• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to get back to the stage as Sonic?

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
You're gonna have to give us a lot more explanations as to how you're dying and where you SD. A lot of Sonic's use NeutralB->Blast Attack to cut momentum and head back to the stage, and then it's a question of SideB, or using DownB to change your angle, or Down B -> Spin Shot. I sometimes, on walled stages, Dair into walljump to mixup my recovery and see if my opponent throws out a risky maneuver on stage that I can punish.

Sonic has a lot of options, but he lacks a good way to keep an opponent guessing if he falls below the stage horizon. Spring is great vertical coverage, but it can be difficult to sweetspot, and unlike some action-after-recoveries, Sonic cannot walljump or airdodge after Spring, so you have to be careful.

internetmovieguy

Smash Apprentice
When i am really really high up i like to Dair to the ledge to try and bait something from my opponents then punish with a spring or stall with HA ->blast attack. Sonic has got mix ups for recovery, you just have to be creative.

LEG0

Smash Rookie
Yeah like the people above me have said, it depends where / how far you are that decides what recovery options you use but as sonic you have many options. Most people hate sonic because he can recover from very far distance. Most people I play at least lol
:4sonic:
Heres a video of sonic 3.0 recovery options, skip to about 1:39 for just recovery info
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqxXxrdvbMg

ImmaAsian

Smash Cadet
Yeah like the people above me have said, it depends where / how far you are that decides what recovery options you use but as sonic you have many options. Most people hate sonic because he can recover from very far distance. Most people I play at least lol
:4sonic:
Heres a video of sonic 3.0 recovery options, skip to about 1:39 for just recovery info
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqxXxrdvbMg
Thanks man! Still learning but I'm getting better, I was just having trouble with UpB'ing towards the stage, because I have a tendancy to CC a lot, and then I slide horizontally off the stage, waste my jump and UpB TOO EARLY as a habit, but it's starting to dumb down. Thanks again.

Ragna22

Smash Ace
There are two methods of recovering, the first being homing attacking, it's very easy to underestimate the range on it so it's also a good way to resume attacking when you get back onto the field assuming your opponent is trying to edge guard you, if not you should still be able to cover enough distance to get back with your up special, though I'd only recommend this method if you're at a high enough point of the screen.

My second method is a mixture of four actions. Side spin-dash + second jump + homing attack for extra distance and up special, if you've already used up your double jump well then there's another reason to use the homing attack method above.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
My issue with the homing attack method most of the time is that I'm somehow facing the opposite direct and Sonic shoots away from the stage.

Flush 5

Smash Cadet
How reliable is homing attack for bumping into the stage. I often will side-b and miss the ledge and go underneath a stage, but i've seen people correct and recover by HA multiple times into the bottom of the stage until he drifts out. Can you basically infinite stall by HA wall-bouncing?

Nazo

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nazoplex
How reliable is homing attack for bumping into the stage. I often will side-b and miss the ledge and go underneath a stage, but i've seen people correct and recover by HA multiple times into the bottom of the stage until he drifts out. Can you basically infinite stall by HA wall-bouncing?
Yup, just mash B. :)

shores

Smash Rookie
9 times out of ten there is no reason you shouldn't make it back to the stage when you get sent flying. You have to watch yourself off stage, because hitting side b with no jump when off stage is an instant SD. Barring that possibility sonic has more options than should be aloud for recovery. His neutral b spamming is a good way to span all horizontal distance as well as a jump cancelled side b. side b will sweet spot the edge or get you against a wall so you can jump+wall jump. (Don't Quote me on this one) but 'I believe down b cancels momentum' and also it spans horizontal distance until you jump cancel it. My favorite trick is that up b has great distance and if it isn't long enough because an opponent is holding the edge, you can footstool out of up b which will give you access to any unused jumps and an additional up b. Not that you'll need them if you are foot stooling an opponent on the edge. However, if some one comes to challenge you off stage up b+foot stool+up b is a really cool niche option. Neutral b homes in to opponents on stage getting great distance and even the dreaded bottom of the stage is defeated by sonics homing abilities, what no opponent to home in on, no problem if you are close enough to the bottom of the stage he will hit it any way. All this with the addition of what said above, you can mash b against walls :) ... I love sonic and he can recover with the best of them.

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
Sadly it works if your opponent is far away from you it will not work :(

GabPR

Smash Lord
You could always spinshot into the stage, if you think the opponent might try to intercept the spinshot you could always use an aerial, up-b, homing attack, air dodge or side b before your in range of your opponent. This will change the momentum of the spinshot and is useful for mind games and keeping your opponent on their toes.

Pr0fessor Flash

Smash Master
NNID
Snake_Midwest
3DS FC
1993-8618-5171
If you under the stage and Homing Attacking on certain stages like PS2 Battlefield and maybe PS1 you can just wall jump closer to the ledge better than being stuck though!

mtmaster

Smash Journeyman
NNID
mtmaster_2k7
3DS FC
0645-7185-4095
Sonic as plenty of options. As people have already said you have his spin shot, his blast attack, his homing attack which can actually home onto the stage if you're close enough and at the proper angle. He obviously has his spring and his side B. In a way you could say every thing Sonic does can be used as a recovery for the most part. Its what makes me love him so much, and I thought his recovery was great in Brawl :p

Top Bottom