• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How much has Link changed in Brawl?

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Okay, this thread was made to discuss Link's changes from the previous two smash. First off, I didn't go to E for All btw. This is just what I noticed from what I've seen. First, I'll start off with noticeably better improvements, so ya!

Noticeable Improvements:

-Noticeably better lighting, and character animation
-Better graphic effects.
-Better look and outfit, and looks quite realistic.
-Seems better then in previous entries.
-Is faster.
-Can actually RUN LIKE A NORMAL FIGHTER!
-Has better alternate outfits. Nothing important, just neat to see.
-His (sword) range has increased by a substancial amount.
-His attacks look much faster.
-Seems a bit more comboable.
-Aerial moves seem...diffrent.
-Bombs have better effects, knockback, and damage.
-Boomerang is completely diffrent, and could be very comboable in tournaments.
-His arrows seem easier to move.
-His bow and arrow attack has increased range
-His bow and arrow attack does more damage seemingly
-His bow and arrow attack seems to have less lag, and more prioreity
-His spin attack seems to be better for recovery
-Clawshot seems much less laggier then the Hookshot to grab with.
-Clawshot seems to be better and easier to recover with via Tether Recovery then the Hookshot in Melee.
-Overall has more moves with good amounts of impact.
-Sems like he will be higher in the tiers in Brawl then in SSB64 and Melee.
-Seems to have changed quite a bit.
-Better recovery.
-Spin Attakc (uB) is chargeable.

Noticeable Downgrades (sorta):
-His swordplant (dAir) doesn't give that hop, and when it does, it doesn't go as high.
-Will be harder to adapt to, with so many radical changes.
-Seems like his (Gale) Boomerange in Brawl is weaker then his Boomerang in Melee, and has changed drastically.
-Doesn't seem to have the bomb recovery, sadly.
-Seems to have some moves much weaker in Brawl, that were vital to Link in Melee.

I'm unsure or neutral on the following (more the earlier):
-Everything about Link's up plant (uAir)
-Link's swordplant power and impact (dAir)
-Everything on Link's fAir
-How well is Link's nAir working.
-Is the Gale Boomerang useful at all, and if so, how useful is it=???
-How much have the bombs have improved.
-How good is the charged (fully charged and non-fully charged) spin attack.
-How do the grabs work in Brawl.
-How much lag is there with the Clawshot (before, during, and after grabbing/missing).
-What are Link's 3 taunts (I'm assuming his previous two+his TP move, but I can't confirm this)
-Is his bow and arrow attack aimable?

So ya, discuss Link's changes. Anything you feel worth noting, go right ahead. Especially if you went to E for All (and played Link). Voice how you think how much he's changed from the previous two entries, and pretty much what you expect from him. :)

TheMastermind

Smash Ace
I agree ive been trying to figure this out for a while. I havnt seen it aimable at all.
You forgot that his up B got weaker, and that it is now chargeable.
Being able to charge it, could help him a bit.
Now he can choose to let it go at anytime.

Zelda_Fan_

Smash Journeyman
I don't agree with a lot of the information so far...
Noticeable Improvements:

-Noticeably better lighting, and character animation [pointless that doesn't have to do with fighting]
-Better graphic effects. [pointless that doesn't have to do with fighting]
-Better look and outfit, and looks quite realistic. [pointless that doesn't have to do with fighting]
-Is faster.
-Can actually RUN LIKE A NORMAL FIGHTER! [Why restate things so many times?]
-Has better alternate outfits. Nothing important, just neat to see. [pointless that doesn't have to do with fighting]
-His attacks look much faster. [Not really, maybe a little, but not "much"]
-Seems a bit more comboable. [If he is more combo-able, he is easier for other characters to combo, shouldn't this be a disadvantage? Or did you mean to say he can combo better?]
-Aerial moves seem...diffrent. [...]
-His arrows seem easier to move. [wtf, easier to move?]
-His bow and arrow attack is aimable [i heard someone say that it wasn't]
-His bow and arrow attack has increased range [why couldn't you make these four points a compound sentence instead of making them all redundant?]
-Sems like he will be higher in the tiers in Brawl then in SSB64 and Melee. [There is hardly enough evidence to conclude something as bold as this]
-Seems to have changed quite a bit. [wow, I wouldn't have guessed. And why is this an advantage? Change isn't always good]

Noticeable Downgrades (sorta):
-His swordplant (dAir) doesn't give that hop, and when it does, it doesn't go as high. [You just contradicted yourself >_>. "It doesn't give the hop, but when it does"...if it doesn't give the hop, then it doesn't...if it does, it does...]
-Will be harder to adapt to, with so many radical changes. [Because no other people who use different characters will have to adapt?]
But yeah, Link looks like a better character. Spell-check much?

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Any videos to prove that? i would love that but i doubt that it's true... =O
he shoots his arrows forward instantly, and I am pretty sure they are. I have no evidence other then that, and Bowser's nB (fire breath) is aimable, so ya. I doubt it ISN'T, since Pit's is. ;)

FUZ

Smash Rookie
he shoots his arrows forward instantly, and I am pretty sure they are. I have no evidence other then that, and Bowser's nB (fire breath) is aimable, so ya. I doubt it ISN'T, since Pit's is. ;)
yes but it would have said something about it in his special moves update.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
^ I gathered that evidence based on gameplay, where that is the case. Basically it's the same as Melee, but he insantly aims at far as he could at full power in Melee=it's actually useful! XD

FUZ

Smash Rookie
^ I gathered that evidence based on gameplay, where that is the case. Basically it's the same as Melee, but he insantly aims at far as he could at full power in Melee=it's actually useful! XD
Oh... well i thought you meant that he could aim the bow up and down so that he could shoot the arrow at an angle.

DNL316

Smash Rookie
That would be awesome if Link could aim his bow......but highly unlikely from the videos on youtube that I've seen.

Crooked Crow

drank from lakes of sorrow
The Bomb Jump is out? Anything to prove it?
His Boomerang looks a lot better. It looks like that Gale effect on it gives it a much bigger hitbox.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
^ I don't think we've seen anyone attempt his bomb jump. I doubt it's out, but it's not confirmed yet (sadly). That+better tether recovery, and seemingly better spin attack recovery=Link not being a low or bottom tier character again! :laugh:

MasterFeint

Smash Cadet
Any increase in agility will be a godsend for Link. The boomerang looks iffy, good for combos, maybe not so good for what I usually use it for. And they had better not screw up my bombs again, I felt they shortened their range a bit from SSB to Melee, hopefully the power they get doesn't take away from their range.

As far as spin-attack goes, it will be nice to not see it spammed so much if they actually toned it down as much as I've heard.

lorddave551

Smash Apprentice
I don't really like what they did to the boomering. It appears to pull opponents towards you instead of knocking them back. Could hurt is edgeguaring ability, i would've prefered they left it alone.

But when i think about it in TP the boomering could pull stuff to you, heart pieces, items, etc etc. Wonder if it could pull in one of those final smash balls...

Aeramis

Smash Ace
I like Link's boomerang for Brawl because it looks really fast and I bet you can make all sorts of wonderful combos when it brings them back towards you. It would be funny if the boomerang pulls characters in mid air trying to get back to the edge under the stage where they will be unable to make it back. Also with the improvement of arrows, I'm sure they will prove more useful for edgeguarding, weak arrows were great against characters like Samus if she was low down trying to get back in melee. ***** her recovery.

Also his Up Smash is way better for Link in Brawl. It covers Link much better then is did in Melee, and seems to keep them in place for the full 3 hits.

He looks like he is smoother all around and has less lag on most all of his moves. Some other characters were slowed down more and that will only make him that much better.

His 3 taunts from what I seen are.
1: Releases a fairy from a bottle and it flies off.
2: The cool sword spin to putting it on his back while is side stance he does in TP.
3: Link's N64 taunt where he takes a high guard and stands on one leg with the other off the ground just abit. (edited: melee taunt correction)

Also he has more Alt colors then most other chars and more then he did in melee from the demo of Brawl.
1. Green (Looks oldschool and sexy)
2. Red (My old melee fav)
3. Blue (If only this was the Zora suit)
4. White (Like looks bad in white as usual... KKK Link FTL IMO >.>)
5. Yellow (Fresh and cool)
6. Shadow Link / Black (Really cool choice, but kinda sucks if everyone and their grandma over uses it which is why I will probably go with red or yellow.)

SpitFire15

Smash Ace
His 3 taunts from what I seen are.
1: Releases a fairy from a bottle and it flies off.
2: The cool sword spin to putting it on his back while is side stance he does in TP.
3: Link's Melee taunt where he brushes his hair back so he can look sexy for the ladies. :cool:
His SSB64 taunt is back.

Also he has more Alt colors then most other chars and more then he did in melee from the demo of Brawl.
4. White (Like looks bad in white as usual... KKK Link FTL >.>)
Huh? I always use white or black Link in Melee because he looks cool as hell in those colors. And KKK had pointed hoods over their heads, not long droopy hats.

Top Bottom