• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How Hard is Learning Pit?

Hakkat

Smash Apprentice
How hard is learning Pit at a competitive or Semi-competitive level (you can use ATs but aren't very competitive in terms of participating in tourneys, etc.)?

My friend is going to main Pit and I was wondering how hard he is?

Hakkat

Smash Apprentice
It's probably because of arrow curving/looping. It's hard to do on the spot.

Hakkat

Smash Apprentice
Oh lol. True i have never really thought of a reason you would need it. Unless you wanna show off :p

Vixen

~::Fragile::~
Premium
Pit has mediocre range, finicky moves, close to zero good options at low percent, and a few fairly difficult match ups. Those being the main reasons why pit can be difficult to play.

Sent from my SPH-L300 using Tapatalk 2

Hakkat

Smash Apprentice
Oh, I always felt his jab combo could rack up damage at low percents. I am probably wrong though as I don't play Pit.

tripp6313

Smash Apprentice
i would assume proper DI on the jab combo would be easy enough to get out of the jab combo... I'm not certain on this because i've just recently picked up pit and i'm the only one in my group who plays him.

Hakkat

Smash Apprentice
i would assume proper DI on the jab combo would be easy enough to get out of the jab combo... I'm not certain on this because i've just recently picked up pit and i'm the only one in my group who plays him.

Ahh k, I've only used Pit a couple times and don't play him. Just wondering for my friend.

Pit's p fast

Huh?

tripp6313

Smash Apprentice
yea... the only thing i find is trying to figure out how to approach and stay... i'm finding it difficult because this character seems to be a juggler... only problem is his air game is driving me insane because it seems to be easily cancelled... I could only really say for your friend is to sit there and take time learning this character over several weeks before going to far with it... he's definitely a character that will be a lot of training however a lot of reward to him from what i see.... so yea its a dedication type of event for him i'm noticing more and more... however it seems the better the character is will be determined by the amount of dedication you directed to him/her[/quote]

QraQ

Smash Ace
Pit has a lot going for him imo. He's fast and has many moves that compliment follow-ups: dair, nair, uair, dtilt, utilt, usmash.
He has some rough matchups, especially against characters who can beat him in long range battles.
His blunt killing potential isn't great, he really just outperforms most with his off-edge edge-guard game.
I think arrow looping is only viable if you can structure the movement of the arrow while approaching/comboing.
His jab game is one of the best imo.

Hope it helps.

ToTs

Smash Artist
NNID
x_ToTs_x
I just started playing Pit, even tho falcon is my main. I feel like most of his aerials can be Shffl into grab combos. Just as I do with falcon Uair. You do them really low to the ground. I like him, plus his gimping ability is superb IMO.

Dreamer_

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3496-9337-7244
I picked up Pit about a week ago cuz I really like his personality from Kid Icarus: Uprising (yeah I know stupid reason :p) and he is definitely a little tricky at first but once you get the hang of him, he's a lot of fun it just takes a lot of practice. For me I usually just use the arrows to allow me to move in or attack from a distance then I use his side b to get in quick. The good thing about his side b is that you can jump out of it. So if you use side b and jump out of it you can use it again then jump out of it again then proceed to use up the remaining jump you have left. also if you press Z I believe during his side b (I use classic pro so I'm making a random guess here) pit will use the glide attack he used in brawl. I don't want to take up anymore of your time so uh I'll just go. Hope this helps :D

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I think the only really tricky part about learning about Pit is properly utilizing the Palutena's Arrow, being able to time with Mirror Shield, and being able to use Wings of Icarus to properly approach. He's not brutally hard to master, but I will say that because of the properties of some of his attacks, you kind of have to get used to his varies quirks just like any other character. His Project M incarnation in particular is kind of similar to playing Roy in Melee in some ways in terms of move properties, but at the same time you shouldn't treat the characters as one in the same regardless.

foxygrandpa

Smash Journeyman
I played shiek in melee, and still play her. I think pit plays kind of similarly. The down grab is insane, he has great edgeguards, tech chases, and obnoxious projectiles. He has major problems attacking shield though, and killing at lower percents. Overall, he was pretty easy to learn for me, but this might be be because I was already experienced with the playstyle.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I don't really play as Sheik (Ironically I play as Zelda more), when it came to Pit it was simply learning about the properties of his playstyle and moves and building strategies around them. I will say that because of the revamping of his move set, he's generally more offensive based then defensive based like his Brawl incarnation. Though since I'm already used to offensive based characters like Captain Falcon and Marth, it was pretty easy to get into. I think when starting playing as his Project M incarnation, the only hiccup I've made occasionally is forgetting that Wings of Icarus being replaced by Shield Bash and causing me to SD because of it. Aside from that, it was more or less a natural transition.

