• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How I used 1P modes to help me get much better at this game

Cort

Apple Head
...I would advise this for people that just can't get to play good players often. Obviously, experience in vs mode against good competition will be much more beneficial, but 1P modes really REALLY helped motivate me to make my technical skill as smooth and refined as possible.

I mention 1P modes in my interview with MLG (http://www.mlgpro.com/?q=node/156621) as a way of trying to get more people interested in it. I also randomly play 1P modes at tournaments (sort of as a means of showing off, but mostly for the entertainment value it provides people that have never seen strategies at work)

Playing 1P modes and comparing my scores to other's has just really helped me understand SSBM at a much deeper level mostly in terms of technical aspects of the game. Technical skill is very important, then learning to apply it effectively in versus mode comes from the experience of playing in tournaments and good competition.

Anyway, I love the 1P mode community. Years ago it was centralized at GameFAQs (it still is, basically) but SmashVRs.com and it's forums have made it much more archived and easy to manage record lists...

So yeah... its also a great waste of time.

/inspiration

Stadium Mode has made many people better. (myself included) If it weren't for Target Test and Home Run Contest, I wouldn't be as good as I am in versus mode. I'm not saying this is the easy route to get good, because becoming good on Stadium is equally as hard (I don't care what anyone has to say about that. Stadium Mode players work just as hard as Versus Mode players. =p) as becoming good is versus. Each one can definitely lend a helping hand to the other. (marth1, JoeBushman, Cort, Calle and others)

I've personally learned how to control each character rather well (just to an acceptable leve. Nothing too crazy) by just using them for strategies to get lower scores. Many tricks are practiced here, too.

- Up B extending (Dr. Mario)
- Drop down Wavedash (Luigi)
- Flipper DI abuse (Bowser and Marth)
- Patience to work on something until you get it (Peach)
- Single jump, up-aimed attacks out of a single jump (Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Falcon and others)
- Perfectly aiming attacks (Link and Young Link)
- Amazing DI skill (Jigglypuff, Mario and Roy [newer strat])
- Good turn-around up B's (Roy)
- Awesome L cancel skill (Home Run Contest - Everyone)
- "SHFFL'ing" (Home Run Contest. It eases the transition to the real thing)

That's just the tip of the ice berg for things you can learn, practice and master in Stadium. Giving this name the "Stadium" name is appropriate, but I think it really should have been named "Training Mode." It certainly has trained many more than any mode labelled "Training Mode." What else can you learn just by playing a tiny mini-game? Only time can truly tell.

Random thought. I'm glad that the Stadium community is FINALLY less ignored. Even if it is years past its prime. =p

Nintendude

Smash Hero
A lot of really good stadium players pick up high level play extremely quickly when they start going to tournaments. That includes marth1, pkmvodka, Cort obviously, pyh189 (though he's never been to a tournament), and myself.

Cort

Apple Head
I never c-stick aerials except fastfallen uairs (very rarely used in BtT/HRC anyway, the only examples that come to mind is Marth/Jiggly HRC, and a few BtTs)

I can fair moving backwards very easily in vs mode without the c-stick. I think it's part of the way I trained my muscle memory by playing BtT/HRC first before getting involved in vs mode.

jacobrhcp

Smash Apprentice
Also JoeBushman is a great player in vs. mode, aside his general supergenius in stadium.

And stadium is a great way to measure yourselves against the best. I might have thought I was really good if it wasn't for stadium, where the record total of break the targets is about a minute faster than my own total, even after I tried really hard.

LinksDarkArrows

Smash Rookie

As long as you enjoyed what you are doing, it will never be a waste of time. =)

Anyways. Stadium Mode has made many people better. (myself included) If it weren't for Target Test and Home Run Contest, I wouldn't be as good as I am in versus mode. I'm not saying this is the easy route to get good, because becoming good on Stadium is equally as hard (I don't care what anyone has to say about that. Stadium Mode players work just as hard as Versus Mode players. =p) as becoming good is versus. Each one can definitely lend a helping hand to the other. (marth1, JoeBushman, Cort, Calle and others)

I've personally learned how to control each character rather well (just to an acceptable leve. Nothing too crazy) by just using them for strategies to get lower scores. Many tricks are practiced here, too.

