• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How good can I try to get without attending tournaments?

Courageous Baka

Smash Apprentice
I really cannot attend tournaments as much as others in my region or online because of other priorities, as well as expenses and me not not wanting to embarrass myself in front of people again. I want to be able to play well, learn all my matchups, and become capable of going toe-to-toe with some of the best in my region without looking stupid or worthless. People tell me that my playstyle is very reactionary. Is this possible to hone in an online setting? Is there any way I can improve at the same rates as people who attend tournaments offline or online, and just play online friendlies?

If the contents of this question and/or thread make me come off as stupid, foolish, egotistical, narcissistic, naïve, dumb, childish, immature, selfish, arrogant, idiotic, worthless, insensitive, or any other flaw that could be applied, I am very sorry. Please forgive me for what I did wrong if you find I did.

Last edited:

A_Kae

Smash Ace
It's harder, for sure. Regularly attending locals is really the best way to improve. But that's not always feasible for everyone. I definitely get that.

I'm not totally clear on your goals though, but I'm assuming you mean to try to improve online so you can to offline tournaments when you can and make a good showing of yourself? I think that's possible.

It's important to do it "right", though. "No rematch/best of 1" on quickplay is a poor way of improvement and will tend to lead you into some bad tendencies. Extended sessions with a group of like-minded players is much much better, even if it has to be online. It can be hard to find that, unfortunately, and it seems like you might be struggling with the "mental" aspect of it, too. I mean struggling with not wanting to "look stupid" like you said. I get that too. Sometimes in competition our opponents can be needlessly abrasive and try to put you down. That can be hard to deal with if you can't find more friendly people to play with. But hopefully you can find better people or maybe you already have.

Reactionary playstyle, online gets worse and harder to execute effectively compared to offline. Increased input delay changes how you do that and can lead to habits that don't work well offline. But I think if you understand how it all works you can make do. That's how online stuff is in general. Can lead you to bad stuff that won't work well offline.

Getting active and specific feedback on what you're doing wrong as well as right is really important and that's why a consistent group is key because that's where you get that from.

Sort of ramble here, maybe some of that helps a bit?

Edit: I guess one thing I want to stress here is that being "bad" or "failing" or whatever is fine and normal. There's no shame in it, it happens to everyone. Don't be too hard on yourself, yeah?

Last edited:

Courageous Baka

Smash Apprentice
It's harder, for sure. Regularly attending locals is really the best way to improve. But that's not always feasible for everyone. I definitely get that.

I'm not totally clear on your goals though, but I'm assuming you mean to try to improve online so you can to offline tournaments when you can and make a good showing of yourself? I think that's possible.

It's important to do it "right", though. "No rematch/best of 1" on quickplay is a poor way of improvement and will tend to lead you into some bad tendencies. Extended sessions with a group of like-minded players is much much better, even if it has to be online. It can be hard to find that, unfortunately, and it seems like you might be struggling with the "mental" aspect of it, too. I mean struggling with not wanting to "look stupid" like you said. I get that too. Sometimes in competition our opponents can be needlessly abrasive and try to put you down. That can be hard to deal with if you can't find more friendly people to play with. But hopefully you can find better people or maybe you already have.

Reactionary playstyle, online gets worse and harder to execute effectively compared to offline. Increased input delay changes how you do that and can lead to habits that don't work well offline. But I think if you understand how it all works you can make do. That's how online stuff is in general. Can lead you to bad stuff that won't work well offline.

Getting active and specific feedback on what you're doing wrong as well as right is really important and that's why a consistent group is key because that's where you get that from.

Sort of ramble here, maybe some of that helps a bit?

Edit: I guess one thing I want to stress here is that being "bad" or "failing" or whatever is fine and normal. There's no shame in it, it happens to everyone. Don't be too hard on yourself, yeah?
I think it does help. Thank you.

Courageous Baka

Smash Apprentice
Not sure if this will be seen, but....

What would you expect someone to be like if they are serious about improvement and practice? Trying to prove I'm not, or at least can strive to not be, lazy or stupid.

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
What would you expect someone to be like if they are serious about improvement and practice? Trying to prove I'm not, or at least can strive to not be, lazy or stupid.
Kind of an odd question tbh. Do you mean like the general training regiment and stuff?

Well, once you've got a character, get comfortable with their movement and attacks, know what does what I mean. Then learn your bread and butters, and then just play a bunch honestly. I'd recommend joining a Discord server of other grinders because they'll generally be nicer than those on Elite Smash and will have better internet connections as well (for the most part). And just play and have fun - the cool thing about Ultimate is that you really don't need to know much other than fundies, a character, and their combos, in order to be good enough to beat your friends.

Now if we're talking tournaments, just make sure you can go to one at least every once in a while, every two or three months is a decent goal to have, but I've gone a year without tournaments and didn't drop much, so it all depends on your circumstances lol. Then just be attentive, watch how people play and that kind of thing. You don't even have to play in the actual bracket if it's a money or tournament nerves thing, just play friendlies and have fun if you like. Again, whatever works for you!

Courageous Baka

Smash Apprentice
Kind of an odd question tbh. Do you mean like the general training regiment and stuff?

Well, once you've got a character, get comfortable with their movement and attacks, know what does what I mean. Then learn your bread and butters, and then just play a bunch honestly. I'd recommend joining a Discord server of other grinders because they'll generally be nicer than those on Elite Smash and will have better internet connections as well (for the most part). And just play and have fun - the cool thing about Ultimate is that you really don't need to know much other than fundies, a character, and their combos, in order to be good enough to beat your friends.

Now if we're talking tournaments, just make sure you can go to one at least every once in a while, every two or three months is a decent goal to have, but I've gone a year without tournaments and didn't drop much, so it all depends on your circumstances lol. Then just be attentive, watch how people play and that kind of thing. You don't even have to play in the actual bracket if it's a money or tournament nerves thing, just play friendlies and have fun if you like. Again, whatever works for you!
I don't really care about having fun that much if it's a strictly worse version of what most people expect, are used to, and are capable of.

I guess it's the way everyone practices on a higher level. Trying to prove I am capable of the same work as they are. I've been playing since 2019, but still wonder if I haven't matched people in methods of preparation.

Thank you for responding.

Last edited:

Courageous Baka

Smash Apprentice
I don't really care about having fun that much if it's a strictly worse version of what most people expect, are used to, and are capable of.

I guess it's the way everyone practices on a higher level. Trying to prove I am capable of the same work as they are. I've been playing since 2019, but still wonder if I haven't matched people in methods of preparation yet despite what I try to do.

Thank you for responding.

Courageous Baka

Smash Apprentice
I'm very sorry. This was an accident. This was an accident. I did not mean to quote my own message and flood the thread by even the most miniscule amount. Please forgive me if I did something bad here or came off as lazy, stupid, dumb, or foolish, immature, or conceited. I promise this is the truth. I promise this is the truth. Please believe me.

Last edited:
Top Bottom