• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How to Use Mario's L Cancel Correctly!

The21stSmasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7518-6470-1706
L canceling in general is something what most competitive players need for approach. To me, :mario2: haves one of the best L cancels I ever used! :awesome: However, I'm having trouble performing it and I still can't do to correctly today. :facepalm:

Because normally, when you L cancel with Mario, he'll slide... a lot. But when I try to do it, there goes one little slide. :glare:
The fact I lack this strategy was really pissing me off. And now I ask for helping-hands.

So what's a better way to do the L canceling with Mario?
Answers Please! :cool:

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
You slide the same distance when you L-Cancel as when you don't L-Cancel, and it's based on your pre-landing horizontal momentum.

Ogopogo

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3797-6544-0935
Are you sure you don't mean wavedashing, which is air-dodging into the ground and sliding?

GeZ

Smash Lord
No. The L cancel was what I meant.
Positive? L-Canceling is just pressing the Left bumper (trigger?) when you land during the animation of an aerial, cutting down the recovery of that move. It has no effect on your sliding. Are you ABSOLUTELY SURE you don't mean wavedashing? It sounds like you're describing wavedashing...

The21stSmasher

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-7518-6470-1706
Positive? L-Canceling is just pressing the Left bumper (trigger?) when you land during the animation of an aerial, cutting down the recovery of that move. It has no effect on your sliding. Are you ABSOLUTELY SURE you don't mean wavedashing? It sounds like you're describing wavedashing...
OHHHHHH! Wavedashing! Now I see what you mean.

jayeldeee

Smash Journeyman
Lol, it's alright man. For L-Canceling, it's more of well, a cancel of the move is the best way I can put it. There's usually no crazy sliding with L-Canceling.

But if you're going to practice it, start off slow and dash from the air. Full Hop -> Down + L Trigger (R). Then once you do that, change the Down to down right and down left. Once you feel comfortable, do a Short Hop (wait till the peak) -> Down + L Trigger (R). Then start doing down right and down left again. Then start doing a Short Hop and instantaneously press down left or down right and L Trigger (R) right away. It'll take a bit, but this is how I got used to it.

GingaBread

Smash Cadet
Also you may be referring to mario's amazing waveland, which after short aerial animations such as u-air or bair you can do the same trigger press with a direction (down+right or down+left) to do a big slide right as you make contact with the ground.

Top Bottom