• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mario Universe If Mario had a character flaw, what would it be?

Kokirian

Smash Rookie
What would be the fatal flaw in Mario's character that a villain would use against him?

VillageofFitness

Smash Apprentice
His staggering sense of guilt/duty. He saves the princess unflinchingly everytime, yet never stops considers WHY the princess gets captured all the time, or the lack of reward (unless he's just got a thing for kisses on the nose/cake). And why? Mario's no fool, he's pondered it dozens of times, but in the end, it gives him a purpose, something to do. Think about it, Mario was a plumber, possibly in New York. Who, in that stage of his life, ever rewarded him for his deeds? Probably no one, which is why a kiss on the nose/cake sounds so glamourous.

MarioAnIke

Smash Cadet
NNID
LuigiCheezburger
Power-ups. Take starman for instance. It would be the hardest thing to beat the little brat bowser jr. when he has a star.

XTheElegantShadowX

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3625-7979-8675
The fact that he's a sociopath, womanizing, ******* that can't let Luigi have anything and does everything in his power to make sure that everyone in the Mushroom Kingdom know their place around him. XD

Please tell me that someone here knows of what I'm referencing? :3

MarioAnIke

Smash Cadet
NNID
LuigiCheezburger
The fact that he's a sociopath, womanizing, ******* that can't let Luigi have anything and does everything in his power to make sure that everyone in the Mushroom Kingdom know their place around him. XD

Please tell me that someone here knows of what I'm referencing? :3

GAME THEORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
That he isn't Luigi.

and by that I mean of course, he lacks any sort of depth in character; he's brave and friendly, and that's great but he doesn't have any sort of personality flaw that makes him into a better character.

Mario's biggest flaw is ironically; his lack of a flaw.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Mario's biggest flaw is that he's actually a huge jerk, and someone can exploit that about him and make it widely known to knock him down a few pegs.

He also just has a lot of dirt that can be exposed.

While the main games portray Mario as a soulless hero, the Mario Sports games paint him as a huge jerk. Some more obscure titles and little tidbits you can find hidden between the lines also expose him. For example, Mario has clearly had a little fling with Daisy (the ending of Super Mario Land), yet Nintendo still tries to push Luigi and Daisy as a couple. Not only would this imply that Mario cheated on Peach at some point (since Super Mario Land came out after Mario was established as Peach's lover, and there is nothing to say it's set before Mario's relationship with Peach or even an alternate universe, since Peach and Daisy now co-exist in many games. And while Pauline was once Mario's lover but Nintendo confirmed that they "split up and are now just good friends", they never did this for Peach, to make it possible to assume Mario split up with Peach, then ended up with Daisy, split up with Daisy, and ended up back with Peach - it can only be deduced that Mario had an affair with Daisy WHILE committed to Peach), but this essentially means Daisy is a hand-me-down from Mario to Luigi, which is kinda sick. And considering how Mario is often a jerk to Luigi, it's hard to interpret it as good natured in anyway.

There is a Game Theory 2-parter that basically diagnoses Mario as a sociopath. It's all based on facts from the games, so it's very easy to interpret him as such.

And while I know Game Theory is not always very good and can often be based on assumptions, their work in this case was right on the mark.

Twewy

Smash Lord
The fact he's eager to punch a guy if he has to. In Super Mario RPG he had a very short fuse.

Duck SMASH!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
C.Piglet
His predictability in his personality, and his inability to learn from past experience.
Despite all the **** Bowser has pulled in the past, Mario and Peach both fail to provide any lasting protection for her.....

Twewy

Smash Lord
His lack of a personality. The guy's about as bland as a wall.
From the games he has a personality, you can tell he's a kindhearted guy that likes helping people and he's super (no pun intended) friendly. His character flaws are that he's impulsive and eager to fight without knowing the whole picture and, depending on the source, really hates losing in competitions.

Nintendo keeps his personality simple and doesn't really focus on it so the character can be used in just about any setting and work. It's not like Mario really needs much of a fleshed out personality, and when he does it always seems to leak out in the RPGs.

IvanQuote

Smash Ace
NNID
ivanquote
3DS FC
1693-3075-2999
I agree that his impulsiveness is the main flaw. He's a jack of all trades (and probably knows it), so throwing in a new activity will not deter him, due to his tenacity. For the same reason, playing with his mind/emotions will not help. Not even apparent hopelessness can bog down his disgustingly optimistic nature (see last world of Super Paper Mario). The best way to beat him to is to lead him on an adventure FAR away from what the villain is doing, then hit him with a curveball harder and faster than he figures out what is going on (Luigi 's Mansion, Super Princess Peach, penultimate chapter of Super Paper Mario, etc)

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
Mario has a weakness for women

Peach, Daisy, Pauline

Probably Toadette on the side

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
Besides his impulsiveness, I think I've figured out a big one. Keep in mind this loads the headcannon a bit, as it postulates more from what little personality he's shown through gameplay and the RPGs (like what @ Twewy Twewy described it), which gets into how little personality he shows has him fit the "classic hero" archetype nearly to a T. Let's light the fuse:

Mario's biggest character flaw is philistine, naïve sense of judgement. Outside of a few erroneous events, just about everything Mario's committed himself to was for the greater good; save the princess from the evil king koopa, reclaim the Mushroom Kingdom from the Koopa Army, help out others in need, save the world from darkness, etc. He lives upon a code of altruism and justice, which he has chosen to become a paragon of.

