• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How do I start a combo without a grab?

M1`

Smash Rookie
So I entered KTAR over the weekend just for fun. Didn't expect to get far, but I did much worse than I expected. I didn't win a set. I did pretty well my first match and just lost because I don't understand character match ups (that's a separate problem), and my second match I got completely destroyed. My problem is I don't really know what to do if I can't get a grab off. Basically, if my opponent is not in the air, I don't know how to get a whole bunch of damage off. I just kinda dash attack and try to stun to make the grab easier to get. Any tips?

BatShark

Smash Apprentice
Space around with SH NAirs, Dsmash, pivot Dsmash, Zair which can directly lead into grab at low enough %s.

free33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Intelctmeatbal
Nair leads into so many things. dsmash, grab, Dash attack, Ftilt, Dtilt, Down B (spike maybe), Fair, RAR Bair, Uair-Uair-Up B, Zair.
Zair leads into grabs and Dash attacks.
Dsmash should lead into a short hop Nair to extend the combo.

Also, if ZSS's lack of neutral is not for you, maybe pick up a secondary with a strong neutral?

http://smashboards.com/guides/full-guide-to-everything-zero-suit-samus.602/

Here is my guide for ZSS. Maybe you could take a look at the combo section and the followups of certain moves. Good luck!

apparently fuz

legendary doesn't fit me.
NNID
googlemynumber
3DS FC
1908-0730-5856
Dunno why people think ZSS' neutral is lacking when spaced n-air, b-air and u-air jab 1 is pretty damn safe....

BatShark

Smash Apprentice
Dunno why people think ZSS' neutral is lacking when spaced n-air, b-air and u-air jab 1 is pretty damn safe....
Lack of a solid OOS aerial and a grab that requires some sort of trap, read, or mistake on the part of the opponent. Can be forced to approach in almost all MUs where the opponent has a projectile.

AstroCRiS

Smash Cadet
Here is my guide for ZSS. Maybe you could take a look at the combo section and the followups of certain moves. Good luck!
Meaning to reply to your guide. Very well done. I have a huge list of combos and strings but you still managed to put them in there without taking of too much space so kudos to you. But I heavily suggest Mario as a secondary to all my Zss brethren, how come you didn't put him on your secondary list bro? :C

free33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Intelctmeatbal
Meaning to reply to your guide. Very well done. I have a huge list of combos and strings but you still managed to put them in there without taking of too much space so kudos to you. But I heavily suggest Mario as a secondary to all my Zss brethren, how come you didn't put him on your secondary list bro? :C
Haha! Thank you! I wrote that part on a red eye with a previous 3 hours of sleep:) you're right, I should put Mario there.

Top Bottom