• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I Wanna Start Training With Mario

a rookie

Smash Ace
Hi, I'm A Rookie (: Nice to meet someone trying to try out Mario. He's a fun character.

1. Full Hop Dair:
Use your dair to stuff a lot of aerials(most likely wanna start the dair before their aerial comes out so it doesn't trade), and it's also just a very good wall. Think of it as a mobile Peach dsmash since it does suck in the opponent if they get to close to it. And if you do end up hitting them w/ dair, you can follow up w/ a bair/upair/nair.

Short Hop Dair:
Use this one to shield poke/bait grabs(at certain heights). Also can be used to edgeguard Falcon/Spacies into dsmash(since the last hit of dair that sends them outward has a set knockback)

2. Waveland bairs:
can be used when they're shielding to bait out grabs and punish them or you can use them as a defensive technique as well to get away from the opponent.

SHFFL bairs:
use these to bait grabs as well. Bair on a shield(hit their shield midway to low, NOT HIGH since you can get shield grabbed) then DD and react to your opponent if they grab, to grab their grab. Lol. You can also use it as a shield pressure option. Do a mid - low bair on their shield, turn around jab/dsmash/grab? The possibilities are endless at that point.

3. Chain Throws throwing upward: Fox/Falco/Falcon.

Chain Throws throwing downward: Sheik/Roy/Link/Fox&Falco&Falcon(around 130%)/Young Link/Pikachu/Pichu(Maybe, not sure)

The percentages vary. But Sheik and Pikachu get out the earliest I think. (Sheik and Pika around 40% or less for sure)

4. Nair is an iffy approach. It gets easily stuffed/DD'ed grabbed. But if you do hit their shield, just sidestep right after and punish them for trying to shield grab you. But I would not recommend to try to cross up, it's way too slow and people CAN punish it out of shield.(Sheik's nair/Falcon's bair, etc.) Nair is good if you're trying to catch them jump out of shield though. Other than that, nair would have to be more of a mix-up than the common approach. A good approach is a fireball/upair/wavedash(use the momentum bair)

5. If you're trying to learn how to mash down b. Better break out that Mario Party game you have(or are gonna get lol). But I learned from Mario Party/Practicing Melee. In Melee, this is my process to try to get the maximum height:

- Walk of FD w/ a fair
- Use double jump ASAP
- Cape
- Then spam down b like this is the last stock of your tournament life

6. Practice your capes! Timing is VERY important. You can scare the heck out of spacies just by standing at the edge. Lol.

7. Wall jumps and up-b wall jumps are a very good mixup if someone's on the edge, it'll get them to roll up(shoutouts to Fruit Roll-Ups LOL)

8. Learn MU's! Learn what moves/tactics/combos work on who. Their weight, their combos on you, etc.

9. Combos! Up airs start off combos really well! Hit them w/ one well placed up air and then just follow up w/ whatever you want(this solely depends on % and what characters you hit the up air on).

10. You're not a robot! Mix it up! Adapt! Don't play on auto-pilot. Smart people will catch on to your little habits(rolling/spot dodging/shielding/etc.) So be sure to mix up your options, offensive and defensive-wise.

So practice practice! It really does make perfect. Well the perfect in your eyes. Good luck!

Top Bottom