This has resulted in painting his worldview a glimmering white. As long as it's "for the greater good", it must be right. No matter the means or the payoff. He's genocidal, as he smashed tons of bricks, used many power-ups, and stomped many of Bowser's presumed baddies to save the Mushroom Kingdom after he learns about how the Koopa's turned its citizens into those through black magic. He has killed many creatures such as Wigglers, Cheep Cheeps, Shy Guys, and Biddybugs - who never show any malicious intent towards him - just because they happened to be obstacles in the way of his goal. Even races with strong ties to Bowser's army like the Goombas may just be trying to live their own peaceful lives or mind their own business, only for Mario to crush them on sight because of the possibility of being affiliated with the enemy. His subordination of characters like Luigi and Yoshi speak of his lust to hog the spotlight, frontrunning the show so everyone can bask in his inflated glory. He's a stickler for superficial relationships, risking his life to save Peach for the same cake and/or kiss every time while they don't develop deeper affection. Only because Peach's a benevolent ruler, he thinks his goodness makes him worthy to be with someone like her.

Last edited:

Bluehaven

Smash Lurker
3DS FC
1177-9167-4164
I know this thread is pretty much dead but I like to add my two cents as well. :) I believe that one of Mario's flaws would be that no matter how hard he tries, he can never escape the life of a hero. Think about it. Wouldn't you be sick and tired rescuing some princess from a monster for the billionth time already? Mario is secretly stressed on whenever the situation is dire and order to not show his weakness puts a mask. A mask of optimisim and happiness. Mario shows a smile on the outside, but on the inside he's filled with sadness. He has to be perfect and show no flaws as everybody expects the best of him because he is a hero. I would think that a part of Mario secretly hates his role as the hero of his land. But a noble part in his heart stops that hate from ever growing.

Twewy

Smash Lord
I think you're getting too deep for a children's video game there, champ.

Freduardo

Smash Champion
Probably stubbornness. I mean, his personality was created to be very similar to Mickey Mouse, so he probably contains the same character flaws. Stubborn, if insulted or called weak or small needs to show them how super he can be and doesn't just let things go, thinks he can fix everything regardless of actual skills (Mario, we've worked a bunch of construction jobs! A lab coat doesn't make you a doctor! Where did you get those pills? THAT'S NOT HOW YOU ADMINISTER A SUPPOSITORY!), hopeful and cheerful to a point where it could be oblivious to the world around him (The princess just got taken, the king is nowhere to be found or has been turned into an animal, there are airships reigning destruction down upon us and armored soldiers of the enemy everywhere..... and you keep saying 'wahoo' everytime you jump.) Also oblivious to the needs of others if something he really finds fun is present, (So why'd you stand Peach up? Cause King Boo said he could drive a go-kart faster than you? Luigi is trembling and defecating in his overalls, he clearly does not want to go on a two man quest to oust a dragon and his army.... you're dragging him along anyway? Ooookay then.) he has no concept of time (How the hell did he work as the punch out referee and call those three minute rounds?!? That clock is obviously broken!)

And he'd ditch everyone around him to address the audience of his stage show (Mario 3) to make sure they know "Thank-a-you so much-a for playin' my game!"

And he's kind of two faced. Sure Lakitu, you can be my camera man...

Lakitu. I need that cloud. You're going down.

Sarki Soliloquy

Smash Champion
I think you're getting too deep for a children's video game there, champ.
Gotta say, I'm surprised you would only single out his post after I cracked open a psychological spool of **** on Mario with my theory! >,>

And he's kind of two faced. Sure Lakitu, you can be my camera man...

Lakitu. I need that cloud. You're going down.
My my, aren't the unfortunate implications of genocide and megalomania with Nintendo characters just fun!?

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Probably his extreme, Hercules-rivaling bravery. Mario is so damn brave to the point that it teeters on impulsiveness. He jumps (pun not intended) right into action and never second-guesses himself, and while that may be a good thing sometimes, Mario's refusal to actually dwell on or reflect on things can sometimes make him his own worst enemy. Luigi was always the smarter of the Bros.

Pic

Smash Rookie
NNID
Lupic
Switch FC
SW-1753-6315-6221
i think mario's biggest flaw is that he always runs to the enemy without any plan/without thinking.

MattOnwheels

Smash Ace
So if I can be serious?

His actual character flaws are his gluttony and laziness when not adventuring.

/thread

Mamboo07

Smash Hero
Dropping his friend Yoshi over a pit for a second jump
another one: doesn't care about improving Peach's castle security to protect her from Bowser

Last edited:
Top Bottom