• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I think DK is underated

Goomboi

Smash Apprentice
Dk is underrated, he should be high tier if you ask me, but he definitely not as good as bowser. Heavies will never be top tier.

Goomboi

Smash Apprentice
Personally I think lower high, because he has a lot going for him.

Bobert

"...And His Music Was Electric"
NNID
MetallicBlur
Switch FC
SW-1415-6753-4608
He MIGHT be around mid at best. I did think he was one of the worst until recently. He has a decent neutral, and he's definitely one of the most devastating characters when he gets his advantage state rolling, if not actually the most devastating. People always talk about Ganondorf being one of the most terrifying characters when he gets in on you, but DK is much more terrifying when he opens you up. DK is one of the very best characters at getting 0-deaths if you know what you're doing. Funny enough, my last game I played with him was me basically winning neutral three times in one game and killing my opponent from 0% three times in a row. Literally was maybe a minute long match and could have been shorter.
So yeah. DK is definitely absolutely absurd in advantage.

However, main reason I only see DK being mid at best is because he has one of the worst disadvantage states in the entire game. He is likely the most vulnerable character to spikes and counters offstage due to his recovery being slow with no armor and going in a purely horizontal direction. It doesn't help that he also has a terrible airdodge in general at frame 4 and the directional version going almost nowhere, which also leads to him eating combos that shouldn't work at all due to said airdodge combined with him having the largest hurtbox in the game. Things aren't much better on the ledge either. But DK has historically been terrible on the ledge. He can shield break people with headbutt shielding at the ledge, but that's about it. His get up options are terribly slow and some characters can cover his roll and normal getup/getup attack at the same time with one move. You'd think a character who's primary attack in his games is rolling would have a decent roll, but apparently not. With his issues in disadvantage, I can't really see him being any higher than the lower end of mid or maybe the literal middle.

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
DK is very polarizing as a character, while he has a good enough neutral , and even a great advantage and combo game, amidst with good power and speed, the trade off is way worse for him. He has the biggest overall body, and the worst disadvantage state in the game, and just about the easiest recovery to intercept, outside well, Ganon, Mac and Doc.

So he's combo food, and very easy to finish off. Get one hit in, and you're soaking up damage. Any character that has a decent projectile, or a ranged treat, therefore has a great advantage over DK.

What made him much better in Smash 4 was the more defensive engine, and shields being better. Grabbing was way more effective too. DK capitalized a lot from this. Right now shields and grabs are worse, meaning you'll take much more risk getting comboed around.

It becomes much more hard to deal with at higher levels of play. DK's raw power and speed mask a lot of these weaknesses, I love playing as him, always did. But his overall game plan is just way less effective in Ultimate.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
I'd agree he's a little underrated, as I sometimes see him placed bottom 5, which I feel is too harsh.

I think he really lives up to his title of "the king of swing" in Ultimate. He's fast, can kill mad early, and has great range. He can win matchups he has no business winning because his advantage, weight that means he often takes advantage of rage, and Giant Punch are absurdly good.

The problem is, his strengths are offset by extremely glaring weaknesses. He might have the most trouble escaping disadvantage in the entire cast, lacking a projectile, a teleport, multiple jumps, counter, armored/at least good hitbox for hitting from below on nair, a dair that can outrange things or hell, even a stall-and-fall dair. This is compounded with the fact that he's a huge target, and is often forced to rely on his airdodge, bad though it may be. Every other character has something, usually multiple somethings, to help in this regard, which speaks volumes to how bad of a drawback this is for DK. And what makes this worse, is his recovery and options for escaping the ledge are also very poor, making him among the few characters you want to try to edgeguard (And I personally find myself very frustrated now and again, at how great an edgeguarder DK could be if they had just given his recovery a little more vertical distance. Dying because I tried to take advantage of what should be great offstage tools while not even being that deep offstage feels bad, man). Aerials and projectiles being so free in Ultimate also means he doesn't get to take advantage of his grab game as much as he'd like. Oh yeah, projectiles, he sadly doesn't have an answer to them and lacks one of his own. And oh yeah, shield pressure... he has nair and up B as OOS options, but they're poor OOS options compared to the vast majority of other characters.

Sadly, all of this bogs the ape down, and it's a bit of a shame his weaknesses weren't mitigated more through buffs. I wouldn't want him to be a menace, mind, but he could have been a high tier threat still kept in check by the weaknesses you can't lessen, such as his size. As is, at least he's so fun that ya can't help but love playing him in spite of everything!

Top Bottom