• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to deal with a Wario

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
I've been monitoring this thread just to see how zeldas deal with warios so I can learn to counter it. Didn't think that the zelda boards could be deader than the wario boards.

4tlas

Smash Lord
I just put out tons of dins. Dont play many Warios so I cant say much about whether this works on good players or not, but just don't let him get in and force him to approach. His options for taking out dins should be pretty limited (aerial moves like fair and nair are the only ones I can think of, I suppose sideb...) and you should be able to slowly wall him off the stage or into a corner with well placed mines. If he does choose to clank them you need to be within distance to quickly jump->fair to punish the endlag of his fair/nair.

Oh and be careful about placing dins if he can just sideb around them. He will clank and stop moving if he hits them, but if he can just jump over them or run under them youre getting punished hard.

I hope this isn't bad advice. When you don't get to play against good mains you can never be sure that your strat is actually good...

Kaeldiar

Smash Ace
Wario is weird. I haven't played any Warios, but from what I've seen, you'll probably want to grab a lot. You should be able to get a lot off of d-throw/f-throw, since he's heavy and won't go very far, but is floaty and will stay in the air. Try not to get hit by side-b. Just shield it and shieldgrab until he starts mixing it up with dash grab. Then you have to start mixing up your game...but if he isn't going to attack creatively, then you don't have to defend creatively.

Last edited:

Schwamus

Smash Cadet
Wario is weird. I haven't played any Warios, but from what I've seen, you'll probably want to grab a lot. You should be able to get a lot off of d-throw/f-throw, since he's heavy and won't go very far, but is floaty and will stay in the air. Try not to get hit by side-b. Just shield it and shieldgrab until he starts mixing it up with dash attack. Then you have to start mixing up your game...but if he isn't going to attack creatively, then you don't have to defend creatively.
Shield grab generally doesn't work with Zelda against a Wario side-b. The shield knockback (on both Wario and Zelda) puts him out of range of her grab. Shield grabbing works for Samus/ Link/ the likes, but without a tether you can't reach him consistently, and a whiffed shield grab can leave her open to a down smash which is somewhere you NEVER want to be against a good Wario. Plus, it is pretty easy for Wario's to bait a side b to get you to shield then come in with a bite.

What I like to do to counter a side B is use a Naryu's. It outranges his shoulder and can fairly (lol) easily lead into a lightning kick or other followup. If you can grab him, put him offstage with a backthrow. Wario is pretty easy to edgeguard with a down smash, and if you can get him to use a waft in his recovery then that's one less kill move in his belt (well for 2 minutes or whenever that ends). Also, a Din's fire either on the ground or at jump height eliminates one of his two options for a side-b.

Note: If you are going to roll when he side b's (which I like to do as a mixup), roll INTO Wario to put you behind him. Rolling away will just get you hit with a shoulder when you stand back up.

WhiteCrow

Smash Journeyman
Just shield the side-B, wavedash oos, grab / whatever
WD OoS too good. Seriously though, Wario has a disturbing amount of aerial mobility, and he flaunts that in our floaty faces. Spacing Wario in the air can be a nightmare because of his ability to bait our aerials while throwing his own out safely. He can combo us to death with fair>waft, dair>up air, up air>up b and so on, reliably KOing us off the top. If we stay grounded too much he can force us to over commit to a laggy move and punish it with his side b, d tilt, f smash, or any of his aerials if he's close enough. You have to be very cautious around Wario since he can approach and punish faster than he lets on.

We do have some solid advantages though. In the air we have extremely potent kill options with our lightning kicks, both of which can out space his stubby aerials and stuff his side b shenanigans. Up air might not be as great of a kill option against Wario because he's so heavy, but it links together well and has enough disjoint to punish dair happy opponents. On the ground we have great multi hit moves like f smash and Nayru's Love which can clip poor side b approaches. Our up tilt is great for trading at high percents because he has to get very close to us to connect. We also have burst movement in the form of Farore's Wind, but be careful and unpredictable with it our you'll eat a hard punish. Nothing is more depressing then losing because you teleported into a fart.

We have an awesome projectile, learn how to use it in the matchup. Grounded mines can halt side b approaches and platform traps can make his aerial camping more difficult. Keep in mind that his up b has crazy knock back against us and his fart can power through Din traps. Keep this in mind when you're planning edge guard set ups with Din's Fire (don't ignore it's returning hitbox). Wario's recovery is pretty linear when the waft isn't on deck so you better be pushing your edge guards as hard as you can. That's where you'll do the most damage and net the most stocks.

TLDR: Don't stay in shield too much or he'll bite you. He has better aerial mobility than us. Edge guard with all your heart. Learn how to DI his aerials so his strings do less damage. Learn to punish side b approaches. Use your specials wisely and safely. Beware the DACUS.

Did I leave anything out @Strong Bad?

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
I have a question. Side B I think clanks with a Din's mine, but the explosion should actually outprioritize it, right?

Also, random but what's the best way to DI Dtilt? I get myself caught in a string of it sometimes and then I feel like maybe I should eat a banana or something to increase my IQ

WhiteCrow

Smash Journeyman
I have a question. Side B I think clanks with a Din's mine, but the explosion should actually outprioritize it, right?

Also, random but what's the best way to DI Dtilt? I get myself caught in a string of it sometimes and then I feel like maybe I should eat a banana or something to increase my IQ
Detonations do out prioritize Wario's side special if you time right or the timer explosion goes off.

DI Wario's down tilt away from his face. Whether you want to also DI up (putting you in the air to punish with a kick) or down and away (allowing you to CC down smash) is up to you. You could always DI up and into him to try and get a point blank nair, but you might still be in hitstun.

ZGE

Smash Apprentice
Here's a video probably on how NOT to deal with it (match where I got 2-0'd by a pretty good Wario, I played another set against him in losers and got 2-1'd but that video isn't up yet):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hxps9iu284g

Also worth mentioning is that this video was the first time I ever did this matchup, so I didn't have much clue on what to do. Generally though, apparently wavedash grab OOS on a Wario Side B is really good, Wario's side b will go through weak Din's, up smash is pretty good, etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom