told I can SDI out of it with aerial drift, i've got this to work maybe once but I'm not really sure if I get how it works. Are you suppose to tilt the stick in the direction you wanna go as Pichu grabs you or when he throws you? and what is the best way to SDI that attack? I've heard you should move in the direction Pichu is facing? or maybe it was the opposite I can't remember..

Metso

Smash Rookie
I've only been playing competitively for a year. Or at least trying to take the game more seriously. So please excuse me if I sound like a noob with my terminology or if I get anything wrong. My friend plays Pichu and he keeps grabbing and upthrowing me and then does Thunder. I can't really seem to do much. Bowser's airdodge sucks. I've been told I can SDI out of it with aerial drift, i've got this to work maybe once but I'm not really sure if I get how it works. Are you suppose to tilt the stick in the direction you wanna go as Pichu grabs you or when he throws you? and what is the best way to SDI that attack? I've heard you should move in the direction Pichu is facing? or maybe it was the opposite I can't remember..
Iirc, Pichu's upthrow sends you straight upwards, so you can only DI to the left or right. DI lets you influence a bit where you're sent flying by an attack/throw, and in order to do so, you just need to be holding the stick in the direction you want when the attack hits you (no need to worry about the timing). DI doesn't allow you to escape combos for free (even worse in Bowser's case since his hurtbox it's big and his disadvantatge state is horrible), but rather to create a mixup between DI to the left, to the right, or even not doing any DI at all if you've made your opponent get used to one direction or another. I would recommend you to watch some video that explains how it exactly works (in Izaw's youtube channel, for example). I hope this helped you, even if just a little.

kingbooforums

Smash Apprentice
Iirc, Pichu's upthrow sends you straight upwards, so you can only DI to the left or right. DI lets you influence a bit where you're sent flying by an attack/throw, and in order to do so, you just need to be holding the stick in the direction you want when the attack hits you (no need to worry about the timing). DI doesn't allow you to escape combos for free (even worse in Bowser's case since his hurtbox it's big and his disadvantatge state is horrible), but rather to create a mixup between DI to the left, to the right, or even not doing any DI at all if you've made your opponent get used to one direction or another. I would recommend you to watch some video that explains how it exactly works (in Izaw's youtube channel, for example). I hope this helped you, even if just a little.

When the attacks hits me, so when I am already in the air and thunder is coming down or when Pichu grabs me?

Metso

Smash Rookie
When the attacks hits me, so when I am already in the air and thunder is coming down or when Pichu grabs me?
You just need to be tilting the stick when an attack or throw hits you, so you can tilt the stick right when Pichu grabs you if you anticipate the throw that Pichu is going to use (in this case, upthrow). The point is, whenever you're sent frlying by an attack or a throw, you can influence the direction you're sent. In your case, you can DI the upthrow to the left or right and, if Pichu reacts to your DI and connects his down-b, you then can DI that attack; as long as you're tilting the stick when a move that sends you flying (attack, throw or even items) hits you, it will work, regardless of timing (just make sure to be tilting the stick before or right when the attack hits you).

Top Bottom