• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I cant kill with Luigi

HybridFlames

Smash Rookie
Lately I can't kill with luigi ik his kill moves
up or down throw to a cyclone
up b
side b (misfire)
his back air (hitting the sweet spot)
back throw
most of the moves i listed are based on a bit of luck or have a high risk factor i know i should use a down throw to set up but sometimes i cant grab my opponent what do you luigi mains do to kill? i dont mind luigi taking a while to kill but they will live at 150% and thats way to much i mean characters such as bowser or dk cant be helped but
is there a way i can set up better? or even kill faster?

PowerPuffPlayer

Smash Apprentice
up b
side b (misfire)
back throw
most of the moves i listed are based on a bit of luck or have a high risk factor i know i should use a down throw to set up but sometimes i cant grab my opponent what do you luigi mains do to kill? i dont mind luigi taking a while to kill but they will live at 150% and thats way to much i mean characters such as bowser or dk cant be helped but
Well when I play Luigi, I can get a quick kill at around 100-110% with his side and up smash (Uncharged/charged). But other than the ones you mentioned and his smashes, I can't think of another way to kill at low percentages. I have that problem a lot as well. You'll have better luck talking to a Luigi main. :4luigi:

BlackCore8

Smash Apprentice
NNID
BLCore
up b
side b (misfire)
back throw
I play Luigi sometimes and I know he requires practice with his down throw to down b at high percent, since some players can escape it sometimes. Bowser and DK are easy to punish due to their laggy smash attacks. If your opponent is wide open for a punish, then go for a close range up B for an early kill. Hope this helps!

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
I have this problem sometimes, too. If you know that you're opponent is slippery, trying going for a grab at around 80%, that Cyclone is deceptively powerful. You can also abuse up smash, as long as you pivot it. Up throw can kill at crazy percents, as well. If you can read an air dodge, neutral air should kill as long as you're in the air.

HybridFlames

Smash Rookie
i went into the lab today trying to test it out im getting better with the kill i just have to charge his up smash more if you dont charge it some characters will live at ridiculous percents and i agree with the up or down throw cyclone can kill early but at the same time i dont like to be predictable tho so im changing up my game a little bit approaching with weegee is always a struggles tho xD

Aquatics

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aquapk
mash until the last few frames and hitboxes of down b, carry them either left or right of their di. put rage in factor too

Xavix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xavix5
Here are some things I've learned about getting those kill setups:
  • Forward Smash is risky, but extremely rewarding. Up-smash has less risk, but less reward. Down smash shouldn't be used to kill.
  • You mentioned having trouble landing those grabs. Fireballs are a great tool to help land those hard to get grabs, and watch your opponents habits to find any patterns and punish with grab.
  • mash until the last few frames and hitboxes of down b, carry them either left or right of their di. put rage in factor too
    not too much I can add to that.
  • Down throw to FJP also works on heavies with bad DI.
    To my understanding, this works on the entire cast, but some won't be killed before they leave the range where this works, and it works on heavies especially well. (Correct me if I'm wrong though.)
  • D-throw > sweetspot D-air works at a specific percent range, take them to the edge of the stage and give it a try!
  • Finally, don't attempt D-throw to Side-b in a competitive environment. As hype as it is, most of the time it just leaves you wide open to a punish.
Hope this helps!

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
  • To my understanding, this works on the entire cast, but some won't be killed before they leave the range where this works, and it works on heavies especially well. (Correct me if I'm wrong though.)
It can be performed on the whole cast, but Jigglypuff and Mewtwo are probably the ones who can be killed before it stops working. It's most effective on heavyweights.

FUEGO!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MontyRattata
Down throw to full hop Cyclone is always the earliest kill set-up, with Down throw Up B coming into factor when characters hit around 120% (150% on some heavys), but that's only if you've conditioned him into the DI.

Otherwise, playing a patient game with walking and poking is find until you can find an opening with your frames of intangibility of Upsmash. Really, around 100% I can sometimes just walk up to the opponent and Up smash and it will hit because they were not expecting a fast, raw kill option from Luigi.

Last edited:

Aquatics

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Aquapk
lol also if they're at 110-120 depending on stage position , grab to d-throw and wait and bait the f-smash. it sometimes works because theyre not expecting it

Top Bottom