• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How would I do aerials instantly out of short hops?

Akzomp

Smash Cadet
NNID
AKG_Akzomp
I am what I would call an "above average" Smash 4 player who would like to learn Melee/PM to some degree.

I have been playing Melee every-so-often recently and have been getting used to the engine. The main difference for me coming from Smash 4 is the way move buffering works, such as how in Smash 4, you can press Y and A at the same time to get a nair for example, and in Melee you don't have that privilege. You have jump and instantly hit A to get the move, due to the buffer system being very different.

I am wondering how to be proficient with this (with Fox specifically, since he is the character I would play). I seemed to get short hop instant (rising) aerials when tapping Y and then tapping A multiple times, but this is also tough, since short hopping with Fox already requires no more than a feather weight of force on the jump button and can be messed up easily due to your finger's momentum getting ready to tap A.

I might be overthinking this and the answer is probably more obvious than what occurs to me, but either way, help a fellow noob out!

Last edited:

Synnett

Alligator Lord
-Try sliding down your thumb to the A button after pressing X or Y. (Or press the Y button with the tip of your thumb and press A with your joint lmao)
-Use Z for aerials, it requires less movement from your thumb, as you can jump with your thumb and press Z with your finger.
-You can use the c stick for full hops, as you can trigger them by slamming your control stick up. That's what I do.

Practice and practice and practice... someday you'll get the right timing :083:

Last edited:

F1SHER

scrub
Slippi.gg
FSHR#913
I play claw so this was intuitive and easy. other than that, grow your thumbnail out a little bit lol for easier shorthops. it sounds like you understand what you need to do, and as annoying as this is to hear you just gotta practice a whole bunch

Top Bottom