• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I wrote a Project M Pit Guide/Review in Spanish and English! Links here. Doing a lot more bi-lingual

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
I think this is probably better suited for an overview or maybe preview rather than a review. Also, I can't speak for the other Pits (and I'm not even a Pit player in the first place), but you might have wanted to reference or have spoken to the other senior Pit players prior to writing the guide.

It's not necessarily a bad thing that you didn't, but it could cause some sour feelings from the people who have already been playing the character for a long time. There's a fair amount of talent around this character already. Mentioning to follow you (a relatively new Pit player) and Armada (who, iirc does not play this game frequently--- nor does he practice) for meta-game development --- while also leaving them out --- seems a bit unfair, you know?

Last, but not least (and this is probably an unfair criticism, but...) with this and the CT tier list, I think the more... apparently authoritative approach rubs people the wrong way. While it's obvious that the EC generally has the most notable/followed creator content in the Smash community, I've also noticed that the EC has really been the only one to approach it this way. Maybe when writing from a new perspective, you might want to take more of a discussion-oriented approach next time.

Otherwise, good job!

Last edited:

TSM ZeRo

Banned via Administration
I think this is probably better suited for an overview or maybe preview rather than a review. Also, I can't speak for the other Pits (and I'm not even a Pit player in the first place), but you might have wanted to reference or have spoken to the other senior Pit players prior to writing the guide.

It's not necessarily a bad thing that you didn't, but it could cause some sour feelings from the people who have already been playing the character for a long time. There's a fair amount of talent around this character already. Mentioning to follow you (a relatively new Pit player) and Armada (who, iirc does not play this game frequently--- nor does he practice) for meta-game development --- while also leaving them out --- seems a bit unfair, you know?

Last, but not least (and this is probably an unfair criticism, but...) with this and the CT tier list, I think the more... apparently authoritative approach rubs people the wrong way. While it's obvious that the EC generally has the most notable/followed creator content in the Smash community, I've also noticed that the EC has really been the only one to approach it this way. Maybe when writing from a new perspective, you might want to take more of a discussion-oriented approach next time.

Otherwise, good job!
1.- Yes, the English version is reffered to as an 'Overview'! In Spanish that word doesn't translate well, better suited as 'review' there, I wrote the Spanish guide second, so that word was retained in my mind. My bad!

2.- Yes! I'm in contact with Armada all the time about Pit stuff. If anyone wants to talk to me about PM Pit, I'll gladly trade knowledge or share for future articles/information. Know anyone I could contact, perhaps?

3.- I actually totally agree. This is a common critique to my writing and I try my best to fix it with every piece I write. Do you have any type of advice to make my writing that way? I'd love to improve.

Thanks for reading and for the objective critique! Much appreciated.

Last edited:

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
1. Not a problem!
2. You're in the right board to ask, haha. Off the top of my head, you have Archangel, 5-1 (5-one), Blink and Mizuki, though.
3. I think the more you express that it's an opinion... phrases like: "I think this is good because..." rather than "This is good because" or... "In my testing x has been a bad MU", "I've experienced that [insert thing here] has been the best [other thing here] in my testing.", the more it seems I dunno inclusive? As for the last bit:

Express that you're looking forward to learning about the character, prompt/ask others to share their experiences (in terms of metagame development), maybe highlight things that you've observed in your study of the character, what some players tend to do more, etc. The last bit shows that you're aware of what you've seen in the past or from predecessors.

This is more important to this game compared to Brawl, where it is without a doubt that you are and expert of that game with loads of experience (your approaches to MK and Brawl writing highlight your authoritative knowledge here), whereas you are still relatively new to this one. Even if you are highly talented regardless. : )

It's more like... it shows that you're aware of the other scenes and what they're doing outside of the EC (which was something I felt lacked in the CT tier list in terms of characters --- rather than of players of a character --- in this case).

Last edited:

TSM ZeRo

1. Not a problem!
2. You're in the right board to ask, haha. Off the top of my head, you have Archangel, 5-1 (5-one), Blink and Mizuki, though.
3. I think the more you express that it's an opinion... phrases like: "I think this is good because..." rather than "This is good because" or... "In my testing x has been a bad MU", "I've experienced that [insert thing here] has been the best [other thing here] in my testing.", the more it seems I dunno inclusive? As for the last bit:

Express that you're looking forward to learning about the character, prompt/ask others to share their experiences (in terms of metagame development), maybe highlight things that you've observed in your study of the character, what some players tend to do more, etc. The last bit shows that you're aware of what you've seen in the past or from predecessors.

