• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Hylian vs Ally..

ch33s3

Smash Lord
Notes as I'm watching: You squall too much at him, and eat utilts. Don't drop your grabs (obviously). Think of his utilt like MK's shuttle loop, it's a get out of jail free card. You fell for his uair and bair shenanigans a whole lot. Don't be aggressive against snake in the air until he's out of options, like he already burned his upb and is too low for breverse to save him. That's game 1, I have to run, will edit comments on the others later.

Game 2: You started off PERFECTLY, shame you dropped the grab...twice. Ugh, don't go for those upbs, they don't work. Stop squalling you get punished EVERY time. Rather than stepping on a mine to blow it up, bounce ice blocks off it and chase them, it's a great setup that gets me grabs all the time. Silly SD second stock x_x. When you had the grab at the edge, either do my 0-death, or spike and immediately dtilt, it ***** snake. When Snake is forced to tech, don't be afraid to bair him out of it.

Game 3: First off, CS? Weird pick, but okay. Ugh, more upb. When you get a grab and nana isn't there, just uthrow, at least you get something out of it.

General notes: You grab too much. Like, obnoxiously, scarily, omfg, too much. You should NEVER be dash grabbing snake, if you're grabbing him, it better be out of a shield or a pivot, Snake eats dash grabs. I suggest going NOT FD against Snake, I greatly prefer BF and Lylat for neutrals, FD is too big. You played too aggressively against him, as well. If he wants to camp, let him, you ran after him almost immediately. Squall got you punished a lot, and you made a lot of silly mistakes, which against Snake is ewwww.

And yea, it was me about hitlag d/s, it's pro against Snake and Diddy.

Hylian

Not even death can save you from me
Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Also cheese I think it was you or someone asking me about getting hitlag desynch grabs off of jabs and I think I do it twice in the this set, one might of been off a tilt IIRC.

B0NK

Smash Lord
Match 1

- After Snake gets to the percentage when blizzards can freeze him, it becomes much more punishable. To avoid being punish, keep the blizzards desynch so the other climber can cover you. Also spacing the tip of the blizzards keeps them from freezing snake.

- When snake gets to KO percentage (like 150%) and you have a good amount of damage (like 50% or so) going for grabs to KO is not as effective. This is because nana can get hit a good distance away and a b-throw from snake will send you farther. Using more b-airs and d-tilt after snake is at this percentage can either ko him or lead him into the air where after the hit, snake will be able to be killed by u-air (well, depending on how fresh the up-air is but having snake in the air is more favorable then on the ground when trying to ko him).

-When trying to punish snake for missed moves at a close distance, use tilts or charge the f-smash instead of just f-smashing. It's surprising how safe some of his moves are (like even missed aerials at times).

- When you do land a squall, most players that know the match-up jump away instead of airdodge/attack after the final hit. Take note when this happens and chase snake down with up-airs, hitting him out of his second jump. The opponent is more likely to jump when there are platforms to run to like on battlefield

Match 2

- Dropped chaingrab.....don't really need to point it out but also I would wait 'til snake is at 110% before charging the u-smash KO. I don't personally use this chain on heavies but it looked like the drops were cause by the stricter timing as the percentage of snake rose (but im sure you know the advantages and disadvantages of this chaingrab over another.

-Watch the squall. I saw that you were rising it to avoid the grenades but Ally caught on pretty quick and started using u-tilts by second match to punish it. It's tough to get back on stage against a snake, but possibly don't try to get up right away when you see a grenade so that you can wait it out long enough that Ally couldn't have used his up-tilt without eating a grenade.

- When you grab any mid/heavy weight right next to the ledge just f-throw spike them. I know it's DI-able but it at least puts some damage and sends the opponent off stage

- When you got snake into the air, just stop the desynchs and try to read his landing or airdodges. Would have been sexy if nana landed that f-smash though xD

- Pressure snake a little more when he is offstage.

Match 3

- Just notice the hitlag desynch off the jab, first time i've seen it lead to a popo grab and not a nana grab. I knew it was possible with nana's grab but haven't been able to get it consistent

- Possibly got a little too aggressive after you had the nice lead. Ally caught up quickly when he went on the defense waiting for you to run into a grenade. After the grenade blew up from Ally's shield, momentum shifted quickly and led to your IC's getting separated a killed. Unfortunately not much you could do after the b-air was thrown out (which i thought was spaced, the grenade may have been cooked long enough) [00:38] Edit: Just checked, Ally did a very good job cooking that grenade.

