• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I was thinking of setting up a tournament...

DumHonkey

Smash Cadet
Maybe someone can help.

I manage a small hotel on the Beach in Dayton Beach, FL. (My friend is the owner... he's 31 and I am 27 just so you know...)

Anyway, I would like to set up a beach side tournament. We could rent the rooms at a great price to competitors (of age of course) and we could set up TV's in the lobby and have a tourney.

I love the Smash Bros series, and I think this would be a great way to further my nerdom.

I have a lot of ideas. I would call is the Smash Beach Tourney.

Anyone want to trade ideas on how to make this work? Any tourney admin mind giving advice?

- DH

Pleas

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
A few things:
Read the stickies both in this room. Most tournaments from medium (32-64) to large (64+) size run a pools to double elimination bracket. In other words, you split the entrants into pools, then you take the top 2 or 3, or 4 people from each pool and seed them into a bracket.

The other important thing is the rules, if you have crappy rules you may get people to show but most of the good people will shy away. Read the sticky in the tournament listings room that is titled SBR recommended rule list, but also browse other threads to see there rules.

It might also be a good idea to post in the southern regional forums. Florida has a pretty large Smash community, they sent almost 20 players to Indiana over the summer and their local tournaments sometime encroach on the 100 person mark.

As for cash it depends what your going for attendance wise. Will you be taking a venue fee of some sort? I'm guessing not in this case because the Smashers may very well bring in a lot of money to the hotel. If you aren't having a venue fee and its a single day tournament then a $10-$20 entry fee is pretty standard. If your shooting for a larger, more serious crowd and you want to make it a multiple day event $20 entry is more appropriate. $20 is also not that bad for a single day tournament either, but be cautious, most tournaments run on the reputation of the person hosting them, that isn't to say you can't get people to come, but the more tournaments you hold the more success you will have. Finding the right balance between entry fee and attendance is key. If entry is to low few people will come because the pot won't be big, conversely if its to high people won't come simply because they don't have the extra cash. I would ask around in the southern regional forum about ideas from people who live in florida. Most tournaments pool all the entry money and then redistribute then entire pot for prizes, so a 10 person $10 tournament would have a $100 prize pool. Tournaments with less than 50/100 people usually split the money up 60/30/10 or 70/20/10 between 1st/2nd/3rd. Also note just about everyone runs both singles and doubles tournaments, with doubles occurring first.

Finally, www.nealpro.com download TIO, it'll basically make your tournament run by itself (almost).

DumHonkey

Smash Cadet
Thanks for the info. Alot to think about. I will work the structure accordingly. I was just thinking about how I could use the benefits of my job to meet those in the smash community. I'll PM you with any further thoughts.

Top Bottom