This is more important to this game compared to Brawl, where it is without a doubt that you are and expert of that game with loads of experience (your approaches to MK and Brawl writing highlight your authoritative knowledge here), whereas you are still relatively new to this one. Even if you are highly talented regardless. : )

It's more like... it shows that you're aware of the other scenes and what they're doing outside of the EC (which was something I felt lacked in the CT tier list in terms of characters --- rather than of players of a character --- in this case).
1.- :)
2- Gotcha, will contact these guys then!
3.- Alright, perfect advice. I'll keep it in mind to improve my writing for my next article, promise!

Also, yes, absolutely. I by no means meant that my point of view was finally, I mostly tried to just share what I've experienced/know, though, from the way I wrote it, it definitely doesn't feel exactly that way. I might re-edit the articles to reflect the way I feel in the topic.

Also yes! I'll be coming here often to talk about cool stuff related to PIt with fellow angels! :D

Also, the CT tier list was more of an opinion from the players of the team put into a tier list, more than anything. It's too soon to make an adequate and precise tier list, not to mention, game's constantly changing.

I appreciate your input very much and if you have anything else to add, don't hesitate to PM me or comment here or in other articles. I love improving in any way I can and strive for the best I can be.

TSM ZeRo

Updated with more-related pictures! Thanks for the input everyone.

If anyone wants to add anything to the guide, let me know. I'll gladly update both versions.

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I was actually working on a review but all of that is gone now....lol. I appreciate being considered for input on a review. I've also been in contact with the legend himself. He's a smart player and can probably provide insight on to general smart gameplay when it comes to pit. Mizuki and Raynex know a lot of frame-data and what is safe and what isn't more than anyone else including myself. I more or less rely on a mix of theory and experience but I am generally not as smart in any one area but I've got a collection of knowledge and info that I'd be happy to share. I don't know if I'll write my own again...losing all that work was just...heart breaking :(.

TSM ZeRo

I was actually working on a review but all of that is gone now....lol. I appreciate being considered for input on a review. I've also been in contact with the legend himself. He's a smart player and can probably provide insight on to general smart gameplay when it comes to pit. Mizuki and Raynex know a lot of frame-data and what is safe and what isn't more than anyone else including myself. I more or less rely on a mix of theory and experience but I am generally not as smart in any one area but I've got a collection of knowledge and info that I'd be happy to share. I don't know if I'll write my own again...losing all that work was just...heart breaking :(.
I'm actually very sorry that I disrupted your work unintentionally. Perhaps we could work on a new project together and release it somewhere. How about that?

Archangel

Smash Hero
NNID
combat22386
I'm actually very sorry that I disrupted your work unintentionally. Perhaps we could work on a new project together and release it somewhere. How about that?
you misunderstand me. I'm not saying I won't do it because you've made this guide. My computer got a virus and erased all of my ****! lol. However, I'd be glad to work with you and all of the other OG pits on a super guide Including MU's.

TSM ZeRo

you misunderstand me. I'm not saying I won't do it because you've made this guide. My computer got a virus and erased all of my ****! lol. However, I'd be glad to work with you and all of the other OG pits on a super guide Including MU's.
Oops! :p

That'd be sweet. I got a bit of experience fighting Mew2King last weekend (Along with NinjaLink, Rolex and John Numbers). Managed to win 1/3 of the games vs his Fox, and got some solid wins in there too. Will be glad to help in any way I can!

5-oNe

Smash Apprentice
im soooooo late on this.lol.but i think this would be a great idea since we all seem to have alot of different mu experience.

5-oNe

Smash Apprentice
im actually going to be making a pit guide video this saturday for our chicago scene. we have an event called smash 101 where the top players do a lesson on their character. talk about some basics, mu knowledge, and some more advanced things.so i can post here first when it gets put up

Synkhronisity

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5472-6514-0195
Thanks for the guide. Learning Pit isn't as easy as I thought it would be, but this is helping me figure him out a bit more.

Jmanthedragonguy

Smash Rookie
Hello, first post here :D. I'm still pretty new, and picked up Pit as an alternate main recently because he is extremely versatile and fun. I found ZeRo's post to be a great starting point, and Archangel's (and all the Windy City Smash) tutorial to be very informative. I feel like someone should expand on different grab follow-ups on different weight classes a little more indepthly though.
Maybe it's because I am still noob but I am struggling with different follow-ups. Against fast fallers, I usually chain grab them a few times, and then do a running dash attack. Is this the best option, or is a short hopped aerial better?
Also my friend mains Ivysaur, and I'm having trouble stringing moves vs. him because he seems to puff away from everything with his aerials. Half the time when I try to F-air him off stage, I get pelted by his D-air instead. Any tips?