Russy

Russydorf of Cincy
As someone who has recently started maining pit, I cannot stress enough the importance of being accurate with the offstage arrow gimps. If you can hit a shot 4 times out of 5, you'll be able to rack up alot of damage on a recovering opponent so even if they do manage to make it back, they arent going to last long anyway

Conti

Smash Ace
Been Playing/Maining Pit Since Day 1 of Brawl, in brawl he was Dtier and a terrible character competitively speaking, in P:M he is pretty good and underlooked, he's intermidate difficulty honestly, his arrows take alot of practice, he's short ranged but high rewards from landing hits, it depends on how you want to play pit, he's a defensive aggressor

CeLL

Smash Lord
Been Playing/Maining Pit Since Day 1 of Brawl, in brawl he was Dtier and a terrible character competitively speaking, in P:M he is pretty good and underlooked, he's intermidate difficulty honestly, his arrows take alot of practice, he's short ranged but high rewards from landing hits, it depends on how you want to play pit, he's a defensive aggressor
C-tier in America. A-tier in Japan.

TheFadedWarrior

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MortifiedPanda
It took me like 2 days to master Pit (and I'm pretty dang good with him). The only hard part is his arrows. I'm always just a few pixels off of hitting opponents. Go on Final Destination with a computer of your choice and practice Pit's side-special. It's an extremely good recovery, but you can also dive towards your opponents and slash them in the air. Pit's up-aerial is also extremely powerful, but easy to master (it's an aerial, you don't really need to practice at all). His up-special has a very small hitbox, but can be used as a launching attack. At 100+%, up-throw then up-special.

Red Rice

Smash Journeyman
It took me like 2 days to master Pit (and I'm pretty dang good with him). The only hard part is his arrows. I'm always just a few pixels off of hitting opponents. Go on Final Destination with a computer of your choice and practice Pit's side-special. It's an extremely good recovery, but you can also dive towards your opponents and slash them in the air. Pit's up-aerial is also extremely powerful, but easy to master (it's an aerial, you don't really need to practice at all). His up-special has a very small hitbox, but can be used as a launching attack. At 100+%, up-throw then up-special.
Until you're getting Armada-esque edgeguards and arrow strings I wouldn't say you've "mastered" Pit

CeLL

Smash Lord
Until you're getting Armada-esque edgeguards and arrow strings I wouldn't say you've "mastered" Pit
I don't even think Armada's mastered Pit. That would be like saying someone had Fox mastered in Melee back in 2005.

Also I'm pretty sure uthrow -> up-B isn't actually a combo. Uthrow has way too much ending lag and too much knockback.

Red Rice

Smash Journeyman
I don't even think Armada's mastered Pit. That would be like saying someone had Fox mastered in Melee back in 2005.

Also I'm pretty sure uthrow -> up-B isn't actually a combo. Uthrow has way too much ending lag and too much knockback.
Well, mastered in the sense that he's the best Pit player as of now, the closest to mastery.

And yeah, d-throw > aerial or d-throw up-b is generally a better option, depending on DI

Last edited:

Conti

Smash Ace
C-tier in America. A-tier in Japan.
Yeah xD i havent really checked recent tier lists (didnt notice there was a V8 Tier list [last time i checked he was D-Tier -.- ], and japans best pit still cant touch the top mks [to my knowledge but i stopped paying attention honestly for like 3years so if im wrong please inform me :D ]

CeLL

Smash Lord
Yeah xD i havent really checked recent tier lists (didnt notice there was a V8 Tier list [last time i checked he was D-Tier -.- ], and japans best pit still cant touch the top mks [to my knowledge but i stopped paying attention honestly for like 3years so if im wrong please inform me :D ]
Earth beat M2K once. It's not like Pit has a particularly bad matchup against MK like a lot of mid-tiers. Nair beats Nado :D

Liquid Brick

Smash Cadet
I got the edgeguards down, I just can't manage to hit anyone with arrows ;-;
If you can't hit anyone with arrows, your edge game isn't as top as it could be. Keep it up.

Against heavier characters, it fails to convert at any % Any time it works against Link or Ike is because your opponent let you hit them. Against lighter characters such as Fox, your throw is faster, and it works about half the time, % permitting. If a Fox is giving me trouble at like 105% and I get a grab, I'm more inclined to go U-Throw > Up-B as it works then, but at like 130% or more, D-Throw > Up-B is live, and is much less DI-based of a follow-up.

The small amount of characters it works on, and the specific % range needed to make U-Throw combo do NOT make it worth it. I'd use U-Throw only as a way to chaingrab fastfallers who catch on to the D-Throw chain, or as a way to force an opponent up onto a platform above, so you can Shark with U-Air.

Angrycuban

Smash Journeyman
PM is generally not too difficult of a game to learn, even fox (supposedly the hardest character technically) is pretty easy to play in PM. With that said i would put pit in the category of "more difficult to play than most", you need excellent spacing, lots of his moves have very small specific hit boxes for the desired reactions (Forward air and down air spike come to mind). Arrows take some practice to get good with and using glide as a movement option is also a little advanced. In general though its still PM so id say hes pretty easy to play technically, but if you struggle playing mario i wouldnt recommend pit.

Top Bottom