- Single jump, up-aimed attacks out of a single jump (Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Falcon and others)

That's just the tip of the ice berg for things you can learn, practice and master in Stadium. Giving this name the "Stadium" name is appropriate, but I think it really should have been named "Training Mode." It certainly has trained many more than any mode labelled "Training Mode." What else can you learn just by playing a tiny mini-game? Only time can truly tell.

Random thought. I'm glad that the Stadium community is FINALLY less ignored. Even if it is years past its prime. =p

Cort

Apple Head
That was a great post, LDA. I'll edit it into my first post to make things a little easier.

Tipo mastr

Smash Lord
telling people that my name is pronouced "Typ
Stadium was my first need for L-cancelling. It also helped me learn to L-cancel all my attacks.

Overall, I think my tech skill is pretty good, which I definitely owe to HRC.

HRC is also the first real thing i've ever been able to apply myself to. After doing HRC, i find it easier to apply myself to other (more productive) things.

just as LDA said...peach hrc = patience.

well, HRC in general = patience

...=)

vull45

Smash Apprentice
I spent forever getting my targets under 5 min only to find out people getting around 3ish. talk about depressing, that then my data was erased

FluxWolf

Smash Lord
Usually whenever I practice now I do it in btt/hrc, mainly because it's pretty entertaining and it helps your speed and control and technical skill with your character at the same time as trying to achieve a totally different goal. So pretty much you get better without even trying to LOL, thats how I like to think of it anyways. I prefer to just use Fox when doing it though, I don't know how well this would apply to every character. Good topic :bee:

pkmvodka

Smash Lord
This is a nice topic. I'll try to add a few things that I think, helped me in VS mode a lot.

As Cort said, I think stadium players tend to have a vast knowledge of the game's physics/frames/oddities and I completly agree. They seem to move differently than VS players. Have you seen Cort's CF? It's just way too sexy.

Like LDA said, playing HRC and BTT with every characters often gave me a relative feel for their movesets, speed, weight and all that stuff. With that said, once I play VS mode, I just seem to be able to play "fast" and not only "technical".

I am not considered a very technical player, not at all. But I do know how to be fast and to be consistant on the techniques used to go faster. Being able to space and l-cancel ganon's down air in a shield into a jab or roll thus avoiding the shieldgrab is much more useful than doing fancy wavelands onto platforms. :laugh:

Another thing that I learned from playing BTT quite a lot is, as simple as it sounds. To get from point a to point b as fast as possible. It has helped me to get quick edgehogs using precise ways (projectiles to turnaround, dash cancel to turnaround and wavedash back to edgehog for example) because we are used to the attack frames and everything.

GIJOE

Smash Rookie
one of the most effective was i would train is, when on my lonesome, i would go in vs. mode and fight with my main against 2 lev9 team marths, foxs. or some other fast player on stock only no time. it forces you to react to overwelming odds and increase you reflexs. the two fast players not only get you accostomed to berserkers but also against power players due to dmg on two fronts. i ve also tried 3 lev 9 team , that i must say is for only the brave.

jacobrhcp

Smash Apprentice
I'm convinced that doesn't work at the level of play some of these guys are talking about.

Lv9s on team is a good thing to train you to learn the buttons and the length of every move, when you're not yet accostumed to the game entirely. But as you get more competitive, you'll notice computers are not the way to train, and this stadium thing works miracles sometimes.

vull45

Smash Apprentice
Training mode lets you be the most creative, trying many different tactics, shapening your technical skills and messing around with bomb jumping and sorts

FRSHSONX

Smash Cadet
thanks for the help. i improved greatly too from 1p, very hard classic/all-star. i never like adventure.

lolz ^.^ thanks again

Ouendanation

Smash Ace

As long as you enjoyed what you are doing, it will never be a waste of time. =)

Anyways. Stadium Mode has made many people better. (myself included) If it weren't for Target Test and Home Run Contest, I wouldn't be as good as I am in versus mode. I'm not saying this is the easy route to get good, because becoming good on Stadium is equally as hard (I don't care what anyone has to say about that. Stadium Mode players work just as hard as Versus Mode players. =p) as becoming good is versus. Each one can definitely lend a helping hand to the other. (marth1, JoeBushman, Cort, Calle and others)

Flipper DI Abuse? Could someone explain this in detail to me...?

Top Bottom