5-oNe

Smash Apprentice
Hello, first post here :D. I'm still pretty new, and picked up Pit as an alternate main recently because he is extremely versatile and fun. I found ZeRo's post to be a great starting point, and Archangel's (and all the Windy City Smash) tutorial to be very informative. I feel like someone should expand on different grab follow-ups on different weight classes a little more indepthly though.
Maybe it's because I am still noob but I am struggling with different follow-ups. Against fast fallers, I usually chain grab them a few times, and then do a running dash attack. Is this the best option, or is a short hopped aerial better?
Also my friend mains Ivysaur, and I'm having trouble stringing moves vs. him because he seems to puff away from everything with his aerials. Half the time when I try to F-air him off stage, I get pelted by his D-air instead. Any tips?
for the fast fallers, it depends on the di.sometimes you can only follow up with the dash attack.i usually chain grab them until around 90ish and if they di away i regrab. and if they di straight up then i go for a dair to continue the string of aerials to death. and with more floaty characters you can only reach them with uair (if they di correctly). and continue off of that. and with the ivysaur it sounds like you might no be using your arrows enough and are putting yourself in a bad position. you really shouldnt be under somebody as pit when they are off stage. if you are under him enough to get hit by his dair then you shouldnt be fairing at that point.uair would be a better choice. i still dont recommend this though. you might have to space your fairs better and wait for him to dair.and if you dont think you can reach in time use a arrow. then follow up.

Jmanthedragonguy

Smash Rookie
for the fast fallers, it depends on the di.sometimes you can only follow up with the dash attack.i usually chain grab them until around 90ish and if they di away i regrab. and if they di straight up then i go for a dair to continue the string of aerials to death. and with more floaty characters you can only reach them with uair (if they di correctly). and continue off of that. and with the ivysaur it sounds like you might no be using your arrows enough and are putting yourself in a bad position. you really shouldnt be under somebody as pit when they are off stage. if you are under him enough to get hit by his dair then you shouldnt be fairing at that point.uair would be a better choice. i still dont recommend this though. you might have to space your fairs better and wait for him to dair.and if you dont think you can reach in time use a arrow. then follow up.
Thanks for the response, it's really cool when the professional players help us little guys :D
Your advise vs. fast fallers was really helpful and is really helping me take more advantage of getting a grapple, and getting more out of it. Makes the match-up a whole lot easier! (Good spacies still overwhelm me though). As for floaties, like Ivysaur, I'm still not there yet with my fair chains, and sometimes I get a little too tenacious and get punished for it. Hopefully with more practice I can get more fluid with my combos.
I'm starting to acquire some bad habits though. I kept getting my fair and dair approaches shieldgrabbed because of bad spacing, so now I seem to approach alot with my neutral air, into down tilt. I'm getting away with it now, but against better players I'm confident I'll be punished hard haha.

5-oNe

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the response, it's really cool when the professional players help us little guys :D
Your advise vs. fast fallers was really helpful and is really helping me take more advantage of getting a grapple, and getting more out of it. Makes the match-up a whole lot easier! (Good spacies still overwhelm me though). As for floaties, like Ivysaur, I'm still not there yet with my fair chains, and sometimes I get a little too tenacious and get punished for it. Hopefully with more practice I can get more fluid with my combos.
I'm starting to acquire some bad habits though. I kept getting my fair and dair approaches shieldgrabbed because of bad spacing, so now I seem to approach alot with my neutral air, into down tilt. I'm getting away with it now, but against better players I'm confident I'll be punished hard haha.
as long as you can see the mistakes you are making then u will continue to improve.and i used to be in love with nair too.it seemed so good and then the punishes started happening and i learned real quick.but since you know already, you just have to start breaking that habit before its too late.now i use nair once a game IF THAT. ill throw it out there if im recovering with glide near the stage and thats about it.and yeah just keep working on spacing. cause u really shouldnt be getting grabbed.i get so upset whenever i get grabbed like that cause i know it shouldnt happen.lol

Life

Smash Hero
I get criticized for nairing a lot lol. I find it's usually good for catching someone in the air, as it often leads to a grab in that situation and is easier to connect with than fair--but it's easy to CC so you have to be careful about it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom