• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to control down b?

Andy.

Smash Cadet
I seen a video where a guy was far away from island thing on Final Destination and he used down b and he like flew upwards and then used up b, im new to mario how do you do this? (when I try I just fall)

Pye

Smash Journeyman
Montreal. PM me if you're on the island! I need op
I'm not sure if Mario is the same as Doc when it comes to PTPing (perfect tornado press), but if he is, you need to press the B button at a rate of 14 presses a second or more to get the max height from this.

The technique is called the "Rising Tornado". It's extremely useful for recovery (not as useful as Luigi's, maybe, but still useful), so I suggest you learn to use it (it's hard to get it perfect, but probably worth learning to do).

By the way, for questions on techniques like this, read the guides on the character first. Everything is in there.

Gelton

Smash Apprentice
Remember to use it BEFORE you use any other recovery trick (in most cases) such as the cape.

supermariopro101

Smash Journeyman
Actually, you should use the cape first because it will stop all the knockback of the attack you were hit by just like how the Shine stops all the horizontal movement of Fox and Falco.
The order of recovery for Mario is as follows:

1.) Use the rising tornado by pressing down and repeatedly pressing B while moving in an upwards diagonal towards the stage.

2.) Cape (Self-explanatory)

3.) Double jump and cape more if needed

4.) Up B and try to shine-spike the ledge

The reason you must use the tornado first is because if you use the cape, you are making your recovery more predictable and easy to defend against. What if an opponent comes at you with a flying meteor after you have used the cape? What do you do now? You could Up B a little early if close enough to the stage but you are SOL if you have already used the cape.

I realize stopping your momentum is a better move, IF in danger of flying off the screen, otherwise, start with the tornado.

Z-N_Freak

Smash Ace
If you'd like to see the perfect tornado on your screen. Go to training mode and practice it in 1/4 speed. Then if you'd like to do it in a real match, build it up. So go from 1/4 to 1/3 to 1/2 and finally to 1.

I can do it with doc (probably also with Mario) but I do not gain any height with it in the end (you'll drop a big part before you can do anyhting again)

I myself find it usefull when your close to the ledge and your foe is hanging and going to roll so that you'll fall to your death if you Upb

I use it more as a stall then a recovery.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Mario and Doc's tornado require the same amount of button taps per second. Either that or Mario's is slightly better. Practice tapping B and you'll eventually get higher and higher.

Top Bottom