- After a snake regains momentum, try to get away instead of trying to get inside. The momentum switched again at 1:33 when you airdodge into the jab.

- At 2:28, once again a charged f-smash or a tilt would have been more favorable then a normal f-smash. In general on snake when he is trying to get to the ground, charge smashes and tilts is usually the safer option. A well placed up-tilt could sometimes lead to a grab. Momentum shift once again in Ally's favor.

- In this last match there weren't really any match-up problems but Ally just taking the momentum and capitalizing on it.

Hope this input helps =P Unfortunately this stuff is harder to see during a real tourney match for any IC's player. Gotta start seeing this stuff in my own matches >.<

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
I must ask, why are you pivot chain grabbing him?
Because that CG moves you away from grenades safely so I just always do it.

Reading the other replies now.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
Alright dudeez.
1st= good job. You did really good. I love your non-chaingrab game. You use alot of your moves very effectivley.

But every thing I can say has already been said D:
Ya know, don't drop your grabs. Don't squall so much. Try not to get so punished.

Good job again.

Zero Hour

Smash Apprentice
I'm assuming you lost your pick of controller slots because that screwed you over a few times.

If your going to squall do it semi close to him and then retreat it or you will get punished.
Know your kill percentages on snake you Usmashed him too early in game 2 I think.
Try to avoid air dodging his ****, more often then not it got you hit by more ****.
And I guess after that practice that CG more if you killed him with each grab you probably would have one.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Yeah I'm really good at getting grabs so I kind of rely on that to not practice as much haha >_>. It's dumb.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
1st match, try more to get him on the platform, when he is there you have a few extra tools to mix up with, to not forget the uair, which you used alot, but is even better when synched for obvious reasons=)

2nd, not sure, maybe reading his edgeguard better, snake dies at like 140% on FD by a fully charged fsmash.

3rd, you had oppoturnity in the end of the match to refresh your moves by jabing the pillars, use that, so your uair keeps fresh for example, might check last match again later for other things...

EDIT: ah, and remember snake is easy to play against, ICs is really really hard to play against

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Uh...right thanks.

Smasher89

Smash Lord
Last sentence didn´t make sence?, it´s a comment on how the mental game is(or should be) before every set starts.

Of course snake is a hard matchup, but it should in no way be too hard for IC's =) (is it possible to do anything if he hits with the first hit ftilt on the shield?

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
one thing(Snake in General)

I think if you buffer a dash grab out of down throw popo might be able to solo chain grab him. I'm still testing this though.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
one thing(Snake in General)

I think if you buffer a dash grab out of down throw popo might be able to solo chain grab him. I'm still testing this though.
lol you can dthrow cg Snake to 84%. Why don't all IC users know this >_<.

MK you can walking dthrow cg till 40% then dashgrab till 65%.

Spacies you can walking cg to 50+ and dashgrab till close to 100%. Same with shiek.

GimR

GimR, Co-Founder of VGBootCamp
NNID
VGBC_GimR
lol you can dthrow cg Snake to 84%. Why don't all IC users know this >_<.

MK you can walking dthrow cg till 40% then dashgrab till 65%.

Spacies you can walking cg to 50+ and dashgrab till close to 100%. Same with shiek.

1. I'm pretty sure snake can pull a grenade(I could be wrong about this)

2. You cannot chain grab mk until 64 he gets too high off the ground at that point.

3. Fox and falco start going into regular hit stun around 80 percent because they are light characters

Not trying to sound like a douche. I just think your Info's off.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
1. I'm pretty sure snake can pull a grenade(I could be wrong about this)

2. You cannot chain grab mk until 64 he gets too high off the ground at that point.

3. Fox and falco start going into regular hit stun around 80 percent because they are light characters

Not trying to sound like a douche. I just think your Info's off.
1. He can't pull a nade.

2. You are wrong. Well, I think you worded that wrong. You can CG mk till 65%. Walking 40% of it. I've done this to many top MK players and none of them have escaped unless I messed up. These %'s have also already been tested.

3. Falco and Fox can be dthrow cg'ed till 87%. So yeah around there. Wolf is 98%.

Teh Future

Smash Master
I think you can only CG characters that high if your dthrow is decayed.

So if you grab mk at 46% w/ a fresh dthrow he can escape.

Hylian

Administrator
BRoomer
Switch FC
2687-7494-5103
Well yeah, this is assuming you started at 0% or have decayed it already.

Top Bottom