• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How would you "fix" the rumored 35 roster?

sHy)(gUy

Smash Ace
ness is preety much confirmed, so just replace r.o.b with geno and krystal with wolf and u have a beautiful roster.... and for the record i would like too see g&w go to make room for ridley or isaac

Marcman2020

Smash Cadet
Remove Wolf or Falco and replace one of them with Krystal

Remove R.O.B and Marth and replace them with Maciah (SP?) and Lip

We need more females, end of story

Fawriel

Smash Master
I did read the first post. However i assume half the thread is people crying why one of their favorite chars is not in.
You just barely saved yourself from a boot to the head.

Not so much people like freeman. *dramatic kick in their collective teeth*

I think I can speak for Fatmanonice since we are on the same page.

First, about characters.
How about you stop and try to think that some people aren't so childish to hate the roster because their one favourite character isn't in it? Is that concept so hard to grasp?
Personally, I had one character who I would have been really overjoyed for, she got deconfirmed, I was annoyed, end of story. If WW Link isn't in, too bad. If Ridley, or Krystal, or Midna or Geno or so aren't in, darn. Klonoa and Phoenix Wright not in; well, duh.
All I ever wished for was a roster that had an overall nice appeal. 35 characters, okay, fine, can be lived with.
But then THREE of those characters are practically one character type recycled ( FOX, FOX WITH A BIRD HEAD, FOX WITH A GRAY HEAD ), one extra character who quite literally has no life or personality ( A ****ING ROBOT! ), a veteran who is bound to be the Luigi to his successor Lucas, a new fad Pokemon replacing a classic villain...
Why on earth would you waste that little space for the characters with the least possible personality in the whole library? Why? There is no reason for it. There is no reason to have Wolf in there instead of Krystal, no reason to choose to add Ness or ROB before you add someone like Ridley, there is NO excuse for having so few characters and WASTING them on the equivalent of Bee Suit Mario as a separate character.

2. Priority.
It's been said before, but if it's really necessary, I'll elaborate.
There are certain priorities in what is important in this game, which build up on one another. Let's see what those are.

I. The engine.
Nothing works without the engine. However, the engine already worked before. Some would have preferred Melee's engine to remain unchanged. They changed it, which is fine, but wasn't exactly necessary. Point is, this most important priority was already accounted for.

II. Characters.
That's right, characters. The engine is just there to allow you to move characters around places. The game is just so popular because of emotional attachment people have to these characters. The plot is about characters, the game is about characters, everything else in this game relies on the characters, without them, nothing could be done, nothing would be done and nobody would care what you can do in a beautiful stage with beautiful music and superawesome items if there are no cool CHARACTERS.

For a sequel...
THIS. IS. THE. HIGHEST. PRIORITY.

III. Stages.
So you have places to have fun with your characters.

IV. Game modes.
One would technically be enough, but more game modes equal replayability with your characters and stages.

V. Items.
Some people consider them important for the fun factor. Fine by me. So you can have fun items in your game modes on stages with your characters.

VI. Cute gimmicks.
All those things that add something to the game, but the absence of which would have bothered NO ONE because no one actually EXPECTED them to be in the game. This is a vital point, so I'll repeat it. Nobody expected specific cute gimmicks. No one comes to forums to ask about new types of collectible things, few people come to forums to wonder if there could be a stage editor, no one asked for demos of classic games.
To the contrary, everyone expected a great engine, characters, stages, game modes and maybe even some items.
As awesome as the stage builder is. Nobody would have missed it.

Sounds logical, right? Now WHY on earth would they start from the bottom of the list up?

EDIT: Oh yeah, to actually reply to the topic... if I have to be realistic...

Take out Zamus for Ridley.
Wolf and Falco for Krystal and Isaac.
Marth for Micaiah.
ROB for Geno.
Maybe Lucario for Mewtwo.
And maybe make Zelda standalone, then turn Sheik into Tetra with a similar moveset to accompany WW Link.

The Legend Of Zelda

Smash Cadet
Starting roster:

1. Mario
2. Peach
3. Bowser
4. Pikachu
5. Pokemon Trainer with Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard
6. Link
7. Zelda/Shiek
8. Fox
9. Kirby
10. Metaknight
11. King Dedede
12. Donkey Kong
13. Diddy Kong
14. Samus/Zero Suit Samus
15. Lucas
16. Ike
17. Pit
18. Wario
19. Ice Climbers
20. Yoshi
21. Captain Olimar

Unlockable roster:

22. Captain Falcon
23. Luigi
24. Ness
25. Jigglypuff
26. Lucario
27. Ganondorf
28. Cell Shaded Young Link
29. Falco
30. Wolf
31. Marth
32. Mr. Game and Watch
33. Sonic
34. Snake
35. ROB (Yes, the little Robot toy from the NES era)
Remove:

1. Pit: It's not that I don't love the character, it's just that 35 spaces is pretty few for adequately encapsulating Nintendo history. I'd say that until he gets another game, he's stuck as a footnote, although he is a particularly cool one.

2. Popo & Nana: Like Pit, Popo & Nana are really just footnotes, and in my opinion, not an especially remarkable one.

3. Ness: I love the guy and all, but in a roster with such limited space I can't really justify including both him and Lucas.

4. Jigglypuff: There are hundreds of Pokémon out there, and Jigglypuff just doesn't stand out from the crowd so much for me.

5. Lucario: What I said about Jigglypuff I find to be even more true of Lucario. Not that these aren't cool characters.

6. Young Link: I'd welcome him as a transformation for Link, but as a separate character he feels like such a waste. As for the cel-shaded thing, I'd prefer a cel-shaded stage; one that perhaps even converted all the characters playing in it to a cel-shaded style.

7. Falco: Once again, we just haven't got the room to spare.

8. Wolf: See Falco.

9. Marth: In order to avoid crowding Fire Emblem's limited representation with only Lords, I'd prefer to concentrate on characters from just one of the storylines, and I'd personally pick the most recent.

10. Mr. Game & Watch: As gimmicks go, he's about as fun as they come, but I'm not about to give up a precious roster slot to him.

11. Sonic: If third parties are joining in, then he ought to be first in line, but I'm a Nintendo purist myself.

12. Snake: See Sonic.

13. R.O.B.: As a WTF character, he's inferior to G&W, and even he didn't make my cut.

Also, I'd get rid of Squirtle, Ivysaur and Charizard and let Red do his own fighting, as well as cutting the Zero-Suit and maybe even the Sheik transformation.

Add:

1. Tingle: Yeah, yeah. He's public enemy number one for a lot of you, but no other character in the Zelda series has gone on to star in games of his own. Nor have any outside the big three made as many appearances in the main titles. I think he'd be a nice lighthearted addition to the roster, and I'd hope that he'd ultimately gain some favor among his many detractors.

2. Giovanni: Yes, the leader of Team Rocket. The crime syndicates have been a near-constant presence in the Pokémon series since its inception, and in terms of in-game storyline significance, no individual character represents this aspect of the franchise better than Giovanni.

3. Mewtwo: For my money, he's the most unique of the hordes of Pokémon, and one of very few to boast any real storyline significance. My thinking is that he should be second only to Pikachu where playable Pokémon are concerned.

4. Micaiah: A mage, a female, and central character of the most recent Fire Emblem installment. Uniqueness and significance, the two things I look for in the roster.

5. Black Knight: Made trouble for the protagonists of the last two Fire Emblem games running; in my mind rounds out the perfect trio of substantially different yet closely related Fire Emblem representatives.

6. K. Rool: Nearly all the franchises get a baddie, and when you've got one as much fun and as constant a presence as K. Rool, he ought to be a shoo-in.

7. Ridley: Probably the single franchise most in need of increased representation; Ridley is the most natural choice.

8. Metroid Prime: And here, I believe, is the second most natural. As the force behind a trilogy of some of the greatest Nintendo games ever, there's no denying its importance to the series. And with the gameplay possibilities presented by being able to manifest as a Dark version of any of its opponents, I think this would be one of the most enjoyed characters on the roster.

9. Samurai Goroh: Admit it, you were a little disappointed to see he was an assist trophy. After that revelation, we speculated that maybe Black Shadow could be F-Zero's other rep, but I think we'll all agree that Goroh would be our first choice.

10. Andy: Advance Wars has been an enormous success for Nintendo, and I don't understand why it hasn't been integrated into the Smash universe more fully. Andy, of course, is your main man.

11. Sami: But perhaps it's Sami who best embodies that spirit of battle. At any rate, these two make a great pair of representatives of probably the greatest Nintendo series launched in the new millennium.

12. Ray: Custom Robo's greatest games never made it outside of Japan, so it's easy to underestimate this series. But its first couple installments were an especially cool take on the genre, with the sort of fun-loving vibe Nintendo specializes in. Ray'd make a unique and worthy fighter.

13. Stafy: My final pick, and probably the most awkward in terms of moveset design. I'd hope that what Marth & Roy's inclusion did for Fire Emblem would likewise occur with Stafy's series. And underwater fights on his stage would be an awesome gameplay twist.

Well, maybe more radical than most, but when your history is as rich as Nintendo's, it's hard to cover a lot of ground with only 35 slots. I have to say, though, that I'm pretty pleased with what I was ultimately able to select.

TLOZ

Shuma

Smash Hero
Many of you might know(or maybe not) that i fuly support Ridley, however, saying the roster is bad, is bull****. Have you seen the characters on the Dojo. Yeah. Half of them where top requested characters.

Of course, the 35 character roster is a fake, like all of them, why would Sakurai make 23 starters if you can unlock only 12 more, and more than half of them were playable in Melee etc etc. 35 roster is fake, but not bad, it could be better however. And it's going to be better.

Smash-X

Smash Rookie
Starting roster:

1. Mario
2. Peach
3. Bowser
4. Pikachu
5. Pokemon Trainer with Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard
6. Link
7. Zelda/Shiek
8. Fox
9. Kirby
10. Metaknight
11. King Dedede
12. Donkey Kong
13. Diddy Kong
14. Samus/Zero Suit Samus
15. Lucas
16. Ike
17. Pit
18. Wario
19. Ice Climbers
20. Yoshi
21. Captain Olimar

Unlockable roster:

22. Captain Falcon
23. Luigi
24. Ness
25. Jigglypuff
26. Lucario
27. Ganondorf
28. Cell Shaded Young Link
29. Falco
30. Wolf
31. Marth
32. Mr. Game and Watch
33. Sonic
34. Snake
35. ROB (Yes, the little Robot toy from the NES)

Kick out:

Lucas : Ness & Lucas, both to similar and how could this franchise have more reps than F-Zero?

Jigglypuff: I hate her and think Mewtwo deserves a return more than her.

Cel-Shaded Link: This is not Melee, i don't like having a character twice.

Falco: We got him in Melee and i think now it's time for Wolf & Krystal to shine.

ROB: No, just no.

Put in:
Ridley
Mewtwo
Isaac
Krystal
Geno

Hero_of_Shadows

Smash Cadet
Remove:
ROB (because he sucks)
Wolf (Krystal is more unique)
Cell Link (only character I could think of removing to get in who I want *sweatdrop*)
Falco (to similar to Fox)

Add:
Geno (because he's Geno.... duh!)
Isaac (I think GS deserves a rep, and he would have an awesomely unique moveset)
Ridley (Three words..... Space Dragon Pirate!!!)
Krystal (most unique StarFox rep)

True Fool

Smash Ace
Unlockable roster:

22. Captain Falcon
23. Luigi
24. Ness Swapped for Claus
25. Jigglypuff
26. Lucario
27. Ganondorf
28. Cell Shaded Young Link Swapped for Micaiah
29. Falco Swapped for Krystal
30. Wolf Swapped for Ridley
31. Marth
32. Mr. Game and Watch
33. Sonic
34. Snake
35. ROB Swapped for Issac

In my personal opinion, and ONLY my opinion, the roster would be perfect like this. I already like the starters, and this would complete the game for me.

By the way, if people are "crying and complaining" about the roster, then there's obviously something wrong with it. These people complaining are the fans, and the game is supposed to generally appeal to the fans.

But it's not as if this roster can be trusted anyway, this topic was made for fun, to ask everyone's opinion on how they would fix this "leaked" roster. I honestly believe that R.O.B., Cel Shaded Link, Wolf AND Falco, would never be unlockables. But like I said, Wolf AND Falco, one may make it, but both before Krystal is just plain stupid.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
See how not everybody can agree on exactly which characters should be added to "fix" the roster? Not everybody can even agree on which ones should be taken out. A lot of people wanted Wolf, Ness, and WW Link to be in the game. So there's nothing wrong with that roster the way it is. They can't possibly make one roster that includes everyone that everybody wants.

If the roster was A, and one person thought it should be B, one person thought it should be C, and one person thought it should be D, then all 3 of them would agree that it shouldn't be A. But that doesn't mean that they all agree on what it should be. If they changed it to B, the people who wanted it to be C and D would still be unhappy, and so would the people who liked it when it was A. So just as many people would complain no matter what they changed it to.

The game isn't being made for YOU specifically. It's ridiculous and unreasonable to think that any character roster they could come up with will include everyone YOU think should be in the game, and no one that YOU think shouldn't be in the game.
Yes, because I've made oh so clear that I'm ONLY thinking about myself... See, this is why serious conservation about this matter has hit a brick wall everytime it has been brought up. Also, when did I say that my goal was to make EVERYONE happy? It was my goal to make MOST people happy which the supposed 35 character roster fails completely to accomplish. Yes, let's assume that I'm a whiny brat and going clearly off my own whims when many people have looked at the roster and said "hmm, I agree with that" or "hmm, I don't completely agree with it but I'm satisfied." Can you say the same about the supposed 35 character roster? No, you can't...

Top Bottom